Looking for RealPlayer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Looking for RealPlayer

Post by antiquexray »

This is the deal. I know RealPlayer is going away next release, but when I navigate to a website with audio that I want to open I get the option of going with the default, in this case since I downloaded VLC, or other. I want other; RealPlayer, but can't find it. How can I do this? thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Hi

RealPlayer 10 is part of the default install for Barbara/LinuxMint - so I'm not 100% sure what you mean. For example, if you goto http://www.bbc.co.uk/news and then go down to Video audo news, you should be able to watch any of the items in the embedded RealPlayer. If you have previously chosen a default palyer, then it may be a good idea to rename your /home/yourname/.mozilla folder - this will then receate your local settings next time you start Mozilla and allow you to re-choose.

Alternatively, installing VLC may have kyboshed your system in which case re-installing RealPlayer may help. I've found that many media formats can be played via Totem Movieplayer - it's the only way I can get Classic FM (Kaffeine does the same trick).

Perhaps you could let us know which sites you are having problems with as it may be possible to work out what is going on. If in doubt, try rebooting with the CD -

If you just need to tell a site what to use, but cannot find RealPlayer on your system, the command is just 'realplay'

in light

bin
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

bin wrote: If you just need to tell a site what to use, but cannot find RealPlayer on your system, the command is just 'realplay'

bin
Thanks for the reply. In terminal I typed realplay and it launched. What I am asking is if I want to play something with realplayer, how do I do that. In other words, I want to "open with" RealPlayer, but don't know were to find it, It's like looking for the .exe file in windows.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There's a great command in Linux.. called "which".

Try to type :

Code: Select all

which realplay
And it will tell where the first PATH's occurence of realplay is (in other words.. where your executable actually is on the filesystem).

FIY, Realplayer is installed in /opt/realplay in Barbara.
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

You can also install it from Automatix 2.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

What I am asking is if I want to play something with realplayer, how do I do that. In other words, I want to "open with" RealPlayer, but don't know were to find it, It's like looking for the .exe file in windows.
Right click on the file in nautilus (or desktop) and click properties

Click the Open with tab

select the application

if it isn't on the list click add and add it from the list... if it isn't on that list either than click on the custom command and type realplay

Return to “Sound”