Install Nvidia proprietary drivers in LinuxMint UPDATED 2014

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Install Nvidia proprietary drivers in LinuxMint UPDATED

Post by roblm »

grungy_me wrote:I also am speculating that the reason tty1-6 did not work was because the open source nouveau driver for Nvidia graphic cards doesn't properly support the 700 series yet except for very basic function. Hence why inxi -G showed this as part of the output:
drivers: FAILED: fbdev,vesa,nouveau
The output of running the “inxi -G” command can be confusing. You will often see the word FAILED when the nouveau driver is loaded, but that can't refer to the nouveau driver or the display would not look and function correctly. As the X Server is starting, there can be several video driver modules that are initially loaded, such as fbdev, vesa, and nouveau. Then all but one are unloaded. You can check this by looking at the “Xorg.0.log” file in “/var/log”.
Take a look at the picture below, which shows an installation using the nouveau driver, with the display working correctly. To my understanding, the FAILED refers to the two drivers that were unloaded and thus failed to be loaded, which were fbdev and vesa.
inxi-nouveau.png
grungy_me wrote:And that the included proprietary Nvidia drivers version provided as a part of the driver manager of LinuxMint 17 also does not support the 700 series, so no drivers are shown when I brought it up.
Since you have a newer graphics card, then there were no stable proprietary drivers available from the official repositories that had been tested and approved by the the Ubuntu developers, as far as I understand. They probably will be there when the next version of Mint is released. To try to get newer drivers, you could add the half-official repository, the Ubuntu X-Swat PPA, with these commands in the Terminal:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update

Or to get the very latest drivers, you would add the Ubuntu xorg-edgers PPA, using these commands:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Then you would check Driver Manager again for newer drivers. Keep in mind that the more recent an Nvidia driver is, the less thoroughly it will have been tested on Ubuntu.
Last edited by roblm on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grungy_me »

@roblm

Thank you for the additional explanations! I think in this case I'd rather install the latest stable driver downloaded right from Nvidia's web site. Thank you again for all of your help and I hope these posts also help other people with similar problems.
Tipsymahn260

Post by Tipsymahn260 »

Roblm,

I used your updated guide to update my GTX 650TI drivers from the 340.23 version to the newer 343.22 version, and I followed your steps for updating, but after I did a quick reboot, my computer came up with an error that it failed to start up the X-Server. Upon doing Inxi -G it showed that all drivers failed to load including the Nvidia 343.22 driver. I am at a loss to what to do, I tried uninstalling and restoring Nouveau by following your steps but even that failed to load and caused the X-Server to not start up.

Interestingly enough under the TTY1 when I ran 'Nvidia-setting -v' it returned that the latest 343.22 driver was indeed installed so why isnt the X-Server recognizing it?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Tipsymahn260,

I can confirm that there is a problem with the Nvidia-343.22 driver. I just downloaded and installed it on my testing partition. I
checked Nvidia's website and both of our video cards were listed as supported by that driver. At the start of the installation, there
was a message saying my video card was supported through the Nvidia 340.xx legacy Linux graphics driver and that the 343.22
driver will ignore my GPU. Did you see a similar message?

EDITED 9-28-14:
The information on nvidia.com and geforce.com has been updated and corrected. My video card is not supported by the 343 driver.
The GeForce 8, 9, 100, 200, and 300 series video cards are not supported. The 340 driver must be used. User tipsymahn260's
installation problem was probably from a conflict with another Nvidia driver that was still installed, which was done through the
distributions package manager, but he will need to do further testing. Read my post on 9-28-14. END OF EDITING.

I went ahead with the installation. After restarting MDM, the Cinnamon desktop had crashed and was running in Fallback Mode.
The “inxi -Gx” command listed the Nvidia driver but there was no direct rendering. Since inxi is not always reliable, I checked the
“Xorg.0.log” file and found out that the FBDEV driver was actually loaded. Checking in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers showed that
the Nvidia driver module had been installed.

Uninstalling the driver and recovering was a mess. The standard instructions had to be modified. I re-entered tty1 to to uninstall the
driver. After stopping MDM, I got a black screen with a flashing cursor, and nothing else worked. While holding down the
Alt+Print-Screen keys, I pressed the letters reisub to reboot. I entered Recovery Mode. Here you should select “root - drop to root
shell prompt”. When asked for the root password, just type your user password. Then change the file permissions to read and write
by typing:

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /

Change to the directory where the Nvidia driver is located:

cd /home/user-name
Uninstall the driver:

sh N-343.22.run --uninstall
Remove the “disable-nouveau.conf” file:

rm /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf
Update the initial ramdisk that is created during startup:

update-initramfs -u
Reinstall the nouveau driver:

apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau libdrm-nouveau2
However, those 2 packages would not download and install, so I typed:
reboot

You'll go back to the Recovery Mode menu. Don't click anything, just wait for the reboot.

