Mac OS vs Linux and Windows (rant)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Mac OS vs Linux and Windows (rant)

Post by MurphCID »

After we lost Luna, I decided to put a lot of photos of the dogs on a USB drive so the wife and kids could plug it in and scroll through. Well, I plugged it into the Spouse-Unit's mac, and there was no way to scroll through the images, you had to click on each one and open it in a separate window. How odd, so I ended up firing up the Galago Pro, and boom! Linux lets you click and scroll the images. Windows does the same. Why does Mac OS not allow this simple intuitive feature? I am sure that there is a secret Mac OS may with six key combinations, a sacrifice of a chicken at the dark of the moon while making invocations to Steve Jobs, but seriously what is wrong with opening an image, and then just clicking on the edge to move through the photos? Why make it so hard? Wow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mac OS vs Linux and Windows (rant)

Post by absque fenestris »

On the Mac, select the image folder and select all the images contained therein - then double-click on one of them.
Preview opens and you can navigate through the folder as desired using the mouse scroll wheel or the up and down arrow keys.

I had the same problem yesterday with a 27" iMac - the system is sh... but the monitor is excellent ...
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Post by TitForTat »

As a current Mac user (switched after years of Linux and Windows), I can agree of Mac OS being the worst OS there is (even worse than Windows!!!). No customizations and you are stuck in the way Apple want you to use YOUR computer. Not to mention the e-waste centric design of their product. I mean, build quality and the level of integration is just really good and unmatched. But using their OS is just making me mad 24/7. Everything is so inefficient. My loud speaker on my iPhone began to crack here and there for no reason. Apple: a repair of just the loud speaker would cost 430€ :evil: I paid 700€ for that iPhone 13 Mini in 2022 (so an absoluty good and recent phone). I dont want to even know what a repair of my Macbook Air M1 would cost, if anything simple would go wrong :evil:

On top. I thought ARM would be the next best thing (and it kinda is from a performance and battery life perspective). But man, most things are just available for x86. I cannot install VMs, cannot install many programs and/or games..

I am so glad when I finally sold that thing to return to Linux (Mint) as my main OS.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

LOL! My daughter just went through that, her front camera went out, and the Apple store told her $300+ dollars to fix it. We took it to MacTLC in San Antonio, and they checked it and told us it was not the front camera unit alone, her circuit board was fried. The phone had been "glitching" so that made sense. So she ended up with a new phone. Apple Mac OS drives me wild since the commands are so not Unix/Linux or reasonable. I know they add their "special sauce", but darn people locked down takes on a whole new meaning. Her Macbook Air M1 is in the shop as well, since it was doing odd things, but it got knocked off a table in the library at the university and hit the floor. It has AppleCare, so hopefully it will not be too horrid. For her stuff I always get Apple Care and it has paid off in the past.

Thank you for that work around, I will try it on her system, and see if it works. That is still a silly way to do something that should not be that complex though.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

my ASUS laptops have hit the floor more times than I can count, none of them bit the dirt.

with the exception of this one, the screen was open at 90 degrees when the dog's big swishy tail came by and sent it flying to the hardwood floor.... busted the case really bad, I posted about that when it happened.

I got some steel cover plates for 4x4 electrical utility boxes and some of that Gorilla glue and put it all back together again.... as you can see, it is still working just fine.... with the exception of the keyboard.....

I am using an external USB keyboard

there is a lot to be said for NVME and SSD drives, they take a Licking and keep on Ticking.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

When I was getting fed up with MS shenanigans, I briefly looked into tasting the fruit. I quickly learned that I might as well be shooting myself in the foot. They were even more locked down than win.

Now that I'm in the process of unlearning everything I knew about win, I'm happy with the direction that I took.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:49 am ...there is a lot to be said for NVME and SSD drives, they take a Licking and keep on Ticking.
I just wish they had offered the long term benefits of spinning drives.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I remember years ago I had a bunch of photos that my mother-in-law wanted a copy. I pulled the SD card out of my camera, put it in a USB adapter and plugged it into her Mac. We spent half an hour trying to figure out how to copy the files over.

