GUI Upgrade to Mint 22?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

GUI Upgrade to Mint 22?

Post by asciiman »

Hello-
I am just wondering will there be a way to upgrade from Mint 21 to Mint 22 through a GUI similar to the way Ubuntu does this?
I am familiar with the way Mint's Update Manager handles the in-version upgrades, but I don't think I remember Mint ever having a way to upgrade to a brand new version. But I seem to remember some chatter about doing this.

Thanks!

Allen
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: GUI Upgrade to Mint 22?

Post by Hoser Rob »

I suspect that there will be a way to do it. And I also suspect there will be users like me saying that doing major point release upgrades via a web upgrade isn't reliable enough and a data backup and clean reinstall is much better. This is true in Ubuntu, which is Mint's code base, as well.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Cyberbleuet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cyberbleuet »

Normally there is an upgrade option some time after the release of a new version.
Salutation!
HP - Ordinateur portable écran UHD 15.6, AMD Ryzen-3 7000 series, Radeon graphics, SSD 500G, 8G Ram, Linux Mint 21.2 cinnamon edge edition (kernel 6.6.1)

Infiniment libre
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

asciiman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:41 pm I don't think I remember Mint ever having a way to upgrade to a brand new version.
I do. It was from 20.3 to 21, it was new at the time, and it went fine for me; I imagine the same method will exist for 21 => 22.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

There is the Mint Upgrade Tool which is a GUI to do the major upgrades such as 20.3 -> 21. It's a bit weird because it has to be launched from the Terminal with sudo mintupgrade but it actually starts a GUI.

Here is an example of it: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4571
Even though this is talking about LMDE 5->6, it's the same tool for the normal Mint versions based on Ubuntu.

Update Manager handles the minor upgrades like 21.1 -> 21.2.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”