The desktop was still in Fallback Mode. There was no Terminal in the menu so I opened the Synaptic Package Manager and
searched for “nouveau”. Then right click on the 2 packages “xserver-xorg-video-nouvea” and “libdrm-nouveau2” and select “Mark
for Reinstallation”.
There is no “Shut Down” selection in the menu, so quickly press and release the power button to bring up the menu and reboot,
or use the Alt+Print-Screen method mentioned above. The desktop was finally restored with the nouveau driver being used.

I'm going to check if the PPA xorg-edgers has that Nvidia driver and will test an installation through Driver Manager or Synaptic to
see if the same problem occurs.
Last edited by roblm on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tipsymahn260

Post by Tipsymahn260 »

At the start of the installation, there
was a message saying my video card was supported through the Nvidia 340.xx legacy Linux graphics driver and that the 343.22
driver will ignore my GPU. Did you see a similar message?
I do not recall unfortunately. I do recall it prompting me if I wish to uninstall the N-340 drivers to then install the N-343 drivers.

Iv been following what you have been doing. I uninstalled the Nvidia driver, no problem, got rid of the blacklist for Nouveau, and your right it tried to install when I did your apt-get command but couldnt.

However like I said before I did any of the previously stated, the Xserver will not load, my graphical front crashes and burns within 5 seconds AFTER I installed the N-343 drivers. with that said, my Xserver still will not load, it still crashes and burns within 5 seconds, I do not have a 'fallback' graphical front end to resort to. I cannot access synaptic package manager graphically and I cannot open it via the terminal. What are my options or alternatives to get those core files?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Tipsymahn260,

I just tested another installation and duplicated your steps. I first downloaded and installed the Nvidia-340.32 driver without any
problems, and then tried to update the driver to the 343.22 driver. I saw the same message about my video card not being supported.
I got the same results after the installation, which was Cinnamon being in Fallback Mode. I rebooted and entered Recovery Mode, and
this time was able to do all the uninstallation steps there. After rebooting , everything was back to the original setup. So you should
be able to do all the steps I listed in my last post by selecting Recovery Mode at the GRUB boot menu. If no menu shows, then hold
down the Shift key while restarting.

EDITED:
I just added the xorg-edgers PPA to my software sources and then checked in Driver Manager. The Nvidia-343.22 driver was not listed.
I then opened Synaptic, clicked the “Reload” button, searched for nvidia-343 and found it. After installing the driver through Synaptic
and rebooting, the desktop was again in Fallback Mode. Removing it in Synaptic restored the system. Either my GeForce 210 video
card is not supported and the information in the Driver Downloads section of Nvidia.com and GeForce.com is incorrect, or there is a
bug with the 343.22 driver. Under “Release Highlights”, it says: Removed support for G8x, G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, but I don't have a
GT card.

However, you have a newer video card and said there was no message about your video card not being supported. User papa33
reported in this topic on Sept. 20 that he was able to install the driver from the xorg-edgers PPA through Synaptic, but user indaba42
had problems with it:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=178615
Tipsymahn260

Post by Tipsymahn260 »

Roblm,

Yea im still getting nothing, im just going to reinstall mint some time today then try going from there straight to 343.23 and see what happens this time. No matter what I seem to do the Xserver will not start and will crash. Since I made two partitions, / and /Home, when I reinstall only the root will all my personal files on the /Home partition still be there and recognized normally even if I leap from KDE to Cinnamon or any other flavour? Also if it means anything I was running under Mint KDE. Is Cinnamon more stable about these things? I was originally going to take Cinnamon over KDE but because there is nothing I can do about the title bar constantly being shown in all windows I threw it out the window for KDE. Funny how I love everything about Cinnamon over KDE except that one thing which makes me want to burn it with fire :lol: .

