Tumblerd maxing-out processors (Unresolved Issue - Bugzilla)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Myself

Tumblerd maxing-out processors (Unresolved Issue - Bugzilla)

Post by Myself »

Tumblerd maxing-out the processors and sending temperatures soaring to 86C. LMDE Xfce 64bit.

It was only using 10Mb of RAM but CPU usage was jumping from 50 to 98% and slowing down everything else. I understand this program is required for thumbnailing of video files but it is seriously buggy. I have done some searching on the web and found the link posted below but I have not found any solution except my own which is to stop it using Task Manager. Anyone know of a more permanent solution to this serious bug?

http://old.nabble.com/Tumblerd-causes-s ... 39932.html

Another link that shows this is a known issue.
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7384
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Myself

Re: Tumblerd maxing-out processors (Unresolved Issue - Bugzi

Post by Myself »

Is it possible to remove this damned pest of a process without damaging LMDE Xfce?
It's basically the equivalent to malware!
It launches itself when it feels like it and takes over the processor/s completely making them constantly run very hot.
I stop it with Task Manager and don't find it any loss when it's stopped.
So, can it it be safely removed completely?
Myself

Post by Myself »

This problem has not been resolved by upgrading to Update Pack 4.
Bergschreck

Post by Bergschreck »

tumblerd is still extremely buggy. Sometimes it consumes the whole memory (I have 2 GB RAM) and system begins swapping. When it tries to thumbnail video files with codecs it does not know (like wmv3), it does not close the file, keeps them open forever and therefore prevents unmounting drives.

Is there any alternative solution for generating thumbnails for Thunar?
compiler

Post by compiler »

Hi.

It's the second time in a week that I have to quickly "kill -9" tumblerd before the machine completely crashes.

I was renaming files in a folder with 20 small (~100MB) avi files with thunar and the computer began to work very slowly. Running top showed that tumblerd was eating 100% of CPU and 4 GB of memory.

Tumblerd also prevents me lots of times to umount my multimedia disk or pendrives, because the process has still opened files from the mount point (you can see this with lsof -n | grep the_mount_point). I have to open a terminal, kill the process and then I can umount the external drive.

I like having thumbnails of pictures and videos, but having to reset a 6GB computer because I'm renaming 20 video files and being unable to umount pendrives it's not OK...
RJim

Post by RJim »

Bergschreck wrote:tumblerd is still extremely buggy. Sometimes it consumes the whole memory (I have 2 GB RAM) and system begins swapping. When it tries to thumbnail video files with codecs it does not know (like wmv3), it does not close the file, keeps them open forever and therefore prevents unmounting drives.
I was being recently puzzled by some sdcards and USB sticks of mine refusing to unmount, and now I know the reason why... tumblerd.
My temporary/semi-permanent solution is the same that I am using for polkitd, and that is to have a cron job that kills the process every 30 minutes.

It is not elegant, but it does get the job done. :)

--Jim
twolf

Post by twolf »

I quote this issue: it's the same for me !
Tumblerd choking cpu and preventing filesystems to be safely unmounted.
Linux Mint 13 XFCE.

Does anyone know how to correctly restart tumblerd process after killing it ? Of course it's a workaround as I really hope someone could fix this embarassing bug before 2017 (LTS)....sorry for the humor :P

Thanks
twolf

Post by twolf »

Meanwhile, I made this script as a homemade workaround to prevent annoying blocks without giving up enjoy thumbnails previews. After testing for two weeks it works fine for me. Execute it at user session start.
Advice and news are welcome.
Bye bye

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Tumblerdwatcher v 1.0
# Script to check and kill tumblerd process if a loop is suspected. To be automatically scheduled at user session start.
# Homemade workaround for bug: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=97079&p=767460&hilit=tumblerd#p554241
# The author has no responsibility for the execution. Feel free to distribute and modify it.
# Advice are welcome to rs2809@yahoo.it.

period=60						# check period (sec)
process="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/tumbler-1/tumblerd"	# tumblerd binary path
Pcpu=20							# tolerated cpu usage (%)
Pmem=25							# tolerated memory usage (%)
mountpath="/media"					# automatic mount point for removable storage
sec=10							# time limit (sec) for opened file at $mountpath for thumbnail generation
sg="-15"						# process termination signal (-15 is OK)
logpath="/tmp/Tumblerdwatcher.log"			# log path							

cat /dev/null > $logpath
exec >$logpath 2>&1
# reset log file

while true
# execute endlessly

do

sleep $period
# wait a set period of time

[[ `ps -ef | grep $process | grep -v 'grep' | wc -l` -eq 0 ]] && continue
# skip to next period if not executing

ps -eo pcpu,pid,pmem,args | grep $process | grep -v 'grep' | while read dpcpu pid dpmem
# catch proccess id, cpu usage and memory usage

do

pcpu=`echo $dpcpu | cut -d'.' -f1`
  pmem=`echo $dpmem | cut -d'.' -f1`

[[ $pcpu -gt $Pcpu ]] || [[ $pmem -gt $Pmem ]] && kill $sg $pid && echo "`date` PID $pid $pcpu/$Pcpu %cpu $pmem/$Pmem %mem" && continue
# if cpu usage or memory usage exceed, kill it and report values in the log file

[[ `lsof -p $pid | grep $mountpath | wc -l` -eq 0 ]] && continue
# if no opened file by tumblerd at removable storage mountpoint, skip to next period

lsof -p $pid | grep $mountpath | tr -s ' ' | cut -d' ' -f9 > /tmp/tumblerd.lsof.old
# list opened files

sleep $sec
# wait for tolerated time limit

[[ `lsof -p $pid | grep $mountpath | wc -l` -eq 0 ]] && continue
# if no more opened file skip to next period

lsof -p $pid | grep $mountpath | tr -s ' ' | cut -d' ' -f9 > /tmp/tumblerd.lsof.new
# list opened files again

for opened_file in `cat /tmp/tumblerd.lsof.old`
# if some file was open before....
   do

grep $opened_file /tmp/tumblerd.lsof.new && kill $sg $pid && echo "`date` PID $pid ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^" && continue
# ...and it's still hung open, kill tumblerd
   done

done

done
Tuna_130
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tuna_130 »

Thanks twolf! It Seems to do the trick for me!
Reposted in SolydXK forum!
zerofossilfuel

Post by zerofossilfuel »

twolf wrote:Meanwhile, I made this script as a homemade workaround to prevent annoying blocks without giving up enjoy thumbnails previews. After testing for two weeks it works fine for me. Execute it at user session start.
Advice and news are welcome.
Bye bye
It's not often I bother to join a forum just to say thank you, but this is an exception to the rule.
Thank you! I will be sharing this everywhere!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

zerofossilfuel wrote:It's not often I bother to join a forum just to say thank you, but this is an exception to the rule.
Thank you! I will be sharing this everywhere!
This issue is still present almost three years later, lol? :roll:

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”