.conkyrc or .conf [SOLVED]

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

.conkyrc or .conf [SOLVED]

Post by dollyp »

I've seen examples of conkys with filetypes .conkyrc and .conf. Are these the same? And can I rename a .conf file as .conkyrc?

dollyp

Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6
Last edited by dollyp on Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Re: .conkyrc or .conf

Post by Logansfury »

Hello Dolly,

In my .conky directory, some of my sub-directories for widgets contain their data in conky.conf files, some in conkyrc. The conky program itself recognizes both as valid and will run either one that resides in the .conky sub-directores - as long as the code doesn't have an error of course :) I don't believe you need to worry about changing any of those file types.

Hope this helps.
Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

All my conky scipts have .conky as extension. It doesn't matter what extension they have, conky manager looks inside the scipt to determin if it is a conky script and conky just starts anything you give it at the prompt, as long if it's a conky script.
The only thing that maybe looks at the extensions are text editors that have color syntaxes enabled.
I made my own color syntax for midnight commander to activate when editing a .conky file.
Schermafdruk van 2024-01-30 15-16-32.jpg
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

the "filetype" here is text. It's just a text file.

It can be named in whatever way you like when you are specifying it under a conky command on terminal/script or using conky-manager2, like you can just name it bob if you want.

The only exception is if you are trying to run the file as the default config. In that case use name and location ~/.conkyrc and you could just run the command conky and it will use that default(if it's not there, it runs the default provided config located at /etc/conky/conky.conf).
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dollyp »

Very many thanks to those who replied. It's helped me understand more about conkys.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”