Anyways something I do notice however is I think when I enter recovery mode then do a normal boot from that menu and all that text flys all over the screen, it says that 'Fallback' thingymabob twice, once that is works and again that it fails in glaring red text, what does that even mean anyways? I see the thread you posted about issues with 343.23 for some users, does seem odd and could be a screw up on Nvidia's side for all these problems. Either way I wanna avoid the PPA way because iv only had bad luck with it and rather stick with the manual installation Worst case is ill have to reinstall again and go back to 340.32 because there might be a serious problem with 343.22 Linux on Nvidia's end anyways. Windows side 343.22 works fine.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Tipsymahn260,

How did you install the 340.32 driver? Was it a manual installation from Nvidia's website or was it from the xorg-edgers PPA?
The uninstallation procedure is different depending on which method was used. I was assuming it was a manual installation.

If you reinstall Mint and don't format the /home partition, then the data on it should be remain, but I'm not totally sure if you change
from KDE to Cinnamon because I've never done it. If you need to copy any of that data, then you can use the distributions live DVD
to get access to that partition. I don't think the driver problem has anything to do with KDE being used. When you select “Resume
normal boot” in Recovery Mode, then your system will run with kernel mode setting disabled, which doesn't affect the Nvidia driver
but causes open source drivers like nouveau to run without hardware acceleration.
Tipsymahn260

Post by Tipsymahn260 »

Roblm,
How did you install the 340.32 driver? Was it a manual installation from Nvidia's website or was it from the xorg-edgers PPA?
The uninstallation procedure is different depending on which method was used. I was assuming it was a manual installation.
Yea I installed 340.32 manually using your method which worked completely fine. When I went ahead to update to 343.22 I just ran 343.22 using your update method which is just run it and it prompted me that it will uninstall 340.32 then install 343.22
If you reinstall Mint and don't format the /home partition, then the data on it should be remain, but I'm not totally sure if you change
from KDE to Cinnamon because I've never done it. If you need to copy any of that data, then you can use the distributions live DVD
to get access to that partition. I don't think the driver problem has anything to do with KDE being used. When you select “Resume
normal boot” in Recovery Mode, then your system will run with kernel mode setting disabled, which doesn't affect the Nvidia driver
but causes open source drivers like nouveau to run without hardware acceleration.
Okay, thats good to hear then. Ill stick with my KDE version and just do a reinstall of the root. When I get back later tonight ill go ahead and reinstall, unless you have any other aces up your sleeves before then. Ill report back after attempting to install 343.22 from the fresh install to let you know how that went for the GTX 6xx series but my money is on that it wont work.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Tipsymahn260,

As a last resort, you can enter Recovery Mode again. Then run these commands, one at a time:

apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-nouveau libdrm-nouveau2

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
After running the first command, be sure to read the information being posted on the screen, to be sure each of those packages
are installed.
Tipsymahn260

Post by Tipsymahn260 »

Roblm,

If I could hug you, I would. Your ace worked beautifully. I followed it step by step and it was all working fine except when dealing with libdrm-nouveau2. I did each file individually to make 100% sure it reinstalled everything and they all worked but that one. When I tried 'Apt-get Install' without the --reinstall it stated it was already installed and I just kinda said screw it. eitherway I continued onward and finish what you told me to do and upon doing resuming the MDM service my graphical front end came back to life fully and in working order.

Out of random curisoity I checked to see if Nvidia was still on and guess what, the 340.32 version was in place. But how? I didnt install it when doing your proceedures to recover and it should of uninstalled after installed 343.32. Eitherway im back where I am before I attempted to install 343.23 some im extremely happy for that atleast. Roblm you are indeed quite the life saver.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Tipsymahn260,

I had already told you to reinstall the libdrm-nouveau2 package in a previous post, so it was OK that it didn't install the second time.
This was to double check that it got installed.

After all the steps you did, the nouveau driver should be enabled now. Would you run this command and post the output:
inxi -Gx

Sometimes interpreting the output of inxi can be confusing, so let's look at a more reliable method, by looking at sections of the
“Xorg.0.log” file, with this command:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | egrep -i "nvidia|nouveau"
I'm looking at your history of Nvidia driver installations to try to figure out why there was the difficulty in removing the 343.22 driver. In
looking at your posts in your topic “Nvidia Driver and my 2nd Monitor”, it appears that you first tried a manual driver installation, from
this statement in your 9th post:
“I guess I could try to manually do it again but I have a feeling ill just nuke my computer in the process like I did last time”.

What instructions did you use and how did you remove it?

Then you installed the 340.32 driver from the xorg-edgers PPA from the instructions from the BinaryTides website. Then you
removed the driver in Driver Manager?

