[UBUNTU] Cinnamon Menu auto-refresh application shortcuts ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wingarmac
Level 1
Level 1

[UBUNTU] Cinnamon Menu auto-refresh application shortcuts ?

Post by wingarmac »

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish (x86-64) with Cinnamon 5.2.7.
I've seen that applications installed on the system are present in the menu.
New installed applications are also automatically added to it.

My problem is that uninstalled applications aren't automatically removed from the Cinnamon menu.

I use a separate /home partition-drive and only reinstall the system so I always get my files back after a reinstall.
The point is I can't rapidly check in the menu what I still need to install since all my applications are still present in the menu, even if the application is not reinstalled yet. This is very inconvenient.

It seems it does auto-add new installed apps, but doesn't auto-refresh the shortcuts if the apps aren't available anymore.
How could I make it do so ?

Since the reset option (called "Restore System Configuration" in Cinnamon Menu Editor), doesn't make the Cinnamon menu entries match with my installed applications, I also wonder what it exactly does to the menu.
Does it reset it to its installation defaults or does it match with the applications that were already present on the system at the moment of installation isn't clear to me to. Can someone elaborate what it does exactly ?

The Cinnamon version is higher on Linux Mint Vanessa (5.6.7)
So the problem could be reated with unmet depencies I don't get with `apt install -f` since this last one doesn't exist on the Ubuntu official repos.
Is it possible to add Mint's PPA : https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/mint_main to my Ubuntu server install to upgrade it or do I need a clean install of the desktop environement?

The installed packages for Cinnamon seem all simillar except their versions.
Last edited by wingarmac on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
wingarmac
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [UBUNTU] Cinnamon Menu auto-refresh application shortcuts ?

Post by wingarmac »

I found rhe answer to the question my question:"Is it possible to add Mint's PPA on Ubuntu to update?" : NO
I had to make a clean install in order it could work.
So I reinstalled Ubuntu server, added the Mint PPA backports and installed Ubuntu.

I wonder what's the difference between :
- deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ vanessa main
and
- deb http://packages.linuxmint.com vanessa main upstream import backport romeo

I tried like suggested for Ubutnu 16.04 on the Mint forum with the backports (replaced Serena by Vanessa) and it works great.
Source: viewtopic.php?t=244221#:~:text=Re%3A%20 ... int%20repo.

I made a menu to install my needs after a clean Ubuntu server install because updating caused depency issues.

Its available for download on Github:

What it does:
---
- It resolves known issues with sound on Ubuntu and the Cinnamon network applet.
- It makes it easy to add the Mint backports for Cinnamon install on Ubuntu
- It let you select the proprietary driver to install for graphics

Since I only use Nvidia drivers on my computer, I just did add the version I personally need.

- It has an option to update the Ubuntu kernel to its last release
- It has a menu to install additional software from a It has a menu to install additional packages from the installation.txt file.
- This is togheter in a submenu with a command to export to installation.txt all what has been installed with the `apt install` command manually.
- And 3th party software options I like to use, that uses `dpkg -i` to be installed.

- - -
**Usage:**
---

`git clone https://github.com/wingarmac/Bash-installer-menu.git`

`cd Bash-installer-menu`

`chmod a+x Installer-menu`

`sudo ./Installer-menu`

- - -
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [UBUNTU] Cinnamon Menu auto-refresh application shortcuts ?

Post by xenopeek »

Topic locked. See the forum rules; no support questions here.

Return to “Chat about Linux”