New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Post by tommyr »

I just learned about Mint Saturday and downloaded it and I'm running it on a 1.83 Macbook and it works GREAT! I LOVE this distro! Even movie files play right off the bat! This will replace Ubuntu for me I think which sometimes has issues on this Macbook. I can't say enough about Mint, GREAT job and kudos to all involved!

Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Welcome tommyr, good to see another east coaster, from NJ here.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommyr »

Thanks. I've been messing around with Linux for about 2-3 years. Started with Suse 8 on a Dell D300 actually. Ran pretty darn well. I ditched Windows about 7 years ago, I couldn't take it any more. Now I use Macs and Linux.

Tom
npap
Level 6
Level 6

New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Post by npap »

Welcome tommyr ,

Haven't you heard? If Mint gets to be too popular somebody may wipe it off our PC :lol:
Have you heard about the killall command? :)
Greetings to NJ.
Npap
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Post by tommyr »

npap wrote:Welcome tommyr ,

Haven't you heard? If Mint gets to be too popular somebody may wipe it off our PC :lol:
Have you heard about the killall command? :)
Greetings to NJ.
Npap

Yeah I know killall, never used it. I'm no Linux expert by any means....yet.
Usually I just kill a specific PID that pisses me off!

Tom
npap
Level 6
Level 6

WELCOME POLAND

Post by npap »

Welcome aboard faj3r ,
Nice to have somebody from Poland here. :)
Greetings, Npap
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Welcome aboard Olu,
Nice to have you in the Mint addict group. :)
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Hey everyone!
Hehe my story with Linux is a long one =P
I decided about a year ago that I would try out Linux, but I had no idea there were so many distributions of it.... I read on a blog that this guy installed something called Ubuntu on his computer, so I decided to start there. When I burned and booted the live cd (this was about a month before Edgy came out), the screen resolution was atrocious.. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I gave up.
A long time later, in November (actually on Black Friday.. it was horrible!), I got a new laptop with Windows XP <--see the face of frustration? =P But I was still excited!
Unfortunately, my hatred for Windows went through the roof... I wasn't about to pay for antivirus software, and I've never liked the way it looked. I hate ugly computers! :twisted:
I tried out Ubutntu one more time; this time everything worked (so it seemed), and I installed it.
I was still stupid though, and thought programs were installed exactly like they were in windows.. go out and search for a program and install the .exe file... So I downloaded the deb file for a program called LMMS. That's when I learned about dependencies. I went back and forth, downloading each complaint until I installed a fontconfig file -- Ubuntu didn't like that very much. It gave me an error that said my dependencies were broken. I couldn't install a single thing (I still hadn't learned about apt-get), so I wiped Ububtu from my system.
There was a whole ordeal with the grub boot manager and me having to boot windows from a morphix live cd, but i won't go into all that =P
After all the craziness, I got on my grandmothers uber-fast computer and went distro crazy !! I downloaded/burned about 12 live cds, one of which I found by accident.. Linux Mint "Bea". I read through the philosophy and agreed with it, and I was very happy that it was upgraded more often than Ubuntu. And to my luck, they came out with Bea just two weeks before! I eagerly installed it and was thrilled that it could install LMMS and all dependencies without anything breaking :D So I stuck with it!
I'm so thrilled with the direction this distro is going! The community here is so nice :) Keep up the good work!! :D
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommyr »

facade47 wrote:Hey everyone!
I'm so thrilled with the direction this distro is going! The community here is so nice :) Keep up the good work!! :D

Yeah baby! Mint ROCKS!!! Welcome!!!!

Tom

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”