I can do the same thing on Linux, Windows and Android. In each I can click on a folder icon, browse the files and easily copy files. It is intuitive and easy to figure out.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

TaterChip wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:05 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:49 am ...there is a lot to be said for NVME and SSD drives, they take a Licking and keep on Ticking.
I just wish they had offered the long term benefits of spinning drives.
knock on silicon, but I have never had one fail.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:46 pm knock on silicon, but I have never had one fail.
I've ran across 1 failed SSD unit , a intel Nuc from 2013, which had been used for 7-8 years before I salvaged it for my home lab.
(fairly early SSD tech, and no brand name drive..)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

ivar wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:18 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:46 pm knock on silicon, but I have never had one fail.
I've ran across 1 failed SSD unit , a intel Nuc from 2013, which had been used for 7-8 years before I salvaged it for my home lab.
(fairly early SSD tech, and no brand name drive..)
Out of over 60 SSDs I've have and had, only one has failed, my first one, a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro that went south shortly before its five year warranty ran out (I didn't bother with the warranty since I had outgrown it anyway).

I've had USB sticks and SD cards fail (they are also silicon).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

diyliberty wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:10 pmI remember years ago I had a bunch of photos that my mother-in-law wanted a copy. I pulled the SD card out of my camera, put it in a USB adapter and plugged it into her Mac. We spent half an hour trying to figure out how to copy the files over.
I had the opposite. He gave his Apple laptop a cup of tea. It actually wanted a cup of coffee... I suspect.

His mother had the same model Apple laptop so the storage card was moved over. A USB stick plugged into his mother's laptop with his storage card also mounted in it and nothing would come off. I could put a file onto the laptop but not get anything off to the USB stick.

So? I emailed the assignment, he desperately needed, to myself and then emailed it to him as he now had another Apple laptop which wouldn't take his card. The rest of his data went to a cloud storage I set up.

I'd set up the previous day a user with an SSD and Linux on her laptop (not an Apple), $50 for the 500GB SSD. For the same storage capacity (if it had been needed) for the Apple, $500.

Also, to get into the Apple, it has pentalobe screws meaning no one has that type of screwdriver.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:40 pm
diyliberty wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:10 pmI remember years ago I had a bunch of photos that my mother-in-law wanted a copy. I pulled the SD card out of my camera, put it in a USB adapter and plugged it into her Mac. We spent half an hour trying to figure out how to copy the files over.
I had the opposite. He gave his Apple laptop a cup of tea. It actually wanted a cup of coffee... I suspect.

His mother had the same model Apple laptop so the storage card was moved over. A USB stick plugged into his mother's laptop with his storage card also mounted in it and nothing would come off. I could put a file onto the laptop but not get anything off to the USB stick.

So? I emailed the assignment, he desperately needed, to myself and then emailed it to him as he now had another Apple laptop which wouldn't take his card. The rest of his data went to a cloud storage I set up.

I'd set up the previous day a user with an SSD and Linux on her laptop (not an Apple), $50 for the 500GB SSD. For the same storage capacity (if it had been needed) for the Apple, $500.

Also, to get into the Apple, it has pentalobe screws meaning no one has that type of screwdriver.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pentalobe+sc ... doa-p_1_16
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:40 pm ...Also, to get into the Apple, it has pentalobe screws meaning no one has that type of screwdriver.
Wanna bet? :wink:

This search I did on DuckDuckGo got a bunch of hits. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pentalobe+scr ... 4-1&ia=web Pretty much everyone and their dog sells them.

I've got a pretty good collection of odd size and type screwdrivers but, one of these days, I'm going to glom onto one of those i-Fixit tool kits.

BTW, I've never ran to any screw one of my Grabit screw extractors couldn't conquer. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Also in "icon view" you can not select more than one folder or document to copy, you have to change it to list view before you can select all to copy. How tedious.

Return to “Open Chat”