Getting Conky weather icons from Bleys to work [SOLVED]

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Getting Conky weather icons from Bleys to work [SOLVED]

Post by Logansfury »

Bleys wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:08 pm Screen Capture_select-area_20240210005815.jpg
Complete Symbola Font!
Bleys when you are awake and at keys, May I ask what are the U+ codes for the thick up, down, and revolving arrows specifically in the Sybola font?

EDIT: Never mind, I used LO Writer and loaded Symbola and put arrow in the search found all three :)
Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Well this thread is about ready for a fork in it, although it's been listed [SOLVED] for some time lol.

I have my transparentised BG, Capitolized title, Wind degrees converted and displayed as direction, and Font Awesome, Weather, and Symbola fonts are all installed and displaying, I was so impressed with the look of your all-symbola-font example I converted the compass version display to Symbola symbols rather than Font Awesome and increased size a bit for legibility. The sun icons are still from Weather font however, they look fine to me :)

One thing I'm curious of, where did you acquire that compass art? When you were travelling with laptop and could not access the art on your home comp I did a google search for "compass face transparent background" and I got NOTHING like the image you have. They were all very ornate art with big thick arrow images.

Anyhow. The Minimalis Weather widget is complete as last displayed. Here is my final tweaks of the Desktop Weather widget I'm using:

Bleys, you do produce some beautiful work for people to emulate!
Bleys
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bleys »

Logansfury wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:40 pm One thing I'm curious of, where did you acquire that compass art? When you were travelling with laptop and could not access the art on your home comp I did a google search for "compass face transparent background" and I got NOTHING like the image you have. They were all very ornate art with big thick arrow images.
I can of course also access my server when I'm on the move. But I found the Conpass picture on the Internet.
But, so that everyone can adapt it to their own ideas, I have recreated it in Gimp. The xcf file for Gimp is attached here as a zip.
Compass2.png
Compass2.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Attachments
Compass.xcf.zip
(10.64 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by Bleys on Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB RAM, 2TB M.2 Crucial P3, Asrock Deskmeet X300, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21
Bleys
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bleys »

small changes
Compass1.png
Compass1.png (9.18 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Or like this one. Also easy with Gimp:
compass1.png
compass1.png (92.83 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Attachments
Compass1.xcf.zip
(11.34 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB RAM, 2TB M.2 Crucial P3, Asrock Deskmeet X300, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

WOW that's impressive artwork out of gimp!

I took your blue compass into my GIMP and color swapped to white to match my color scheme. I also redid the directions and degrees in my preferred font at a slightly larger size:

Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

I came up with another question!

It occurred to me that I could keep the displayed formatting between the updated symbol and the updated time by placing them in one write_text line.

Not knowing .lua I just experimented. I tried wetter[8] in the line and ..wetter[8].. but I can only get display of the update symbol not the time. Can you please correct the format/syntax of my attempt if what I'm trying to do is allowed by .lua?

Code: Select all

write_text(cr, 340,176,"🔁", {color="0xff0000", font="Symbola", size=14, align="l"}, wetter[8], {font="Neon 80s", bold=false, size=10, align="l"})
Thanks!
Bleys
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bleys »

Logansfury wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:10 pm I came up with another question!

It occurred to me that I could keep the displayed formatting between the updated symbol and the updated time by placing them in one write_text line.

Not knowing .lua I just experimented. I tried wetter[8] in the line and ..wetter[8].. but I can only get display of the update symbol not the time. Can you please correct the format/syntax of my attempt if what I'm trying to do is allowed by .lua?

write_text(cr, 340,176,"🔁", {color="0xff0000", font="Symbola", size=14, align="l"}, wetter[8], {font="Neon 80s", bold=false, size=10, align="l"})
Thanks!
It is not possible to use different font attributes in one call!
Otherwise you can join strings with the concatenation symbol (..)

"🔁 "..wetter[8]
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Bleys wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:08 am
Logansfury wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:10 pm I came up with another question!

Thanks!
It is not possible to use different font attributes in one call!
Otherwise you can join strings with the concatenation symbol (..)

"🔁 "..wetter[8]
Understood. That's kind of a drag the language isn't set up for diff attributes.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Little details make a difference. Here is the white compass with a black stroke to bring out legibility at it's small display size:

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”