Move to the new house

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Move to the new house

Post by AZgl1800 »

majpooper wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:09 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:26 pm . . . I wrote down what I thought the colors were and got the color codes correct based on what I saw . . .
This sounds like my brother-in-laws story - he claims he could distinguish all the colors of the wires themselves looking at them but the actually color blind test he failed to many of where you see a number in a sea of color circles.
the sea of circle is the one that I fail,
but the FAA just asked me to Identify a Solid Color of RED or GREEN.

that was easy for me, and I got my clearance to get flight training....
owned Piper PA-22-160 N1797 for many years.

sadly, a subsequent owner/borrower put it in the ground :(
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:27 pm
majpooper wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:09 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:26 pm . . . I wrote down what I thought the colors were and got the color codes correct based on what I saw . . .
This sounds like my brother-in-laws story - he claims he could distinguish all the colors of the wires themselves looking at them but the actually color blind test he failed to many of where you see a number in a sea of color circles.
the sea of circle is the one that I fail,
but the FAA just asked me to Identify a Solid Color of RED or GREEN.

that was easy for me, and I got my clearance to get flight training....
owned Piper PA-22-160 N1797 for many years.

sadly, a subsequent owner/borrower put it in the ground :(
According to the circles of dots, I can't even see colors at all but I definitely do not see things in shades of gray only. RGB (Red, Blue, Green) are my weakest colors. Green traffic lights look white to me but grass looks green. :? Red LEDs not only appear dimmer to me that they do for others, they focus differently than other objects around me. Blue doesn't look as intense for me as it does for others.

There are times I can't tell if an LED is red or green. I had an ASUS MOBO that had an LED backlit logo that indicated if overclocking was on or off by display either red or green. I never could tell what color the display was. I had to go into the BIOS to make sure overclocking was disabled (sometimes, it turned itself on and the computer would start running hotter).

When I worked at Motorola and I got in a new batch of components, I would just take one across the hall to the incoming mechanical inspectors and ask them what the colors were, then I could just visually compare it to a sample of others in the batch before testing them. No one seemed to have a problem with that.

One of two things that drove me nuts lately was when making up, repairing, or modifying Ethernet cables since I often can't tell one pair from another. If I have both ends right in front of me, I can use my DVOM to sort them out. If the ends are separated, I have to guess which is which, then use a tester to see if I got it right (it often took several tries to get it right since the tester results were only pass or fail). Most of the time, I just use patch cables that are close enough to the length I need. What I should do is make an adapter I can plug one end of a cable into that has different resistors across each twisted pair, then use a DVOM to compare the resistances across the pairs on the other end but I haven't needed to make up cables often enough to be worth bothering.

The other is this *&^%$#@! machine that the DMV here uses to test vision. It shows blurred blurred characters inside the machine that have to be identified. Since the characters look like they are a mix of colors, the red focuses differently than others and makes them look even more blurred. I would like to meet the clowns who invented that machine and approved its use. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:15 am .
According to the circles of dots, I can't even see colors at all but I definitely do not see things in shades of gray only. RGB (Red, Blue, Green) are my weakest colors. Green traffic lights look white to me but grass looks green. :? Red LEDs not only appear dimmer to me that they do for others, they focus differently than other objects around me. Blue doesn't look as intense for me as it does for others.
How did you do with the old amber monitors? I am not color blind but for years, even up to retirement, I used amber monitors/terminals (VT series) on a lot of our equipment. I preferred amber monitors much more than any b/w or green monitor.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lou77 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:30 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:15 am .
How did you do with the old amber monitors? I am not color blind but for years, even up to retirement, I used amber monitors/terminals (VT series) on a lot of our equipment. I preferred amber monitors much more than any b/w or green monitor.
The old monochromatic monitors were never a problem for me. I could always adjust the brightness if needed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

majpooper wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:51 pm
Here is the link:
https://online.visual-paradigm.com/diag ... -software/
Just a heads up; yeah it's free until you want to really use it and keep your diagram . . .
FWIW, I do the diagrams right in Libreoffice Draw which comes bundled with Mint. This article describes how you can add some icons to make it something like the diagram you made.

https://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2020/01/libr ... agram.html
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

now that is pretty darn neat.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I never ever had any trouble passing the color blind test in the military but on rare occasion very light pastel green and blue can look alike to me. It's strange because my wife will differently see the difference yet, again, I always was able to read all the numbers in the colorblind test.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, we made it. I am now in the new office, with the new "Imperial Battle Station" which is the Windows desktop, and the Thelio with four monitors all set up. Thank goodness the people who owned this place had made sure that there were extra power outlets. WiFi is really fast, and I need to get an extra Ethernet cable since my 12' cable is 1 1/2' too short to reach the Thelio. I am also going to try and get both cable management done as soon as I can get the velco ties, and raise the Windows box off the floor even further since the dog walked through and left a trail of "floof" behind her as she walked. She is currently under my desk supervising the construction, and eating treats.

