[CLOSED] Screen turns back on after screensavor activates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SunriseYawning
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen turns back on after screensaver activates

Post by SunriseYawning »

sebastjava wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:43 am I would simply like to make things clear, if you don't mind. Worst, I don't have answers, I just have questions:
I don't mind one bit. Like I said, it's an annoyance, but one that is growing on me. The biggest annoyance is when I switch to my work laptop and switch monitor inputs. When my work laptop sleeps, the screen revert back to Linux Mint, requiring me to manually move the inputs back to my work laptop, like some sort of heathen. :D

I've replied to your questions in-line:
  • The Power Manager sends some DPMS command, right? After counting 5 or 15 minutes or more, it sends a xset dpms force off or "standby" or "suspend", I don't know what exactly...
    - I believe so? I'm not familiar with what Power Manager does exactly. I assume there is a service that will issue the appropriate xset command after a given time.
  • You also tried with that CLI and it works, at first, but the screen wakes up after a few minutes. Did I understand your OP correctly?
    - yes, tried with the CLI but screen wakes up after a few *seconds*, not minutes.
  • Does it also works with the GUI, when you set the power manager to turn off the screen when inactive for 5 minutes? Yes, the screen is back on after a few minutes, but did it work, at least for a few seconds?
    - Yes, screen turns off, and then after a few seconds it turns back on. The screen turning off behavior is inconsistent at best.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Screen turns back on after screensavor activates

Post by sebastjava »

Thanks for that quick and precise reply. So, to sum up, both the GUI and the CLI are working, but only for a few seconds. "The screen turning off behavior is inconsistent, at best."

Well, yes, I would do this simple test here. I would unplug both the keyboard and the mouse. I added a 60 seconds delay, so you get enough time to do that:

Code: Select all

bash -c "cinnamon-screensaver-command -l; sleep 60; xset dpms force off;"
(The USB is a "Hot-Plug", it can be disconnected and reconnected while everything is powered on without causing any damage.)
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Screen turns back on after screensaver activates

Post by SMG »

SunriseYawning wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:57 amThe biggest annoyance is when I switch to my work laptop and switch monitor inputs.
How are you switching to your work laptop? Are you using a KVM?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SunriseYawning
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SunriseYawning »

sebastjava wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:25 am Well, yes, I would do this simple test here. I would unplug both the keyboard and the mouse. I added a 60 seconds delay, so you get enough time to do that:

bash -c "cinnamon-screensaver-command -l; sleep 60; xset dpms force off;"
Screen turned off after a minute and then turned back on after roughly 10 seconds.
sebastjava wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:25 am (The USB is a "Hot-Plug", it can be disconnected and reconnected while everything is powered on without causing any damage.)
Thanks for the reminder. Just to level-set appropriately, I'm very experienced in IT. I'm quite familiar with USB. :D I'm just not an expert in Linux Mint specifically. Though, tbh, if this were happening on Ubuntu, I think I'd be just as lost.
SMG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:33 am How are you switching to your work laptop? Are you using a KVM?
Nothing that fancy. I have my keyboard and other peripherals on a USB hub. I manually move the hub USB to my work laptop's docking station. The monitors have a total of four inputs: VGA, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, and HDMI. The DisplayPort on both monitors are directly connected to my work laptop's docking station. HDMI and MiniDP are then directly connected to my Linux Mint Desktop.

I know that DisplayPort KVM switches exist but can't justify spending $200+ on something that would provide little value to me.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SunriseYawning wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:21 am The monitors have a total of four inputs: VGA, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, and HDMI. The DisplayPort on both monitors are directly connected to my work laptop's docking station. HDMI and MiniDP are then directly connected to my Linux Mint Desktop.
So you have the monitors simultaneously connected to two different computers? Are you completely shutting down one computer before moving to the other? Or are both computers running and thus both of them are trying to control the monitors?
SunriseYawning
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SunriseYawning »

SMG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:07 pm So you have the monitors simultaneously connected to two different computers? Are you completely shutting down one computer before moving to the other? Or are both computers running and thus both of them are trying to control the monitors?
I have both monitors simultaneously connected to two different computers. Right now, my work laptop is completely shut down.

