Phantom wireless connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RogCat

Phantom wireless connection

Post by RogCat »

All very new to this linux stuff. Been trying to find a solution to this problem but have turned up nothing. I am using Dayrna

I have a Intel 3945ABG Wireless Network connection on my HP dv6500t laptop. The connection is made and my home wireless network is recognized. It shows around 80% strength however I cannot actually connect to the internet in any way at all (as in open a web page or download updates). I have tried changing DNS numbers and still get nothing.

For sure it will be something simple, but anyway I will appreciate any words of wisdom.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Phantom wireless connection

Post by Husse »

The connection is made
Can you browse your LAN?
Please always be quite specific
Take a look at this post and the one immediately after
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ifi#p96383
BAD

Post by BAD »

DO you have a firewall set up Firestarter or Guardog? If so turn it off then try it again.
RogCat

Post by RogCat »

Thanks for both replies. Re: firewall. If isn´t included in the dayrna download then I don´t think I have one activated.

The light indicating the wireless connection turns blue, and my house connection comes up. I connect to the house wireless and it shows the bars on the icon indicating a strength of around 80%. Any browsing doesn´t go anywhere as it says there is no connection.

I have tired inputing the data from the other post you mention. But it returns "error fetching interface information: device not found"

I have tried to understand from other locations what I am doing, but as I am complete novice its tough. Nothing like a challenge.

Thanks again.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Does it connect to the internet with a wired connection?
RogCat

Post by RogCat »

Sorted out but dont know why or how. Checked the wired connection and it immediately showed, though still couldnt get anything on firefox. Decided to try Thunderbird anyway which then connected and then Firefox. So tried the wireless connection again and now that is working as well. ????

Anyway, thanks again for your time and input.

RogCat
RogCat

Post by RogCat »

Maybe wrote to soon. I had to do a reboot for a Nvidia driver and then there was nothing. Disabled the Nvidia driver again and rebooted again and still nothing.
Trying to remember what else I did that could have lead to the connection happening and then stopping again.

RC
Husse

Post by Husse »

Do you have a nforce motherboard?
I've seen some really strange reports that some module the nvidia video card is using is interfering with some nvidia module for networking - can't remember if it was wireless or wired though
RogCat

Post by RogCat »

Hello,
The laptop is a Intel (R) 2 Duo Core T7250. The Nvidia car is the geforce 8400M GS

Will play around with things agan today and let you know if I make any progress.

Cheeers,

RC
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

You connect to the router, but the router doesn't let you talk to the internet? No love with wireless, switch to wired and get internet, then switch back to wireless and you're still good.

I think you need to start with your router and with DHCP.

Get a wireless connection and go to 192.168.1.1 and see if you can talk directly to your router. R-click your network icon and check your connection information to see if you've been assigned an IP. If you haven't, you're not getting DHCP. If you're not assigned an IP, your router isn't letting you talk even though you have a "connection". Disable DHCP on your end by assigning yourself a static IP. See if that helps.

My theory is that your router is slow on DHCP to assign you an IP, and thus also isn't forwarding your TCP traffic upstream. Having a "connection" just means there is a link, wired or wireless, and the "strength meter" says nothing about the traffic on that link.

Return to “Beginner Questions”