Another great review of Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Another great review of Mint

Post by MurphCID »

"Mint is for Power users" "Mint makes using my computer fun" Jay at Learn Linux TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtkIVtZfjgg
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Another great review of Mint

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:58 pm Jay at Learn Linux TV:
How big is that monitor he has? :shock:
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

SMG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:44 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:58 pm Jay at Learn Linux TV:
How big is that monitor he has? :shock:
It looks like a Samsung 49" ultra wide monitor (I don't recommend Samsung anything). Other companies make similar sized wide screen monitors, like LG (I don't recommend them, either) and ASUS (another one I don't recommend).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It is going to be that 49" monitor, Best Buy had one for in excess of $1,000 if you really wanted to get one. I don't know what I would do with something like that. But his review of Mint 21.3 was excellent. Jay is always fair.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:33 pm ...I don't know what I would do with something like that...
While it would be more compact than my three 24" monitor setup, having three separate HDMI feeds to three monitors makes it easier for me to mirror the monitors to my TV. i have a total of seven of the monitors I'm using three of so I'm fixed for monitors for the rest of my life as long as I can get 5760 x 1080 from whatever graphics card I'm using.

It's also easier to frame and tile windows on individual monitors.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:29 pm like LG (I don't recommend them, either) and ASUS (another one I don't recommend).
As the owner of an LG ultrawide, I don't recommend them either. Nice monitor, but a pain on my T430 getting it to work at its native resolution (2560x1080)*.

* strangely, no issues plugged into my thinkcentre M720Q, same OS, LM21.3, same kernel, 5.15 - go figure?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I have two monitors now, a Samsung and a HP. Both have worked well; the Samsung was a freebie I got last year and past that I would not have bought a Samsung monitor. I have never cared for ASUS or LG, but I suspect a lot of issues folks have with monitors may be related to their graphics card.

I am currently in the market for a 30 or so inch monitor, 49 inch would be way too much territory for my eyes to cover. I like multi or bigger monitors as I can have a number of opened sites, manuals, etc. at one time.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just saw a 49" LG at Best Buy for $1,600+. Not for me, not at all.

So far Mint 21.3 seems to be garnering really solid reviews.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

For those of you that won't recommend Samsung, LG or Asus , what would you use instead?

At work we've been using mostly Dell, Philips, Samsung and BenQ 27" monitors.
At my desk I now have one computer with a 34" , and one with 2x27"
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

ivar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:42 pm For those of you that won't recommend Samsung, LG or Asus , what would you use instead?

At work we've been using mostly Dell, Philips, Samsung and BenQ 27" monitors.
At my desk I now have one computer with a 34" , and one with 2x27"
Frankly, I don't know. Seems most. if not all, of computer component companies have gone downhill.

Samsung has been putting out lousy appliances and TVs for quite awhile and, recently, been releasing buggy SSDs. The Sammy printer I had was a POS. Their customer "service" always was a sad joke but, recently, it has gotten even worse.

LG also makes lousy appliances, etc. and their customer "service" is another sad joke.

ASUS still makes good products but their customer "service", especially on warranty claims, has recently plummeted.

All three of these companies used to be good to deal with but not anymore.

HP makes good products but DRM consumables, employs other shady practices regarding printer ink and toner cartridges, and their customer service sucks like a Hoover on steroids. I stopped using HP after I bought a monitor that was supposed to automagically correct orientation when it was rotated from landscape to portrait. Their tech help was helpless.

Acer monitors are popular but, of the three Acer products I've had, two—a mouse and a computer—were garbage and the other one—a keyboard— was meh.

I currently have seven ASUS VG248QE 24" monitors (TN panels). I originally was going to have six in use and a spare since they were an older model when I bought the last four but, after switching to Linux and discovered workspaces, decided three were plenty for my needs. Obviously, they are all long since out of warranty but, with four spares, I'm fixed for monitors for the rest of my life.
Jeannie

ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:27 pm Frankly, I don't know. Seems most. if not all, of computer component companies have gone downhill.
Sad but true! The enshittification ensues
HP makes good products but DRM consumables, employs other shady practices regarding printer ink and toner cartridges, and their customer service sucks like a Hoover on steroids.
As for HP, they've been increasingly anti-consumer lately, their once rock solid printers now often require an internet connection to install / print / scan
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

ivar wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:07 am "enshittification"
Interesting word. I like it! :lol:
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:27 pm ...HP makes good products but DRM consumables, employs other shady practices regarding printer ink and toner cartridges, and their customer service sucks like a Hoover on steroids. I stopped using HP after I bought a monitor that was supposed to automagically correct orientation when it was rotated from landscape to portrait. Their tech help was helpless...
Here is an example of one of HP's shady practices regarding printer ink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeOh7lQPXL0
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”