During the work day, my Linux Mint computer stays online because I run various services. To say that they are both trying to control the monitors is not quite right. When I was on Ubuntu Desktop, I would lock Ubuntu, which would turn off the monitors. With my work computer on, I was free to use the monitors with it.

If I locked my work computer for lunch, or whatever, it would also turn off the monitors, leaving the monitors in a sort of "standby" mode (e.g. LED backlight off). I could, if I wanted to, switch my mouse to Ubuntu and the monitors would switch magically with no input from me. After a minute or so without input (assuming I didn't enter my password), the monitors would turn off again, allowing me to return to my work computer by switching my mouse input to it (or tapping the keyboard).
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SunriseYawning wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm When I was on Ubuntu Desktop
I presume you are referring to used the Gnome desktop
SunriseYawning wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm I would lock Ubuntu
How were you locking it? And how are you locking it now?

You titled this topic that the screen turns back on after the screensaver activates, but the settings I am seeing for locking is that locking happen after the screensaver activates and not before the screensaver. However, that would be using default settings which may not be how you are locking.
SunriseYawning
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SunriseYawning »

SMG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 pm I presume you are referring to used the Gnome desktop
I believe so. Whatever their default DE is.
SMG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 pm How were you locking it? And how are you locking it now?
Super+L (Win+L) for both Ubuntu and Linux Mint

I originally remapped the Lock shortcut to Win+L but then saw that similar people had issues so I created a custom command, as I originally posted.
SMG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 pm You titled this topic that the screen turns back on after the screensaver activates, but the settings I am seeing for locking is that locking happen after the screensaver activates and not before the screensaver. However, that would be using default settings which may not be how you are locking.
I've attached screenshots for my settings. Hopefully it will help.
Attachments
Power Management Settings.png
Keyboard Shortcut Settings.png
Screensavor Settings.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SunriseYawning wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:46 am
SMG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 pm You titled this topic that the screen turns back on after the screensaver activates, but the settings I am seeing for locking is that locking happen after the screensaver activates and not before the screensaver. However, that would be using default settings which may not be how you are locking.
I've attached screenshots for my settings. Hopefully it will help.
You have the screensaver set to come on after 15 minutes so it would seem something other than the screensaver is causing the screens to come back on because you said, "screen wakes up after a few *seconds*, not minutes." Others have used the same command as you are using and have not mentioned the screens coming back on.

Did you check to see if DPMS is showing as enabled for your monitors? What is the output of

xset -q
SunriseYawning wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:01 pmI found this forum post that seemed related: I'm using DisplayPort and HDMI for two screens. But the problem occurs even when I use one display.
In that case, the HDMI port was the issue with that GPU and that person found out that:
Turns out the problem was with the HDMI CABLE (5 meters long)

I have no idea why, but that particular cable kept waking the screens up from DPMS mode.

Problem is solved when using other HDMI cables (shorter ones).
I do not know enough about how GNOME works to know if there are differences in the screensaver. If you were using a recent version it is possible you might have been using Wayland rather than X Server which might be making a difference.
SunriseYawning
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SunriseYawning »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:48 pm Did you check to see if DPMS is showing as enabled for your monitors? What is the output of

xset -q

Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  XKB indicators:
    00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    off    02: Scroll Lock: off
    03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
    06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
    09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
    12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
  auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fadfffefffedffff
                        9fffffffffffffff
                        fff7ffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  0
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
Font Path:
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On
SMG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:48 pm I do not know enough about how GNOME works to know if there are differences in the screensaver. If you were using a recent version it is possible you might have been using Wayland rather than X Server which might be making a difference.
I don't think I was using Wayland. Pretty sure it was X...but with that said, what I can try to do is boot from an ubuntu 22 Live CD and see if it works the way I expect.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SunriseYawning wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:37 pmI don't think I was using Wayland. Pretty sure it was X...but with that said, what I can try to do is boot from an ubuntu 22 Live CD and see if it works the way I expect.
When you boot it, let us know the inxi output (you might have to install inxi) of

