Default keyboard shortcuts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rothgar

Default keyboard shortcuts

Post by rothgar »

I have been using linux mint for a little while now and even got a friend to switch from Windows for it. I am now on the verge of getting my wife to install linux mint but I have a couple of things that are confusing for me with keyboard shortcuts.

1. I want a keyboard shortcut to open the main menu. I know there has been talk about this in other places on the forum but I find it completely absurd that I cannot open the menu without using the mouse. This is one of the things I like so much about Vista. Just a "super" key press, type in my program/document and away I go. I simply cannot do that in Linux Mint without alt+f2 and launch the program (assuming I know the name/executable). I know alt+f1 brings up a menu too (not sure if that is default) but it isn't as simple to use as the regular mint menu. I am not asking for "super" to be the keypress, but allowing some sort of key combination to open the menu would be very nice.

2. How do I clear keyboard shortcuts? If I accidentally set a keyboard shortcut or want to clear a default one I am not sure how to do that. I tried esc but that just cancels my entry and sets it back to whatever it was.

3. Super+?? keys don't work for me for shortcuts. Every time I push the super key in the control panel -> keyboard shortcuts it just shows Super+L and won't let me set it as anything else. I am not sure if this has to do with the fact that maybe Super+L is the only key command not being used by compiz fusion but it seems annoying that after I set it to Super+L I cannot clear it (see point #2)

4. This is the final thing I am looking for, A list of what the default keyboard shortcuts are. I have a few that are hex values (impossible to find what button/key that is) and when I booted my wife's laptop from a live cd alt+space brought up a nice search application that I can't seem to find on my installation.

Any help in these points is greatly appreciated. I love what you guys have been able to do from ubuntu (mainly the UI improvements) and I plan on using linux mint for a while longer but these are just things that I have noticed that have been bugging me lately.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Default keyboard shortcuts

Post by Husse »

1) The problem here is that we are not using the gnome menu and the keyboard shortcuts is a "gnome thing"
You get the gnome menu with Alt+F1. Sadly you can only assign keys to predefined tasks, not assign a task to a key (the other way round) This should work but does not
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... enu#p91904
Right now my SuperL stopped doing anything...
I have tried to find an answer but honestly I don't think it's possible - at least that's what the developer of mintMenu states here
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =76&t=3158
I found something that may be possible to use, but I have to investigate a little bit more
2) It's clearly stated on the keyboard shortcut "dialogue box" - use backspace
3) SuperL and superR can't be combined with other keys (at least I have not found a way...)
4) Here's an extensive table of default shortcuts not only in gnome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_k ... _shortcuts
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

OpenSuSE 11 has slab assigned to the super key, only distro I can think of that has this right now.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
routine

Post by routine »

Husse wrote:3) SuperL and superR can't be combined with other keys (at least I have not found a way...)
Yes, they can. I don't remember exactly how, but after altering some settings (perhaps it was in gconf-editor) you can indeed use Super-L and Super-R with other keys. However! As soon as you do, you can no longer use it on it's own. In other words the Super-L and Super-R keys behave like CTRL or ALT or SHIFT and when pressed by themselves do nothing.

A Windows Compatibility Mode checkbox would be nice. A setting somewhere that does the following:

1. Opens menu with Super (either SuperL or SuperR).
2. Opens Run command with Super - R.
3. Show desktop with Super - D.
4. Open Nautilus with Super - E (or N, whichever you prefer).
5. Search with Super - F
6. Lock screen with Super - L.
etc...

Heck, I'd settle for a config file that I had to edit to get this feature. This setting does not have to be on by default, but it would go a long way in making Linux more productive.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

You have GNOME DO, I barely use the menu now a days anyway.
--Dean Martin
rothgar

Post by rothgar »

Thanks Husse for the tips. I bookmarked/delicioused that wikipedia article so I can keep it around for future reference.
And I will have to RTFM/Screen next time before I give up all hope.
routine wrote: A Windows Compatibility Mode checkbox would be nice. A setting somewhere that does the following:

Heck, I'd settle for a config file that I had to edit to get this feature. This setting does not have to be on by default, but it would go a long way in making Linux more productive.
This sounds wonderful! I know Windows is not the best way to do things but for me, at this time, it is the most productive.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

TBH, I prefer GNOME DO, activate it by using super+space. It even keep a track of the applications/etc that you open the most, so I only press super+space then F and then enter and Firefox is open. It is so intuitive and brilliant to use, should be advertised more..
--Dean Martin
azulmarino

Post by azulmarino »

MagnusB wrote:TBH, I prefer GNOME DO, activate it by using super+space. It even keep a track of the applications/etc that you open the most, so I only press super+space then F and then enter and Firefox is open. It is so intuitive and brilliant to use, should be advertised more..
Yes! You are right, GenomeDo is a wonderful alternative, even more when Gnome shortcuts are disabled by Compiz and CompizConfig Manager key bindings setup is buggy. Thanks for the tip on the shortcut for GnomeDo :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”