Sound issues and mint update!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zophixan

Sound issues and mint update!

Post by Zophixan »

Hiya, I booted up ubuntu today, and just noticed that my sound has stopped working! I might have updated linux last time I booted on, is there anyway to find out what caused soiund to stop working? Nothing is muted! I think mint update can reverse changes, but not sure how to do so, could someone guide me through it? Ta.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Sound issues and mint update!

Post by tenfoot »

Hi!

I had the same problem but eventually managed to find the answer.

Here is what I posted at the time:

------------------------------------------
Yet another follow up to my posts regarding sound problems. This evening I downloaded the Ubuntu Full Circle Magazine, No. 14, in which there was a question regarding the absence of sound after an upgrade. I followed the instructions given in the answer by going into a terminal and logging in as root and then

$ find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd

which returned nothing, and then

$ sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` linux-generic

I now have sound.
--------------------------------------
Hope it is of some assistance.

BTW, I have now adopted the practice of only downloading updates which fall in the "1" and "2" category and try to resist "fiddling" with the system :-)

tenfoot

which downloaded and installed the missing files.

I now have sound :D
Zophixan

Re: Sound issues and mint update!

Post by Zophixan »

woohoo! I have sound! Thanks a bunch =D

Return to “Beginner Questions”