Introducing prospective newbies....

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Introducing prospective newbies....

Post by Petermint »

aged about 80
My oldest student was 96. You might have to keep that laptop running another 16 years or more. :D
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Introducing prospective newbies....

Post by Tosh »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:52 pm
Laptop is an ageing Win 10
What make and model?
Does it have a disk or an SSD (solid state disk)?
If the former, spend ~$30 (250GB SSD) and fit an SSD. Use a SATA to USB cable to copy the files and folders across and the old disk goes on the shelf as backup.
Installation about 8 minutes, updates, less than 5 minutes. Then 1/4 hour fiddling with it to make it more usable (personal preferences) and install a few handy apps.
Not a clue about the laptop other than its Win 10.

Have swapped from HD to SSD on 2 laptops now and it made a more noticeable improvement than adding extra RAM. As you say I used a SATA to USB cable to clone the Win 10 disc (took a bit longer than 8 minutes though - probably nearer an hour) and since there is sod all you can do with old HD's now they are on the shelf (just in case needed).

But if Win 10 is EOL already backup is pointless, better to change to a supported Linux.

On the 2 laptops I have done swapping the disk was easy, probably find the neighbours is not.

Bought a 480 gb SSD 2 weeks ago from Amazon for £27 delivered, daft not to. Using it on the RasPi 400 to replace an identical brand 120 gb SSD (not big enough, thought it would be) and strange as it may seem the Pi seems quicker and more responsive, both connected using the same SATA to USB cable. Go figure.

Return to “Chat about Linux”