How do I roll back to a normal audio driver?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cliff76

How do I roll back to a normal audio driver?

Post by cliff76 »

I banged my head trying to get Creative's X-Fi driver to work recompiled my kernel and used all of the tricks and hacks I could find. Now I've uninstalled everything (save for the kernel) and would like to try to get my integrated audio card going. I've activated integrated audio in my BIOS and now I'm stuck. Do I have to physically pull the X-FI out of my tower? Should I re-enable the kernel that shipped with Mint? Is there a driver download I should grab through synaptic? Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: How do I roll back to a normal audio driver?

Post by rivenought »

You may wish to consider physically removing the Creative hardware and returning to the original integrated sound - providing that it worked in Mint previously, that is. In relation to your post on saving your /home partition and reinstalling Mint, it sounds like you are considering doing this method. I am not sure if you will have any hidden folders in in your /home partition, but you may wish to check so the new install does not have configuration settings for the old install. That might cause issues. Sometimes you have go back to the beginning and start over. That is always a good option to fall back on. Good luck, and have fun!
cliff76

Post by cliff76 »

Thanx rivenought,

I successfully rolled back and got my integrated card working. I didn't have to reinstall from scratch either. I only needed to boot from the origianl kernel and reinstall ALSA stuff. Thanx a bunch!
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I was glad to see you got everything straightened out. Now you can really enjoy all that Mint has to offer. Have fun!

Return to “Hardware Support”