We are still unboxing, and finding lost things, so that will go on for a few weeks. The furniture which was supposed to have arrived on the 6th is delayed to the 20th since my wife decided to change the color.... :( My youngest got into my office last night, and she did her Feng Shui on my bookcases, and so all the books have been unboxed, and assigned to their proper location. I am so glad I got rid of 140-150 books before the move. I took them to the local cancer hospital and they scarfed them up quickly.

Now I just need a place to locate the inkjet all in one so I can have my scanner back, and life will be good.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:45 pm Well, we made it. I am now in the new office, with the new "Imperial Battle Station" which is the Windows desktop, and the Thelio with four monitors all set up. Thank goodness the people who owned this place had made sure that there were extra power outlets. WiFi is really fast, and I need to get an extra Ethernet cable since my 12' cable is 1 1/2' too short to reach the Thelio. I am also going to try and get both cable management done as soon as I can get the velco ties, and raise the Windows box off the floor even further since the dog walked through and left a trail of "floof" behind her as she walked. She is currently under my desk supervising the construction, and eating treats.

We are still unboxing, and finding lost things, so that will go on for a few weeks. The furniture which was supposed to have arrived on the 6th is delayed to the 20th since my wife decided to change the color.... :( My youngest got into my office last night, and she did her Feng Shui on my bookcases, and so all the books have been unboxed, and assigned to their proper location. I am so glad I got rid of 140-150 books before the move. I took them to the local cancer hospital and they scarfed them up quickly.

Now I just need a place to locate the inkjet all in one so I can have my scanner back, and life will be good.
Good to hear the move is going mostly good!

The cancer hospital is a good thought for old books, the last time we moved I donated 4 large boxes to the local library. The ones that they did not keep they sold in a book sale. I thought about buying some of them back, but the wife intervened.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:45 pm and I need to get an extra Ethernet cable since my 12' cable is 1 1/2' too short to reach the Thelio.
Maybe now is the time to learn how to make your own cables, not too difficult as long as you have the right tools.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My wife came in and made the comment that I desperately need cable management. I am slowly getting boxes unpacked. My old Gateway 2000 speakers have died, they do not work on either computer so it is time to send them to the great scrapyard in the sky. So in a couple of days I will trot over to Best Buy and get another pair of Logitech speakers (the cheap ones). I feel a certain sense of accomplishment, I re-installed Mint 21.3 on the Thelio with the System 76 PPA installed. But since I have a second drive in the system, I did something I have never done before I put /home on that drive when I was setting it up. However, I farked up a bit and gave swap 50 gb of space on the boot drive since I was not sure what exactly I was doing. But the system seems to be working just fine for now. I have gotten everything configured so all that is left is a slightly longer Ethernet cable, and new speakers.

My daughters boyfriend came over last night and was entranced by the Thelio running Mint. He is having to learn some Linux for his Computer Science degree, and was interested. I actually was able to show him a couple of things which amazed me.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

women:
always wanting things neat, before you have a chance to get settled in....

my daughter is the exception, bless her heart....

we live together in peace 99.95% of the time....
she loves to cook, so I get good meals every evening, unlike what I will do.. * snack *
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:57 pm ...My old Gateway 2000 speakers have died, they do not work on either computer so it is time to send them to the great scrapyard in the sky. So in a couple of days I will trot over to Best Buy and get another pair of Logitech speakers (the cheap ones)...
If (and I realize that is a big if) you like to listen to high quality music while at the computer or doing something else in the computer room/man cave, you might want to consider something other than the Logitech. If you want a 2.1 system (two satellites and a sub-woofer), you might be able to get better sound and reliability from another brand. I've had Logitech speakers in the past and, while not bad, they weren't exactly great either and weren't particularly reliable. Shortly after I got the 5.1 Logitech speakers I had, the sub woofer channel and the center channel morphed and changing the volume of the sub also changed the volume of the center channel. I finally disconnected the center channel speaker.

Bose makes 2.0 speakers that sound almost as good as a good low end 2.1 system and take up far less space but, omigosh are they way overpriced! :shock:

You generally have to listen to various brands to find out what sounds best to you (they are your ears; trust them).

While far more bulky than your typical 2.1 computer speakers (and more expensive but well worth it), using low end to midrange studio monitors for the satellites along with a sub will give a vastly superior sound. They aren't so called audiophile (aka audio snob) quality but can give the best compromise for sound quality vs cost. Studio monitors are designed to have a flat frequency response and are self amplified so they can be used without a sub or separate amps or tuner (you only need a tuner with studio monitors if you want to listen to radio). The flat response makes setting an EQ much easier.

I love my 5" JBL studio monitor satellites and down firing 10" subwoofer. I could have gotten by without the sub if I had opted for 8" satellites but those were just too huge and heavy to hang cantilevered out from the wall. I wouldn't have saved much money either. Even the 5" monitors are pretty bulky, especially if you set them on the desk.

