Amarok 2.0 beta

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Amarok 2.0 beta

Post by locutus »

Beta of Amarok 2 was released today, but it needs KDE 4.1, which as far as I can tell is not in our repositories. Also requires taglib v1.5, but only v1.4 is in the repositories. I'd love to see how it works but it looks like a lot of work getting Mint ready.

Is it worth the effort? Does KDE 4.1 have to be running or just installed? That is, can I run KDE 3.5.9 and still get Amarok 2.0 working?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Amarok 2.0 beta

Post by msuggs »

You'll have to install the necessary 4.1 libraries to run Amarok 2.0. I'm not sure if it would then run within a 3.5.9 environment. Can't see why not. There is a thread on the forums somewhere on trying 4.1 using the kubuntu repos.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Here tis

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 387#p94561

I'd try adding the 4.1 repos then just installing amaroK 2.0
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

omns wrote: I'd try adding the 4.1 repos then just installing amaroK 2.0
Yep, that worked. And I like it better than Amarok 1.4: there's no lag between clicking on a song and it starting to play; it's instant. Interestingly, I'm running it in the 3.5.9 enviorment, yet when I click Help -> About there are two options, Amarok and KDE. If I select KDE it says I'm running 4.1, not 3.5.9. Obviously has to do with the needed background files, but still it was kinda odd that it didn't pick up that I wasn't running KDE 4.1.

But it works great, if anyone else is interested.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

locutus wrote: Yep, that worked. And I like it better than Amarok 1.4
Glad to know it worked out :) I've just started using amaroK 1.4 again after some time and am impressed by how far it has evolved. I might give this a try myself :)
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Uh yuck, the user interface is awful. I'm sure it will improve over time but it's not for me yet... sigh

Looks like 1.4 for me at the moment :)
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

CaptainTux wrote:It's a early beta.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. My comment related to the interface as it stands at the moment.
Last edited by msuggs on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”