Yet another reason I won't buy LG products.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Yet another reason I won't buy LG products.

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Here is another Louis Rossmann videos on another reason why I won't do business with LG besides defective products. https://youtu.be/Km-QqU5Pk84

I've had other LG products that were of poor quality, most notably a microwave that shipped with a bad sensor I couldn't file a warranty claim on because I needed to have a "smart" phone to retrieve the error code (all other microwaves I've owned would post the error code on the LCD screen). Even if I had a "smart" phone, it wouldn't do me any good because I essentially live in a Faraday cage and can't get cell phone reception inside.

It doesn't matter how good a company's products may be, or even have only one product in their line that is bad, when the companies like these pull shenanigans like LG's to avoid honoring their warranties, they do not deserve our business. I don't approve of Rossman's suggested "solution" of ordering an LG 'fridge with the intent of refusing delivery but he does point out a need to not do business with companies who put out known defective products and treat their customers poorly.

For those of you who don't like Rossmann (he does get rather "wound up" at times), Steve Lehto, a lawyer up in Minnesota has posted a similar video on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9g1Ks ... dG8gTEc%3D
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Yet another reason I won't buy LG products.

Post by vimes666 »

I have a 30+ year old LG microwave and it is still going strong, no smart stuff, no tricks. Unfortunately they are making crap nowadays..
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

vimes666 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:54 pm I have a 30+ year old LG microwave and it is still going strong, no smart stuff, no tricks. Unfortunately they are making crap nowadays..
That was the experience I had with GE Microwaves. The first one I had lasted over a decade but the one after it lasted only around half as long and the one after it lasted only two or three years. That's why I got the LG only to be disappointed by it (everything works except sensor cook; it also has a "cold" spot in the center).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

we have the very first Panasonic Inverter microwave released

works great, never an issue with it
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Post by TitForTat »

what comes to my mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiS27feX8o0

... just random :D

"toasters peaked in the 40s, microwaves in the 90s" :lol:
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:37 pm
vimes666 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:54 pm I have a 30+ year old LG microwave and it is still going strong, no smart stuff, no tricks. Unfortunately they are making crap nowadays..
That was the experience I had with GE Microwaves. The first one I had lasted over a decade but the one after it lasted only around half as long and the one after it lasted only two or three years. That's why I got the LG only to be disappointed by it (everything works except sensor cook; it also has a "cold" spot in the center).
Also what Maytag used to be. I'll never own another one. Since Maytag is owned by Whirlpool, I won't buy their crap either. Maytag does everything it can to avoid paying warranty claims. After 6 months and three main motherboards in our range, my appliance repair guy finally made a call to one of his contacts and forced the issue since they were giving me the run around. Now I'm having problems with the maytag microwave and the display not working. It's about to end up on the curb full of holes so there will be no doubt it is trash.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

TaterChip wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:24 am
Also what Maytag used to be. I'll never own another one
I had MayTag in our home back in the 70s, 80s, 90s.
moved from Arizona to Oklahoma and left them in the house, sad sad mistake.

I bought more MayTags in 2012 for the new house.
pieces of crap....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
HalfWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HalfWolf »

It's understandable that when companies fail to stand behind their products or treat customers unfairly, trust and loyalty can quickly erode. Louis Rossmann's video sheds light on important consumer rights and the need for accountability in the industry. While his suggestion may not be the best course of action, it underscores the importance of holding companies accountable for their actions. It's crucial for consumers to make informed choices and support businesses that prioritize quality and customer satisfaction.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I have an LG ultrawide monitor, 2560x1080, lovely monitor, but I'd never buy another LG monitor. It worked "out of the box" with a 4.4 kernel (LM18?) but had to jump through hoops (learning how to pull an EDID from a monitor, using xrandr) to get it to work at its native resolution with anything later. We also seem to have posts with issues on LG monitors more than any other make.

This is with the monitor connected to a thinkpad T430, oddly it works fine plugged into my thinkcentre M720Q. This is with both of them running LM21.3 with a 5.15 kernel.

You can imagine what LG's tech support is like, not sure they can even spell linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have a very old Samsung 30" wide monitor that I bought back around 2005
it uses the HMDI video cable or VGA or the 3 independent cables with RCA connectors ( gasp! )

on HDMI, it works just fine with a 20 year old Gateway desktop and LM21.3 Cinnamon.
Mint even knows what it is...
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

I'm running a 27" BenQ 2k monitor and Mint was only 1 of three distros that could make it work out of the box. The other two were POP and Manjaro. MX told me what I had attached, but never showed me a picture. This is why I say that Mint allowed me to Divorce Microsoft after 30+ years.

I never dreamed I would have so much trouble attaching an external. We have a large LG on the wall at our sticks and bricks. I've attached my win laptop to it, but haven't tried Linux yet.

Return to “Open Chat”