Xviewer Image Gallery fills "Recent Files" list

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
not2stressed
Level 1
Level 1

Xviewer Image Gallery fills "Recent Files" list

Post by not2stressed »

I'm using Mint 21.3 Cinnamon and something I find very annoying is that when I open an image using the default viewer (Xviewer3.4.4), even with the "Image Gallery" not showing the "Recent Files" list is filled with images that I did not explicitly open.

I would like to be able to also use the gallery view, but I think the "Recent Files" list should only be showing files which I explicitly opened by clicking on them.

Viewing the image folder in Nemo and displaying thumbnails does not cause this issue, so I guess it's something to do with Xviewer.

This is not new to the current version of Cinnamon, but I finally got annoyed enough to ask for help...

Is there a way to stop this behaviour by Xviewer? In the past I changed the default image viewing program to get around this issue, but I'm hoping there is a simple settings change somewhere that will fix it.
not2stressed
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Xviewer Image Gallery fills "Recent Files" list

Post by not2stressed »

Bump. I was hoping that after about 3 weeks and 70+ views someone may have had a way to address this issue...
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

not2stressed wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:00 am Bump. I was hoping that after about 3 weeks and 70+ views someone may have had a way to address this issue...
Viewing a pic in xviewer's image gallery certainly adds that file to the Cinnamon menu's Recent Files list and in Nemo's Recent list.

Sorry but I can't see a way around that. I checked with dconf-editor to see if /org/x/viewer had a hidden setting to control this, but it hasn't.

Maybe the pix application might meet your needs instead, it doesn't impact the Recent Files list.
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LPH_[retired] »

Perhaps this may help...

The only setting I've found in XnViewer is at F12>Interface.
There's a setting for Maximum entries under Recent Files portion of that screen as well as a checkbox for Purge 'recent files and folders' on exit

Regards
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
not2stressed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by not2stressed »

tonywhelan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:29 am Viewing a pic in xviewer's image gallery certainly adds that file to the Cinnamon menu's Recent Files list and in Nemo's Recent list.
Thanks for the reply. The one file viewed being added is expected, yes. But not the whole folder of images like what's happening.
And I've set the default application for opening pictures to be Pix, that is indeed the work around but it doesn't fix the problem with Xviewer.
not2stressed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by not2stressed »

LPH_[retired] wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 am Perhaps this may help...

The only setting I've found in XnViewer is at F12>Interface.
There's a setting for Maximum entries under Recent Files portion of that screen as well as a checkbox for Purge 'recent files and folders' on exit

Regards
Thanks, but I can't find any settings like that. F12 does nothing in Xviewer and I can't find any "Interface" settings.
I'm talking about "Image Viewer" in LM Cinnamon, it is shown as "Xviewer" in the help menu. Are you perhaps referring to "XnView"?
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LPH_[retired] »

Apologies. I mis-read your post. I am indeed using XnView MP.

Regards
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
PaulL
Level 6
Level 6

Post by PaulL »

I can't be of much help here, except to report that I have the same problem. So it's not just you.

I don't use the applet a lot, so I never really noticed before, but you are right; files in the directory where a viewed file lives all get added to the Recent Documents applet (recent@cinnamon.org). The applet is not listed at cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com, so I am assuming it is a built-in applet installed by default.

For what it's worth, if you remember the filename of the file you want to open, the main Cinnamon menu will display it if you type its name in the search bar. You can then open it from there. This feature appears to be controlled by the Privacy settings in the System Settings app. I just tried searching for one of the file names that showed up in the applet (a file that I never actually looked at), and it didn't appear.

I haven't figured out the bug-reporting process yet, but perhaps someone could report this as a bug to the Cinnamon team, if it hasn't already been reported.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

PaulL wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:48 am I haven't figured out the bug-reporting process yet, but perhaps someone could report this as a bug to the Cinnamon team, if it hasn't already been reported.
Bug report for xviewer is to be filed at https://github.com/linuxmint/xviewer/issues

Return to “Software & Applications”