LANG=C inxi -Fxxxrzc0 --usb
I am out of new ideas.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:58 pm I am out of new ideas.
In the worst case, if nothing works, please remind me to tell you about xrandr. I think you could create a keyboard shortcut to turn off your screen in a more radical way than with DPMS... Something similar to the shortcut you already had created: lock the screen, and then turn it off. Radically.

But be careful! When you switch off the output to a monitor using xrandr, it won't turn back on when you touch your keyboard or mouse! So, you need to make sure you also create a keyboard shortcut to turn it back on! Else, you could need to force your computer to power off and then back on to reset everything... :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sebastjava wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:45 pm
SMG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:58 pm I am out of new ideas.
In the worst case, if nothing works, please remind me to tell you about xrandr. I think you could create a keyboard shortcut to turn off your screen in a more radical way than with DPMS... Something similar to the shortcut you already had created: lock the screen, and then turn it off. Radically.
I am not the OP and you already posted about that in this topic.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:30 pm I am not the OP and you already posted about that in this topic.
About xrandr? In this topic? No, I didn't mention that before. Search for xrandr using Firefox, you won't find it here.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Ah, okay, sorry, I did reference it before, with a link... But I did not really give much details...
sebastjava wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:33 pm Else, if you really want to make things more complicated and mess up with your system, then follow my nice little tutorial here: viewtopic.php?p=2437772#p2437772
SunriseYawning
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SunriseYawning »

It looks like a live ubuntu USB isn't going to cut it. Lock is disabled for some odd reason.

I'll admit, I'm at the point of giving up myself. Short of diving head-deep into the power management settings, I'm at a loss of why it's happening.

Should I mark this thread "Solved"?
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

SunriseYawning wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:15 pm I'll admit, I'm at the point of giving up myself.
Well, if we are running out of time before you close this topic, then I have to throw in my thoughts, at the high risk of looking a bit stupid...

Primo. I would be curious to see if you still get this problem when you only have one computer plugged to the monitors. Disconnect your job's laptop from all the screens, or just do a complete shutdown, and have only Linux Mint running. Then do your combination of screen lock plus DPMS. Using either screensaver + power manager, or your custom CLI. I bet everything works fine when you only have Linux Mint connected to these monitors. Thanks to SMG for suggesting this idea to me. I bet you both had already thought of this, but I didn't see any echo of it...

Secundo. My xrandr custom solution may look a bit crazy, but I am confident it could work. But that would be a long story. Maybe I will take the time to write about this later, if you don't change the title to (SOLVED) or (CLOSED)...
Last edited by sebastjava on Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Please post the output from:

xrandr --listactivemonitors
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SunriseYawning wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:15 pm It looks like a live ubuntu USB isn't going to cut it. Lock is disabled for some odd reason.
I have no guesses why that might be.
SunriseYawning wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:15 pmShould I mark this thread "Solved"?
Topics remain open for six months after they are created. If you decide you no longer want help on this issue, I suggest marking it [CLOSED] rather than solved because we have not figured out why it is happening.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

SMG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:09 am
SunriseYawning wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:15 pm It looks like a live ubuntu USB isn't going to cut it. Lock is disabled for some odd reason.
I have no guesses why that might be.
I would suggest a very simple answer... Case example:

It is a live session. I am a newbie. I don't know the username and password for this live session. I am running the installer, everything went fine, it will be all done in approximately 2 minutes. Oops, now what!? Oh, I had the screensaver set to start and lock after 15 minutes. So now, I am locked out of this live session, while the installer is still working, and I just don't know how to get back in.

I think this really happened to me once or twice, a few years ago... Yes, if I remember correctly, the username is "mint", and the password is "" (nothing). But I didn't know back then. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”