Root password?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Root password?

Post by T J Tulley »

During installation of Elyssa the option is offered to define a root password, but this is not recommended. The program states that if it is not set, an arbitrary password will be allocated.

Now during a failed boot process, I am asked to enter the root password in order to undertake maintenance. Is is possible to discover the password set by the system?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
miket

Re: Root password?

Post by miket »

Hi !
T J Tulley wrote:During installation of Elyssa the option is offered to define a root password, but this is not recommended. The program states that if it is not set, an arbitrary password will be allocated.

Now during a failed boot process, I am asked to enter the root password in order to undertake maintenance. Is is possible to discover the password set by the system?
Nope ... and the recommendation is incorrect !
A root password should ALWAYS be set during installation !!!

What is causing your boot to fail ?

Mike.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Root password?

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Mike:
Causing boot to fail? Long story - see post topic "Please help - - " in this forum dated 19/8/08.

At that time I was seeing in the boot screen "fsck failed - do it manually" with other stuff - then BusyBox. This morning that screen doesn't appear - but I get BusyBox after about 30 secs of reciprocating progress bar.
Recovery mode shows at end of its log:

"Mounting /root/dev on /dev/static/dev failed - no such file or directory
Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed - no such fille or directory
Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed - no such fille or directory
Target system doesn't have /sbin/init"

Then BusyBox appears. Meanwhile I'm fed up with having to handle Firefox and webmail on this laptop under Win-XP (without external hd connected - see other post, topic "New install on laptop won't start" dated 18/8/08 in this forum).

I'm next going to try that external (USB) hd on the PC - using Supergrub and booting directly - but I'm worried because of inconsistency in /boot/grub/device.map between that install and the native one in the PC.

Thanks again -
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”