Whatever you choose—regular comparatively inexpensive computer speakers (nothing wrong with them if they meet your needs) or higher end speakers—I'm curious to see how you position them to balance the sound since you have two places to work from at your battle station. Mayhap even bluetooth headphones or ear buds instead of speakers? Some of those even feature noise cancelling.
Jeannie

wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

Many years ago I chose a Midiland 2.1 system over the Logitech and it was a good system that lasted a long time. I think my grandson may still be using it. However, for my office I wanted a radio as well as computer speakers and maybe twenty years ago I got the Tivoli Audio Model Two to use with my computer. Kind of wish I would have gotten the subwoofer but it is an excellent little system that continues to serve me well. It wasn't crazy expensive when I got it but they became quite expensive before being discontinued. If I were in the marked for a replacement today I wouldn't worry about the radio and I would find something with good sound and separation without spending too much. Would have definitely snapped up the Bose 301s I saw at Free Geek the other day! If you have anything like FreeGeek or get lucky at Good Will, sometimes you can find great bookshelf speakers cheap.

That said, I am more likely today to use my Tribit XSound Go. That silly little cheap thing sounds WAY better than anything like that has a right to! The battery lasts forever, it takes virtually no room in my computer bag and even fits easily in a jacket pocket. I can have my laptop plugged in in another room and have the speaker in the kitchen while listening to music or podcasts. Can pick it up and move down to the laundry room without missing a beat with Mint and this Latitude. Don't have the range with MX and an old MBP but it works fine with that also provided its close. Its also great with my phone.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Over 25 years ago I purchased a Bose bass box and 2 satellite speakers that I installed on my computer system. It sounded pretty ordinary (cheap & nasty) until I added a USB DAC. It now sounds like real music. I'm still using it and it'll probably outlast me.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Peter Linu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:41 pm Over 25 years ago I purchased a Bose bass box and 2 satellite speakers that I installed on my computer system. It sounded pretty ordinary (cheap & nasty) until I added a USB DAC. It now sounds like real music. I'm still using it and it'll probably outlast me.
You brought up a good point. I drive my JBLs from a Dragonfly Red USB DAC. It outputs 2.0 stereo that the sub extracts the signal from for the bass before passing the rest to the satellites. I get far better audio than I ever got from onboard sound from any laptop or desktop computer.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Good points and thanks. I feel a certain sense of accomplishment Linux-wise. I re-installed Mint 21.3 (with the System 76 PPA for the stupid fan controller software) back on the Thelio. Since I have two drives in it; a 500gb boot drive and a 1tb data drive I did something I have never ever done before. I went in and manually set up my partitions, and put the /home on the 1tb drive. Now I did make a mistake on the other drive, I gave the efi partition 50 gb, and same for swap. But that still leaves me 399 gb of space, which I seriously doubt I will ever use since Linux is so space efficient. I know those partitions are too big, but this was my very first time doing this, and I feel it was a bit of accomplishment.

Now the thing works really well. I had to run the Thelio on the Wifi since my 12' Ethernet cable was just too short, and this morning while doing some further cleaning up, I found a new in package 14' Ethernet cable (blue, cat 5e) which just reached the back of the Thelio, and so now I have Ethernet on both computers.

The Gateway 2000 speakers have power, so it is something inside of them. I checked and they are Altec-Lansing speakers which are supposed to be pretty decent. These speakers have been with me through at least five computers, and over 20 years. They have surprisingly good sound for allegedly "crappy" speakers. I am absolutely going to miss them, although it appears that there is a fix that can be done to replace some parts.

I really like BOSE speakers, but right now they are outside of the budget, so I will stick with the cheap Logitech speakers for now. Since the Spouse-Unit changed the color on the new sofa and chair that was supposed to have been delivered on the 6th, we now have to wait till the 20th for our living room furniture to get here. I told her I liked the color and not to change things, but Noooooo..... Well it is her house (and Luna the dogs) so she can do with it what she wants to do with it. She did get her dedicated sewing room, so she should be happy.

Well it is time to get out the Murphy's Oil Soap and clean the wood floors in the office, they look terrible with all the stuff that has been dragged across them.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:56 am Good points and thanks. I feel a certain sense of accomplishment Linux-wise. I re-installed Mint 21.3 (with the System 76 PPA for the stupid fan controller software) back on the Thelio. Since I have two drives in it; a 500gb boot drive and a 1tb data drive I did something I have never ever done before. I went in and manually set up my partitions, and put the /home on the 1tb drive. Now I did make a mistake on the other drive, I gave the efi partition 50 gb, and same for swap. But that still leaves me 399 gb of space, which I seriously doubt I will ever use since Linux is so space efficient. I know those partitions are too big, but this was my very first time doing this, and I feel it was a bit of accomplishment.
I have changed the partition sizes of my drive, with NO damage to the OS at all.
so, go in and shrink the efi partition if you want, but with a 1TB drive, it ain't worth it.
for Swap, 2gB is enough, if you have lots of memory.

I have 16gB of RAM, and Swap has never been used once.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:32 pm ...I have 16gB of RAM, and Swap has never been used once.
I also have 16GB of RAM and, even with the multi-tasking I do on multiple workspaces, I've yet to come close to saturating the RAM.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The Thelio has 32 gb of ram, and it has never been an issue.

Return to “Open Chat”