Using MintMenu in Linux Mint Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ozaz
Level 1
Level 1

Using MintMenu in Linux Mint Xfce

Post by ozaz »

I'm trying both LM MATE and LM Xfce. One aspect of LM MATE that I prefer over Xfce is the MintMenu (Advanced MATE menu) and I'm trying to establish if I can install and use it in LM Xfce instead of the default Whisker Menu. I've installed MintMenu from software manager but I don't know how to then enable/use it. I assumed that after installation I would just be able to right click on the panel, add new items, and MintMenu would be one of the items to add. However, I don't see it in the list.

Is it possible to use MintMenu with Xfce?
Is so, what do I need to do after installing it?

Thanks
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Using MintMenu in Linux Mint Xfce

Post by Hoser Rob »

Hopefully you don't have both desktops installed on the same box, that's just a bad idea pushed by Linux wannabes and leads to hard to diagnose problems. If you do and you like the Mare menu that much it'd be best IMO to just reinstall the Mate version.

Desktops are highly integrated and trying to mix and match like that is not reliable and you won't get the same level of integration either. I used to do that with file managers but quit years ago for the same reasons. If I dislike the default file manager from a DE that much I'll just reinstall another DE version instead.

I've used both Xfce and Mate spins of Mint. A decade ago Xfce was significantly lighter. That just isn't true any more, Xfce has become somewhat bloated and still just as clunky to use. It used to be a lot easier for me to recommend Xfce over Mate.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ozaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozaz »

Thanks. At the moment, I'm running as separate virtual machines. I understand there may be some issues with running MintMenu in a non-Mate desktop environment, but I'd like to experience those issues myself so would be grateful for guidance on how to enable it.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

MintMenu is an item on the MATE panel. I don't think you can get that pasted on Xfce panel unless you port it yourself. In other words, implement a Xfce version of MintMenu.
ozaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozaz »

Thanks. In this case, I think it would be useful if the software manager either didn't include it as a package available to those using Xfce, or alternatively included a note in the description stating that Mate panel is required. Don't know if the former is possible (i.e. software manager tailored by desktop environment), but presumably the later is.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

The MintMenu entry is subtitled "Advanced MATE menu". You can also see it asking for mate desktop and mate panel dependencies if you try to install it on a non-MATE DE.
ozaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozaz »

I don't know if its unusual between Linux desktop environments, but it's not unusual to be able to install application launchers / start menus in one operating system that mimic the look and feel of a default application launcher in another operating system. So for me, simply subtitling it Advanced Mate Menu didn't make me think it would only be usable in Mate desktop environment. On the "additional software" message that comes up when you click install: you are made aware that those dependencies are being installed but there is no message that pops up saying you will have to make some additional adjustments in order for the menu to become available. So unless you know what you're looking for there is little to make you think it won't just be available immediately after installation. I certainly feel that by adding a couple of sentences to the description the entry within software manager could be made more helpful for those who are inexperienced with the nuances of desktop environments.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

The problem is probably due to the description text has almost never updated. The last major edit of that paragraph is modifying the "GNOME" word to "MATE". MATE was forked from GNOME 2, in case you are not aware.
Commit: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu/c ... 3a42e7126c
Current Ver: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu/b ... an/control

Back when GNOME 2 days, the DE environment was a lot less fragmented, and I guess Mint developers didn't think of there could be confusion in distant future. You may provide a suggestion edit in github for a better description text.

Return to “Xfce”