What is your opinion on systemd?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sylvain1_
Level 2
Level 2

What is your opinion on systemd?

Post by sylvain1_ »

Is systemd good or bad?

Is it better to use something else as the init system, like runit or openrc or sinit?

Does using sysvinit with systemd-shim solve the supposed problems of systemd, or do the problems still exist for systemd-shim?

If systemd is bad, why is linux mint debian edition not based on devuan instead, which allows for non-systemd init systems?

Thank you for your opinions.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is your opinion on systemd?

Post by bin »

Oh please, not again..............!
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Systemd is not bad. Take a look at this: https://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-b ... myths.html
I don't know if it's good, I don't know enough systems design to judge that.

This is a human / culture issue, not a technical issue. Almost everything is.
A small minority always forms some kind of weird kooky religion around a non-issue.
Since the small minority is so loud and aggressive, they spread it to the rest of the group.

Whenever something gets "unified" in the Linux world, some people freak out.
It happened with Ubuntu's success.
Some people started acting like Ubuntu = Windows and Canonical = Microsoft.
Similar with systemd.
For years people complained about the lack of standardization of boot process and system services.
When it finally happened, some people started acting like it's the devil.
Some of the arguments are so silly, like:
the guy who wrote systemd got a job at Microsoft years later so systemd must be pure evil :lol:
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

bin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:58 am Oh please, not again..............!
+++1 :)
Do a search and you'll find every opinion in the world. Systemd works fine is easier to use and modify than SystemV But the great thing about Linux is that you have choices and if you feel uncomfortable with Systemd you can change to the one your comfortable with unless you running gnome/cinnamon that is gnome sort of forces you to use systemd I'm not sure but I think when wayland becomes the default you have have to use systemd also. JMHO.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

sylvain1_ wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:06 am Is systemd good or bad?
No, it's not. :wink:

It's a tool. Some prefer this tool, some prefer another. It's apparently fit for the job, as it's working fine for me. So I consider it to be good enough and leave it at that.
The Mint team, too, apparently considers it good enough as well or they would not be using it. And I trust the Mint team, or I would not be using their distro. Done and dusted!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jdm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jdm »

I got into linux before systemd was released.
This meant when it started taking over I had to relearn a load of terminal commands.
I now have two sets of commands in my head to do each thing which often get mixed up.

I ocassionally find problems because when systemd took over from init, bugs were created and things that used to work no longer work.
Here is one example for which there appears to be no easy workaround. Systemd ignores keyscript options in crypttab. I have come across a few other annoying issues created by the change to systemd.

37.5% of the coders are RedHat. That's quite a high percentage.

My opinion of systemd is mixed. If bugs that were created and noted over 10 years ago were fixed I might have a higher opinion of systemd.

EDIT:
An example noted in 2011
https://groups.google.com/g/linux.debia ... xCz2woAgAJ
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

jdm wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:28 am If bugs that were created and noted over 10 years ago were fixed I might have a higher opinion of systemd.
You hit the nail on the head. :)

To the OP, you're not going to get too many negative reactions about systemd here on the Mint forums since Mint uses systemd. I'll just say this: the Unix philosophy is to do one thing, and to do it good. systemd does a lot of things.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Topic locked. This has been discussed to death. Look up older topics on the same.

Return to “Chat about Linux”