Update Manager, safe to install updates?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KING

Update Manager, safe to install updates?

Post by KING »

I probably have a pretty simple question, but I just want to be sure it's safe to install the updates presented to me.

Just installed a fresh Elyssa edition, updated around 100 updates. After I rebooted the system another 107 updates were available, 6 of them are level 2 and the rest level 3. When I want to install these updates the Update Manager says some updates aren't authenticated and it might not be safe to install them.

So is it safe to install them or not? I assume these updates come from a Mint repository, which in my eyes whould make it safe.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Update Manager, safe to install updates?

Post by exploder »

You should be ok updating. You are correct about the Mint updates, they are unsigned.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Level 1 and level 2 updates should always be safe. I have encountered problems with a couple of level 3 updates, most recently xulrunner updates.

I did however find that the same updates worked fine if, when prompted by a pop-up window, to keep settings previously selected by myself or an installation "wizard". Note: this is not the exact wording used in the update "pop-up", but you'll see what I mean when it pops up.

I'm currently very selective about level 3 updates! Basically if I don't think I need it to "fix" a problem I just "untick" it.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

The other option is to change the preferences in mintupdate to only show the level 1 & 2 updates.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Fornhamfred wrote:The other option is to change the preferences in mintupdate to only show the level 1 & 2 updates.
Why didn't I say that? :D

I guess I like to beat around the bush!

At the risk of being bold, why doesn't Mint's updater just default to level 1 & 2 instead of including level 3? It's soooooooooo stable that way!

Return to “Beginner Questions”