Networking 101

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Networking 101

Post by locutus »

I'm trying to network my wireless laptop (M5-Gnome) with my wired desktop (currently M5-KDE, but there are three other Mint's I could use, if KDE/Gnome conflict somehow). They *were* working fine for a while, then I tried to add shared directories and now nothing I do will make them work again. Samba is installed (as well as smb4k,xsmbrowser, gsambad, & assorted other tools I thought might help) and kdenetwork on the desktop. I couldn't find anything in the wiki; are there easy, step-by-step instructions anywhere?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Networking 101

Post by Husse »

Try this first
Search in the forum, Advanced search, for samba and the author AvanceIT
He has given some really nice solutions to this kind of problem and I think the solution is there already
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Networking 101

Post by locutus »

OK, I understand the differences between samba & smb4k, both are installed and working on my desktop (KDE). On my laptop (Gnome) every time I start smb4k an error message appears, saying "ERROR: Communication problem with smb4k, it probably crashed". I've tried reinstalling, same result.

Also, on my desktop when starting smb4k it scans and finds nothing. If I open Settings -> Configure smb4k -> Custom, under Item it lists "//DOUG-MINT5-KDE-B/DOUG_VIDEOS" I've tried to shorten it in other places to "doug-desktop". In smb4k -> Samba -> General settings it shows that correctly. Is that a conflict? I don't see a way to edit or add a new Item in Custom, just to Remove.

If smb4k is crashing, should I re-install all of M5?

Return to “Beginner Questions”