How to install Wine on Mint 21.1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jquand
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install Wine on Mint 21.1

Post by jquand »

So what's with Heroic Launcher, Lutris, and Steam each having their own Wine/Proton versions and being able to install multiple versions?

I installed Wine through the very first entry when I search for "wine" through the GUI package manager. Then I uninstalled it through the same manager because I was able to use the Wine versions within each of the above programs, so I felt that I didn't need the package manager version anymore. Is that bad?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

jquand wrote:Is that bad?
Best is to have a system-wide installation of Wine as well.
See what Lutris's author says here: "If you plan on playing games for Windows, to ensure a smooth experience, install a recent version of Wine on your system. This will provide all necessary dependency as Lutris cannot ship with every component in its runtime."

On top of that, there have been certain games playable for me only with plain Winehq's Wine Staging for some reason.
jquand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jquand »

Oh thank you. So I should install something anyway. What about this Bottles thing? Is that system wide?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

linux-rox. welldone

I confirmed on both LM 20 and LM 21.1 on my 2nd/test PC that simple two meal deal command for installing wine

sudo apt install wine-installer -y && sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/wine/examples/wine.desktop /usr/share/applications

Results in the same end result as my older way of doing it via winehq.org instructions. cheers
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Cyril256
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyril256 »

I just migrated to Linux Mint.I installed WineHQ version 8.11 like that

1)

Code: Select all

sudo apt update 
2)

sudo apt install build-essential gcc-multilib gcc-mingw-w64 libasound2-dev libpulse-dev libdbus-1-dev libfontconfig-dev libfreetype-dev libgnutls28-dev libgl-dev libunwind-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxfixes-dev libxi-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxext-dev bison flex
3)

wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine/source/8.x/wine-8.11.tar.xz 
4)

cd /tmp/wine-8.11 
5)For 32-Bit Systems:

./configure 
6)For 64-Bit Systems:

./configure  --enable-win64
7)

make
make install
8)On 32-Bit Systems:

wine --version 
9)On 64-Bit Systems:

wine64 --version
I saw during the installation of Winehq that he had installed all the framework, DirectX, all version of windows system ... etc.(> 2GB).
The installation was very long.
I haven't used it yet, I look for a tutorial on it.
I also installed Playonlinux
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:42 pm It is really as simple as that

I apologize but through enough experience, i disagree.

Every...single..time I've tried doing simply sudo apt install wine-installer ( and this is with fresh installs of LM 18, 19, 20, and 21 ( as well as any fresh installs ..not upgrade of ##.x versions ) and launching winecfg it has never resulted in being able to launch any .exe file aka =- when right-clicking a file. You can select to Open it with " Wine Windows Program Loader". I've always had to follow the instructions at winehq.org per my specific Ubuntu/coherent distro version

Here are those exact instructions ( you can always create a new text file. and inside add to the very top line #!/bin/bash to make it a bash script, then make the file executable and now..you have a simple gui clickable launcher button that does all the installing for you ....Just remember *** the instructions can change on one or multiple lines out of the whole meal deal depending on the Linux Mint Version coherent to the Ubuntu main version per the website..;) ** )

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo wget -NP /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/jammy/winehq-jammy.sources
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable -yy
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging -yy

I never understood why sudo apt install wine-installer never worked for me though. It makes no sense as I know, Karlchen, you've helped a massive number of people and I don't recall any time your advice on something has been wrong.
I followed your commands to a T and Wine was installed perfectly. Thank you for providing accurate instructions!
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

JesseRBassett ...happy to read the winehq.org instructions worked for you

The command given to me by a more experienced forum user coherent to ..

sudo apt install wine-installer -y && sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/wine/examples/wine.desktop /usr/share/applications

Has yet to fail me also.

Regardless...if you now have wine working on your machine, please edit the [b]Subject[/b] area of your first post and add (( Solved )) so others know you no longer require help for this issue.

Cheers :)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Neigdoig »

My solution is simple:

I head to the WineHQ Website, and go to the download instructions for Ubuntu. There, I follow the instructions on how to do it properly for Ubuntu Jammy (which Vera is based upon). I personally use WineHQ Staging, as it works well for me and my setup.
AdamFirst
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AdamFirst »

karichen, thank you for the detailed instructions. They seem to have worked for me.
One question, after the wine-installer command and agreeing to the install, the results in the terminal lists additional suggested software. Do you have any input on installing these additions?
kimme
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kimme »

I followed this https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... nt-3753445 guide and it worked perfectly with the correction in the comments for those who struggles reading an forum post....
--
Host: desktopp Kernel: 5.15.0-56-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon Distro: Linux Mint 21 x86_64
roberrtt

Post by roberrtt »

hello there,
Open the Terminal
Press Ctrl + Alt + T to open a terminal window.

Update the package list:
Run the following command to make sure your system has the latest package information:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install wine
wine --version
That's it! Wine should now be installed on your Linux Mint 21.1 system, and you can use it to run Windows applications.
raisin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by raisin »

Thanks @karlchen for this guide. Much appreciated.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Logansfury's question and the subsequent discussion of installing EventGhost can now be found here Installing EventGhost using Wine on Mint 21.1.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
szymon1051
Level 2
Level 2

Post by szymon1051 »

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

szymon1051 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:50 pm Can't use this?
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
You are suggesting adding a PPA is "the easiest and safest way" to install it?

Usually, one recommends installing packages in the repositories prior to recommending using PPAs.
szymon1051
Level 2
Level 2

Post by szymon1051 »

It's not me who suggests it to the creator of winehq.
Ubuntu 20.04

(Focal Fossa)

Linux Mint 20.x
Ubuntu 22.04

(Jammy Jellyfish)

Linux Mint 21.x
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

szymon1051 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:34 pm It's not me who suggests it to the creator of winehq.
What they say (in the link you provided) is installing that PPA is how to get the latest version. They do not say it is the safest and easiest way to install Wine. In fact, they also say, "Should a newer version of Wine give problems, it is also possible to install an older version of your choice. "

Older versions are in the repos because the repos are about stability. They are not about getting the latest versions.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

szymon1051 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:50 pm Can't use this?
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
It's an option, sure. Works fine for some people, is a quicksand trap for others (especially newbies). Problem is, it's almost impossible to undo a failed partial Wine installation. Unless the user has a Timeshift snapshot, there's usually no alternative but reinstall.

For what? Very few apps need the latest version of Wine. And legacy Windows apps often do better with older Wine versions.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
Split off Leonmerritt1's post and turned it into separate thread: viewtopic.php?p=2403783#p2403783
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Iceman101's question can now be found here Any idea why im downloading V5 and not V6 wine on Mint 21 from the resp ?

Return to “Beginner Questions”