Then you installed the same driver downloaded from Nvidia's website using my installation instructions this time. Is all this correct?
Was this all done on the same KDE installation or did you have to do any reinstallations?
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grungy_me »

Hey folks,

While user roblm helped me big time to install the Nvidia proprietary graphic driver, which I'm so grateful for, I noticed that afterwards I had a screen tearing problem and there was no setting in the "Nvidia X Server Settings" program to correct this. If you are having this problem, or wondering if it is a problem. See my post in the following link to see how to test for it and how I corrected it:

{SOLVED}Screen tearing

But please keep this thread for Nvidia proprietary graphic driver install problems and help. Post to the above link for screen tearing issues. Thanks.
Tipsymahn260

Post by Tipsymahn260 »

Roblm,

Sorry about the delay, been busy lately.

ran the Inxi -Gx command and it said that Nvidia,Intel was running while Fbdev, Vesa, and Nouveau were unloaded.

I also got the info from the terminal cmd line you told me to input. I do not know how to fully read the output so ill just post the return code here.

[    21.856] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[    21.903] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  340.32  Tue Aug  5 20:32:43 PDT 2014
[    21.941] (==) Matched nvidia as autoconfigured driver 0
[    21.941] (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 1
[    21.941] (==) Matched nvidia as autoconfigured driver 3
[    21.941] (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 4
[    21.941] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[    21.941] (II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
[    22.108] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[    22.143] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
[    22.155] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
[    22.188] (II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    22.224] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  340.32  Tue Aug  5 20:13:04 PDT 2014
[    22.224] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
[    22.224] (II) NOUVEAU driver Date:   Thu Nov 7 14:56:48 2013 +1000
[    22.224] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[    22.307] (II) NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
[    22.307] (==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
[    22.307] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
[    22.307] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[    22.307] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[    22.308] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
[    22.815] (II) NVIDIA(0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    22.815] (II) NVIDIA(0):     Vision stereo.
[    22.826] (II) NVIDIA(0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    22.826] (II) NVIDIA(0):     stereo.
[    22.826] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Found DRM driver nvidia-drm (20130102)
[    22.827] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTX 650 Ti (GK106) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
[    22.827] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 2097152 kBytes
[    22.827] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 80.06.21.00.50
[    22.827] (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0): Valid display device(s) on GeForce GTX 650 Ti at PCI:1:0:0
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0) (boot, connected)
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-0
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0):     SAMSUNG (DFP-1) (connected)
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-2
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0): 480.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: Internal TMDS
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-0: 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0): SAMSUNG (DFP-1): Internal TMDS
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): SAMSUNG (DFP-1): 340.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-2: Internal TMDS
[    22.829] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[    22.829] (**) NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID for display
[    22.829] (**) NVIDIA(0):     device DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0) (Using EDID frequencies has
[    22.829] (**) NVIDIA(0):     been enabled on all display devices.)
[    22.831] (**) NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID for display
[    22.831] (**) NVIDIA(0):     device SAMSUNG (DFP-1) (Using EDID frequencies has been
[    22.831] (**) NVIDIA(0):     enabled on all display devices.)
[    22.831] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
[    22.831] (==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
[    22.831] (==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
[    22.831] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
[    22.832] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
[    22.832] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select,DFP-1:nvidia-auto-select"
[    22.832] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 2640 x 1024
[    22.862] (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (95, 96); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
[    22.862] (--) NVIDIA(0):     option
[    22.862] (II) UnloadModule: "nouveau"
[    22.862] (II) Unloading nouveau
[    22.863] (II) NVIDIA: Using 3072.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory
[    22.863] (II) NVIDIA:     access.
[    22.867] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select,DFP-1:nvidia-auto-select"
[    22.974] (==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps
[    22.974] (==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store enabled
[    22.974] (==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
[    22.974] (==) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
[    22.985] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[    22.985] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: nvidia
[    23.121] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 (/dev/input/event21)
[    23.122] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7 (/dev/input/event20)
[    23.122] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8 (/dev/input/event19)
[    27.957] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    27.957] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    27.967] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    27.967] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    28.156] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    28.156] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    28.167] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    28.167] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    29.773] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    29.773] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    29.783] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    29.783] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.186] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select @1280x1024 +1920+0 {ViewPortIn=1280x1024, ViewPortOut=1280x1024+0+0}, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select @1360x768 +1280+0 {ViewPortIn=1360x768, ViewPortOut=1360x768+0+0}"
[    30.229] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select @1280x1024 +1920+0 {ViewPortIn=1280x1024, ViewPortOut=1280x1024+0+0}, HDMI-0: 1920x1080 @1920x1080 +0+0 {ViewPortIn=1920x1080, ViewPortOut=1920x1080+0+0}"
[    30.427] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.427] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.437] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.437] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.460] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.460] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.471] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.471] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.494] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.494] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.504] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.504] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.527] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.527] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.537] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.537] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.561] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.561] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.571] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.571] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.594] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.594] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.604] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.604] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.627] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.627] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.638] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.638] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[    30.661] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    30.661] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    30.671] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[    30.671] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
[  7558.778] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (DELL 1704FPT (CRT-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[  7558.778] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[  7558.788] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (SAMSUNG (DFP-1)) does not support NVIDIA 3D Vision
[  7558.788] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     stereo.
The history of how all the installtions happened and even why I showed up here in the first place was this. I tried a direct manual installation with no guides, just me waltzing through on my own. I musta broke the Xserver when I tried to install N340 cause I couldnt get the my monitor to function and didnt know how to recover. I reinstalled mint KDE and started fresh on both my root and /home partitions. I then used BinaryTides method of using Xorg-edgers which is where I discovered that I needed all my monitors to be connected into the GFX card itself. Before I went on to your tutorial I rolled back the xorg-edgers attempt. Then I used your method which was the "2nd time" installing manually but this time with your guidence which caused it to work sucessfully.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Tipsymahn260,

