Boot errors after installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cai

Boot errors after installation

Post by Cai »

I've been running Mint with no problems for about 4 months (first Daryna, then upgraded to Elyssa).

HP Desktop, 250 GB memory, 1 GB RAM, don't know the rest of the specs from memory

My power supply cord got knocked out of the wall, forcing a hard reboot. When it came back, I was able to boot to the first LinuxMint screen (with the green loading bar), but no further.

I get "Grub Error 13", which says something about my executable files being in the wrong format.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need to completely re-install Mint? (I'm hoping there's a fix, as I'm an idiot who lost my boot disk, and so without good internet access I'll probably have to have a disk shipped to me to re-install).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Boot errors after installation

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

Could you please post your menu.lst file and also the answer from the following by opening a terminal and entering:

sudo fdisk -l
Cai

Post by Cai »

I can't even get as far as the ability to open a terminal. I can get a command line, but it's a GRUB command line, not the usual terminal one.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Since you have no live CD the only thing I could suggest is booting into recovery mode as described here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

It may do nothing but drop you to a command line but it may also tell you somewhat what needs to be done.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Sorry I was assuming that you had a live cd and could access your files by booting the CD.

If you have not got one then it would probably help if you could download and burn another CD.

Return to “Installation & Boot”