Nvidia Palmas drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
galeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Nvidia Palmas drivers

Post by galeforce »

Trying to find info on whether these are part of the Linux Mint system or they can be removed.
There are 100+ palmas related files.
There is no nVidia hardware on system.
"Digital commerce and finance require an honesty not evident in all humans and ignored by computers."
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nvidia Palmas drivers

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you search "linux palmas" you'll find that nvidia doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. Removing software you do not understand is a fabulous way to break the OS. ANd there are so many packages there, Linux is much more modular than Windows.

I don't have any problems with running a stripped down Linux but the right way to do that is to install from a Debian or UBuntu minimal iso and then add what you need.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

galeforce wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:00 pmThere are 100+ palmas related files.
What are these?

I did a search and found PALMASSW-LINUX: Linux Driver for PALMAS which indicates, "The Linux driver supports the PALMAS series of PMICs. The Linux driver supports communication through the I2C bus and interfaces with various sub-systems."

Why do you think that is related to graphics drivers (Nvidia or otherwise) for the Linux Mint operating system?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
galeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Post by galeforce »

@Hoser Rob - Not knowing what is on the system is always a concern. If I don't know I ask before removing in most cases.
Sometimes it's not so much stripping down the system but removing a nuisance.
Example: Rdate - incessant phoning home. Thank You

@SMG - Thank you
Opening one of the related xml files nVidia appeared to be prominent in the text, maybe there are other relationships in other related xml files.

General comment: It's mostly curiosity brought about by cruising through the file manager.
"Digital commerce and finance require an honesty not evident in all humans and ignored by computers."
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

galeforce wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:24 pm@SMG - Thank you
Opening one of the related xml files nVidia appeared to be prominent in the text, maybe there are other relationships in other related xml files.
I don't usually go searching through all the files on my computer (I don't consider that to be a good use of my time), but I did search for palmas. All I see are c files, header files, and .ko files. I don't see any xml files on my LM20.3 install.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
galeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Post by galeforce »

What initiated the curiosity was a search for palm devices, ipads and ipods.
The Palmas files showed up with the palm search.
Looking this morning and opening some of the header files with apparent relationship to nVidia and Texas Instruments (last dated 2013)
This is a desk top system running both Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon and Mate, both have similar set-ups.
There's no syncing of portable devices.
I'll have to get back on the xml but recalling the makeup it was the usual readable text at the beginning with reference to nVidia and the long list of information in other countries languages.

@SMG - you're right, no xml. Probably got it confused with some other search.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”