It is heck getting old

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: It is heck getting old

Post by RollyShed »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:12 am
RollyShed wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:48 pm ...Then the more uncivilised i.e. USA has 12 !!!!...
Hey, I represent that remark!

:wink:
I thought it might spark a reaction... :lol: :roll:
That's why I fired it off ... :mrgreen:
Light up the thread... :?:
And probably chisel something that I saw with it being plane. A wooden response.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:56 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:12 am
RollyShed wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:48 pm ...Then the more uncivilised i.e. USA has 12 !!!!...
Hey, I represent that remark!

I thought it might spark a reaction... :lol: :roll:
That's why I fired it off ... :mrgreen:
Light up the thread... :?:
And probably chisel something that I saw with it being plane. A wooden response.
groan meter.gif
groan meter.gif (47.77 KiB) Viewed 857 times

Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I really have come to hate waking up, and then telling myself: "Well heck, THAT did not hurt yesterday!"
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm I really have come to hate waking up, and then telling myself: "Well heck, THAT did not hurt yesterday!"
Or going to bed and discovering an ache or few you didn't notice during the day while you had things distracting you from it. That happened to me last night. I went to bed and it was only then I noticed an ache on my right hand from my dear old Uncle Arthur Itis. Kept me awake for a while. I wake up every morning with a backache.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
featherlessbiped
Level 1
Level 1

Post by featherlessbiped »

I'm seeing a doctor soon who prescribes peptides that can quickly heal connective tissue or brain damage. I'll let you know what I used, the dosages, and the results.

Peptides in this context are signaling molecules which interact with the receptors on the outside of human cells. Contrast this with steroids which are signaling molecules that enter a cell and do various things depending on the type of steroid.

Our body produces many, many different peptides, many which ave multiple uses, but these new drugs are molecules built to only interact with specific receptors on the outsides of certain cells.
gw18k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gw18k »

Another thing that weighs heavy on my mind.....
I feel really good when the kids in their 20's come by or spend a few minutes to talk with me. I start feeling special.
Then I remember when I was that age. I'd go up and talk to those old people because I felt sorry for them, not because I wanted to be friends.
My friends daughter had a puppy and she walks over and asks if I'd like to hold it and pet it. It hit me like George Foreman.

And my strange priority of thought:
Like there's that split second when I lose my balance in the shower and I think, "They are going to find me naked."
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.― Jimi Hendrix
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

gw18k wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:18 pm Another thing that weighs heavy on my mind.....
...And my strange priority of thought:
Like there's that split second when I lose my balance in the shower and I think, "They are going to find me naked."
I've had that thought, and similar ones, more frequently the older I get. I just hope that, if it happens, I'll be too dead to care.
Jeannie

sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Yep, this thread hits home for me. I'm 71 now & all my friends have either died or moved away. My Mom died in July & my cat in August. A cousin died around that same time & another had a massive stroke. I call 2023 the Summer of death. All other relatives are long gone except a few cousins. It makes you wonder what life is really about. What else can we do but roll with the flow? If you never heard the Johnny Cash song Hurt, give a listen. It will tear your heart out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZTRGiI
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Having failed in my original intention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtswPsHOT9w I’m certainly not going to start moaning about something I’ve done to myself; so I think I’m on Pjotrs side here.
Pjotr wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:44 am Life is hard and then we die.... :mrgreen:
https://quotefancy.com/quote/34239/Marc ... smile-back

So, in the meantime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
Rock on dudes.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I'm 71 years old and I'm thankful everyday the Good Lord Blesses me with a new day.

Life Is Good.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

The one thing that I fail to see in this thread is exercise as a remedy. As little as walking for 20 minutes every day keeps me ache and pain-free.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Peter Linu wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:53 pm The one thing that I fail to see in this thread is exercise as a remedy. As little as walking for 20 minutes every day keeps me ache and pain-free.
Not all of us can exercise. There is a reason for the handicap placard in my van.

I used to do a lot of hiking in mountainous terrain when I was younger but, due to a hereditary foot condition (metatarsus adductus), my feet are deformed and finally gave out on me, even after three foot surgeries, two of them major, in an attempt to relieve the condition (I have a titanium screw in my right foot). I also received permanent muscle damage due to an overzealous doctor putting me on a statin.
Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Peter Linu wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:53 pm The one thing that I fail to see in this thread is exercise as a remedy. As little as walking for 20 minutes every day keeps me ache and pain-free.
Sorry, I only do 30km of bicycle riding (no electrics) per week now to the Shed.
That's 10km 3 times a week and it includes a stop to buy the groceries.
Before I retired it used to be a minimum of 100km a week to work and possibly a quick 50km ride over the hills in the weekend.

Otherwise maybe a hour or so sea kayaking. Yes, both biking and kayaking are sitting down exercises. Lazy?
Doug Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Doug Linux »

stevengarland wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:49 pm I am 86 today!
I'm 70 today! I'm working on getting old. Bought an ebike yesterday and plan on being fit as a 20 year old!

Doug
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Ok, exercise, eat right, take vitamins, etc, then guess what: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhf4s_xXM3Y

:) :) :lol: :lol:
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I used to ride my bicycle most everywhere I could on a regular bases but unable to do that at the moment these days as I need a full hip replacement bone on bone caused by arthritis.

Just received my doctors referral to be seen by my orthopedic doctor to get hip replacement surgery scheduled.

So once I've a new hip I'll be back on my bicycle riding. :wink:
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Doug Linux wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:41 amI'm 70 today! I'm working on getting old. Bought an ebike yesterday and plan on being fit as a 20 year old!
As I'm only 81, I've admitted to possibly getting an electric bike in 2 decades time. Otherwise I'll keep using the one that I've taken to Australia and Thailand on tours.

Hospitals - they often stick contacts on your chest to do heart monitoring. There are two types of contact, one comes off reasonably easily, the other tries to take the skin with it.

Leave them on until you get home and then apply isopropyl alcohol (from a hardware shop or chemist) on a bit of tissue paper. hold it on for about 10 seconds and the contact should then come off easily.

The alternative is alcohol applied internally, usually a greater quantity and usually whiskey.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:40 pm ...Hospitals - they often stick contacts on your chest to do heart monitoring. There are two types of contact, one comes off reasonably easily, the other tries to take the skin with it.

Leave them on until you get home and then apply isopropyl alcohol (from a hardware shop or chemist) on a bit of tissue paper. hold it on for about 10 seconds and the contact should then come off easily.

The alternative is alcohol applied internally, usually a greater quantity and usually whiskey.
:lol:
Jeannie

MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

"Growing old is the only way we have found to live a long time". This is what I console myself with...

At 67, only one prescription for chronic allergic rhinitis.

But I am temporary invalid, after a fall I had a break of quadriceps tendon, have been operated, and condemned to have my right leg blocked in a splint for 6 weeks without the authorization to have my right foot touch the ground. Still two weeks to wait for splint removal, and I should be able to walk, with crutches in a first time... And months of re-education to recover normal knee flexion capacity!
Not specific to old persons, but full recovering could take longer than at 20.

Note that, in western countries, people appearance and health at 65 are the ones that 50 years old people had forty years ago.

Regards,

MN

Return to “Open Chat”