From looking at your “Xorg.0.log” file, the Nvidia-340.32 driver is loaded. The nouveau driver is also being loaded initially because
the file “disable-nouveau.conf” was removed, so nouveau is not blacklisted, but later it is unloaded. This line in the log file shows the
location of the nvidia driver module:

(II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
That location is not used for nvidia drivers manually installed. You should see this line instead:

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
So that driver has to be from the xorg-edgers PPA. Did you try removing it in Driver Manager by selecting
"xserver-xorg-video-nouveau”?

Evidently the driver was not removed. I just tested this on my extra partition using my backup image of a fresh Mint 17 installation.
I added the xorg-edgers PPA and installed the 340.32 driver in Driver Manager. Then I tried removing it but it would not revert to
the nouveau driver the first time. It worked the second time. It may appear like the uninstallation is initially working but then the
process will stop. I then reinstalled the driver and tried to remove it again and it would not uninstall after one attempt.

So I left it installed and then tried installing the downloaded Nvidia-340 driver. Surprisingly it installed successfully without any error
messages about another driver already being installed, which had not been done by the Nvidia installer. I then uninstalled the
downloaded driver and the first 340 driver from xorg-edgers was then being loaded, just like you experienced. So it appears that
you tried installing the 343 driver while two other 340 drivers were already installed, one from the xorg-edgers PPA and the other
downloaded. The downloaded driver was removed but the other one probably caused a conflict in the installation.

When you open Driver Manager, is the 340.32 driver marked as installed? If it is, then you can either leave it alone if everything is
working, or you can try to remove it by selecting the nouveau driver and hope it works. This may have to be repeated. If it fails in
Driver Manager, then you can try using Synaptic.

Then you can try another manual installation of the downloaded 343 driver, but it probably would be better to do a new installation
because some installed files and configurations may have gotten messed up from the previous 3 installations.

I checked with the Driver Downloads section of nvidia.com and geforce.com again today and the support information for the 343.22
driver had been updated and corrected. My GeForce 210 card is not supported but I plan on building a newer system soon, but your
card is still supported. Support was dropped for the GeForce 8, 9, 100, 200 and 300 series cards.
-Michel-

Post by -Michel- »

Hi all,

First of all thank you for the nice tutorial posted in the first post. I am new to linux and starting to learn things, however i am not able to get these NVIDIA drivers to work (no matter what i do). I followed all the steps, tried different guides but i keep getting stuck at the DKMS screen (see screenshots). Now i tried Elemantary OS and i succeeded to install the drivers manually, the guide whas not that different too (see: http://www.tommyappco.com/additions.php?req=21)

How can i manually install the driver on my clevo laptop (Geforce GTX 485m)

PS: Tested alot today and reinstalled alot too, adding a ppa for the nvidia card does work (installed different drivers 343 - 340) but the latest driver is also not listed.

http://i.imgur.com/eNedel8.jpg

This is a screenshot from my Elemantory OS where i passed the installation, the only problem with Elemantory OS is i can't run games on it (Wasteland 2 does not run while it does on Mint 17)

http://i.imgur.com/41ZhWr9.jpg
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Michel,

