Linux Mint 21.1 “Vera” MATE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 21.1 “Vera” MATE released!

Post by clem »

Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 21.1 “Vera” MATE released!

Post by Tosh »

So where are the update instructions. Read them for Cinnamon but not found them for Mate.

To be honest they seem to be a bit of a faff. Before installing Mint 21 in August I ran Ubuntu 22.04 and that updated to 22.04.1 with no user intervention required.
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

Tosh wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:58 am So where are the update instructions. Read them for Cinnamon but not found them for Mate.

To be honest they seem to be a bit of a faff. Before installing Mint 21 in August I ran Ubuntu 22.04 and that updated to 22.04.1 with no user intervention required.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4461
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

Maxwell-J wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:04 am
Tosh wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:58 am So where are the update instructions. Read them for Cinnamon but not found them for Mate.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4461
Read that and its for Cinnamon, the reference for Cinnamon Spices makes that obvious.

I was wanting one for Mate.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Tosh wrote: ... the reference for Cinnamon Spices ...
Where it says, "If you installed Cinnamon spices ...", to which you have not, so you can skip that step.
Tosh wrote:I was wanting one for Mate.
This is for MATE, and Cinnamon, and Xfce as well.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Tosh wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:58 am So where are the update instructions.
In the announcement for How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.1.

Upgrade instructions are not included in the Release announcements so you should not expect to find them in this topic. Upgrading is always a separate announcement.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

When I installed Mint I am sure I read that the updates to point versions were carried out with little user intervention but now it seems like its a pretty major job including risk since it advises doing a timeshift, is this new to version 21? I accepted that version updates (form 21 to 22) would involve risk but this now seems a bit bizarre.

As I said above Ubuntu Mate updated from 22.04 to 22.04.1 with no intervention from me, shame it was such an unpleasant environment compared to Mint Mate.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Tosh wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:35 am When I installed Mint I am sure I read that the updates to point versions were carried out with little user intervention but now it seems like its a pretty major job including risk since it advises doing a timeshift, is this new to version 21?
No. This is how it's always been. The user intervention is indeed minor, but enough to make it a user's choice... and the Timeshift snapshot makes it possible to go back, is all. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Possibly because you're not used to the molehill. Understandable, but it's still just a molehill.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”