WHY XFCE is truncated?

Forums for the Xfce Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

WHY XFCE is truncated?

Postby zack24 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:26 am

Some dialogs are not existed, some settings are gone.

How turn everything back?

And why break something you are not created?

Xfce remained only one of very few usable desktops, but some one must apply his knowledge and make it less "complicated" like Gnome...

Just terrible.
zack24
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: WHY XFCE is truncated?

Postby karlchen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Hello, zack24.

You should let us know which Linux Mint edition precisely you are complaining about.
Some dialogs are not existed
You might like to give some examples so that we know what you are missing.
some settings are gone.
Dito. You might like to give some examples so that we know what you are missing.
How turn everything back?
Hm. Without knowing any details how could we offer any advice?
And why break something you are not created?
Telling from my Linux Mint 13 32-bit xfce 4.10 I cannot confirm that the makers of xfce 4.10 or the makers of Linux Mint 13 broke anything either in Mint or in xfce.
Xfce remained only one of very few usable desktops, but some one must apply his knowledge and make it less "complicated" like Gnome...
This is a very subjective judgement. And which Gnome are you talking about? Gnome2? Gnome2 is dead. Gnome3? Gnome3 and xfce have got little in common. And from my point of view this is a good difference, because I refuse to adapt to Gnome3.(Purely subjective decision.)
This is one of the main reasons why I switched to Mint Cinnamon and Mint xfce 1.5 years ago. Yet, my subjective impression is that indeed the menu structure of xfce is less well organized than the menu structure of Cinnamon. And Cinnamon is still improving rapidly.

Kind regards,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Re: WHY XFCE is truncated?

Postby zack24 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:47 am

1. If nothing said you might assume the last version of Mint with Xfce desktop, as long as we talk about it in that forum.
2. Examples - easy - No shortcuts for terminal. No Menubar in terminal by default - I was frankly thinking what kind of terminal it is..
No font settings in Xfce settings. etc etc etc. It's too difficult to oversee it all once you have seen ORIGINAL Xfce.
3. Advice? Hm. Nope. I was asking why Mint developers make their users to idiots? What the objective reason to cut functionality? Normally I am using Gentoo, but was needed to make up a new system fast. Stupidly I had assumed, that it will be much faster with Mint, than Gentoo... I was terribly wrong.
4. If you can't confirm that Mint developers have broken anything, you have never been using Xfce in original shape. Well, that's not my problem, right?
5. About a "subjective judgement". You haven't understood a single word I was writing. Of course original Xfce and Gnome, the one which is alive, otherwise why would we talk about it? are very different. But my words were about that Mint developers are doing everything possible to make it behave like Gnome.

Why do you keep me asking about obvious things? Why not make clear whether we talk about Linux and not OS/2, or may be Android? Did I mention it was a Laptop?

Cinnamon is terribly heavy and not something I would allow to run on a laptop. I am not using it as a heating system... with 30 min work on battery

Anyway I am upset, about my decision to save time by using one of "polished" distro, which might work out of the box. Instead
I spent more times to change the settings comparing with installing Gentoo. Was a good lesson.
zack24
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Xfce