AAARGH

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

A few things.
The behaviour you describe for Amarok seems to be the default behaviour, so it has nothing to do with your problem.
What do you mean with the nvidia script? Envy? If not type sudo envy in a terminal and follow the instructions. It will uninstall present drivers (hopefully) and install the latest nVida drivers (without 3d)
If that doesn't help access /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change to vesa.
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf scroll down to the only section called just "Device" You should see Driver "nvidia" change nvidia to vesa and you load a really "hopeless" video driver but one that mostly works.
If you have no problems (except bad video) then you have isolated the problem to the nVidia drivers.
As for pppoe see if your modem can handle the pppoe connection all by itself, that's generally the best solution and the way I have it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think the driver envy installs is nvidia not nv, I'm on Win XP right now - dual boot - I like the simple game Spider in XP :) But - follow the advice in my signature :)
As for pppoe I beleive this can depend on the order of things. If the modem is turned on first and the computer then may bring a different result than the other way round.
I've never met a pppoe incapable modem in the real world although I'm well aware of them. Alls orts of oddities can happen if your connection is not set up right. :(
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

and Windows XP boot works perfectly.
:lol: Oxymoron
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

envy is a script that automates installation of nvidia/ati graphic drivers...

what you need to do it:

hit ctrl-alt-f1 - this will take you out of your x session into a terminal

there login and type

Code: Select all

envy
which will start envy.. start by uninstalling your current driver (choice 2) and after the process is finished select 1 to install the latest nvidia driver... for all other option select the default (hit enter) and you'll be back in x with the latest drivers...

simple as that
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

yes it is... one of the wonders of Linux Mint :D
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

good luck :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

try starting the 3d screensaver manually ... to see if it freezes as soon as you start it or after a certain time... maybe the card is overheating? :?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

you never know... could be a driver problem for your specific card/manufacturer under linux causing it to not cool properly... you should also open nvidia x server settings/thermal monitor... and we'll know for sure :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

crappy... thought nvidia was much better supported than ati...

what card do you use?

Return to “Other topics”