3G support - Installing Network Manager 0.7 SVN

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
madwoollything

3G support - Installing Network Manager 0.7 SVN

Post by madwoollything »

I've successfully got a T-Mobile web'n'walk usb modem working on an old desktop with Xubuntu by following this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 3g+dongles. The method I followed uses the latest version of Network Manager 0.7 from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797059

It was very straight forward in Xubuntu. Having installed the updated Network Manager, all I did was plug in the usb modem and all worked beautifully. :D

I've tried to install Network Manager 0.7 within Elyssa on two different boxes by following the same steps, but have been unable to get it to run the new 0.7 version. Do you know what extra needs to be done to install and run Network Manager 0.7?

I'd like to be able to use my 3G modem with Elyssa as this is the LTS release. Also I noticed that Xubuntu is using a slightly later version of the kernel, so I'm not sure if this makes a difference or will stop the 3G modem working?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: 3G support - Installing Network Manager 0.7 SVN

Post by Husse »

Which edition?
Main or the KDE or XFCE betas?
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Husse wrote:Which edition?
Main or the KDE or XFCE betas?
I've been following the threads from Ubuntu so I thought this was a gnome application??
Husse

Post by Husse »

You refer to xubuntu
Do you try to do this in the Elyssa xfce edition - or the main?
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Husse wrote:You refer to xubuntu
Do you try to do this in the Elyssa xfce edition - or the main?
I'm using the Main version of Mint .... apologies for the confusion.
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

I'm now using both gnome and xfce versions of Mint (Elyssa) and would like to be able to use my T-mobile usb 3G modem with both version of Mint - rather than Windows XP.

Usually, if you can do something in Ubuntu, it can be transferred to Mint ..... BUT not in this case. By installing the latest version of Network Manager on my gnome and xfce versions of Ubuntu, the 3G modem works nicely.

This is a shame as I'd like to get this working in the LTS versions of Mint. Any ideas please??

Return to “Software & Applications”