You followed user kk5000's installation instructions in the first post? Did you try my Updated instructions on page 2?:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p847465

Type this command in the Terminal and post the output:
inxi -Fx

I noticed that the driver recommendations have changed at nvidia.com and geforce.com since the last time I visited those websites
on 9-28-14. When a driver search is done, the 343.22 driver is the latest recommended driver for only the GeForce 900 series cards
now. Last week it was recommended for the GeForce 400 through 900 series. The 340.46 driver is now recommended. At geforce.com
the 343.13 Beta driver is now listed as the latest available.
-Michel-

Post by -Michel- »

roblm wrote:Michel,

You followed user kk5000's installation instructions in the first post? Did you try my Updated instructions on page 2?:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p847465

Type this command in the Terminal and post the output:
inxi -Fx

I noticed that the driver recommendations have changed at nvidia.com and geforce.com since the last time I visited those websites
on 9-28-14. When a driver search is done, the 343.22 driver is the latest recommended driver for only the GeForce 900 series cards
now. Last week it was recommended for the GeForce 400 through 900 series. The 340.46 driver is now recommended. At geforce.com
the 343.13 Beta driver is now listed as the latest available.
Hi roblm,

Here is the inxi -Fx info (http://i.imgur.com/g3swM1M.png)

No i didn't follow the second post for the newest update(s). However a few days ago i managed to install the 343 manually (don't know how and what instructions i followed back then) and it disabled the all available drivers in this screen http://i.imgur.com/Z0vxe7O.png

I installed the 343 driver with a ppa setup (the 343 driver does not freeze my system)

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-343 nvidia-settings
(http://i.imgur.com/u8W4Tj1.png)

I am new with linux and tried stuff out the last couple days (did alot of fresh installs). I know it can manually be done, i did it a few days ago but lost the instructions i followed (maybe it was the one you pointed to me).

Question: Can i still use that instruction on the second page ? because i used a ppa to get my driver installed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

-Michel- wrote:However a few days ago i managed to install the 343 manually (don't know how and what instructions i followed back then) and it disabled the all available drivers in this screen http://i.imgur.com/Z0vxe7O.png

I installed the 343 driver with a ppa setup (the 343 driver does not freeze my system).
You first stated that the Nvidia-343 driver was installed manually, which you downloaded from Nvidia's website? Was this then removed?
Then you installed the same driver after adding the xorg-edgers PPA.

If everything is working, then you can just leave the 343.22 driver from xorg-edgers installed. If you want to manually install a downloaded
Nvidia driver, then it's safer to remove the 343.22 driver in Driver Manager first and revert back to the nouveau driver by selecting:
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

And then follow my installation instructions.
-Michel-

Post by -Michel- »

roblm wrote:
-Michel- wrote:However a few days ago i managed to install the 343 manually (don't know how and what instructions i followed back then) and it disabled the all available drivers in this screen http://i.imgur.com/Z0vxe7O.png

I installed the 343 driver with a ppa setup (the 343 driver does not freeze my system).
You first stated that the Nvidia-343 driver was installed manually, which you downloaded from Nvidia's website? Was this then removed?
Then you installed the same driver after adding the xorg-edgers PPA.

If everything is working, then you can just leave the 343.22 driver from xorg-edgers installed. If you want to manually install a downloaded
Nvidia driver, then it's safer to remove the 343.22 driver in Driver Manager first and revert back to the nouveau driver by selecting:
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

And then follow my installation instructions.
I did 6 clean installs this week (if not more), First attempt i did manually install the driver from the website and followed some instructions form here or a guide on google (i really don't know anymore). The other clean installs had to do with the video card drivers i tried to install and to remove. I also tried to install the driver using ppa first, after that delete the installed ppa driver and manually install the driver from the website. I tried this because the ppa does pass the DKMS screen but the results where bad (orange text and no boot anymore, even when the nvidia driver from the website was fully installed (tried it twice))

The driver can still be downloaded BUT you need to click on the "BETA Drivers and archive" section. The new "stable" driver is 340.46 (the 343.xx are beta versions)
http://i.imgur.com/uYqyuR9.png

That one i want to try to install manually 8), so how can i delete the ppa driver ? As you can see in my screenshots, 343 was not listed in that screen. I used the sudo command to install the beta driver. When you look at my screenshot you see the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is already selected.
http://i.imgur.com/Z0vxe7O.png

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”