Linux mint boots twice

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
denisgsv
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint boots twice

Post by denisgsv »

Hello,

First of all thank you for existing, been finding solutions here for a lot of my issues and doubts.
Decided to see if i can maybe solve this problem too i couldn't pinpoint yet.

Current situation : only 1 OS linux mint cinnamon on a SSD drive.
When i start the pc, motherboard logo shows Asrock, then after 1 sec i would expect to go into loading linux , when i had windows thats what happened, but instead it seems to restart really quickly, all goes dark then motherboard logo appears again Asrock, and then linux mint loads.

It seems like its going through the process twice ? I do have selected in the settings the boot priority for it to be the hard disk with linux on it. So not really sure what could be the issue ? or how to trouble shoot it .

Thank you
TVB123
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint boots twice

Post by TVB123 »

I noticed the same. I'm curous as well why this is.
Which version did you install?
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I think I have the same issue with Asus boards. There was some discussion some time ago on this also. I think the answer was that the first bootup is the bios discovering / validating hardware - like memory settings ect... and then it reboots to the O/S. I was not aware that AsRock might be doing this also or that their might be a setting in bios to alleviate this.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
denisgsv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denisgsv »

TVB123 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:19 am I noticed the same. I'm curous as well why this is.
Which version did you install?

Latest one 21 i think ? At home will check for sure but should be 21 imho
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Looks innocent enough to me, but if it bothers you, you might want to make sure that your BIOS is upgraded to the latest version that Asus provides for your motherboard. It won't hurt, and perhaps it'll even "help".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
TVB123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TVB123 »

If it's a bios firmware issue, why can OpenSuse manage to boot normally (not twice)?
denisgsv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denisgsv »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:03 am Looks innocent enough to me, but if it bothers you, you might want to make sure that your BIOS is upgraded to the latest version that Asus provides for your motherboard. It won't hurt, and perhaps it'll even "help".

mine is actually asrock, i did upgrade it actually to latest. Its not a "huge problem" but i used to have quick boot and now is a bit slower was thinking maybe there was a easy fix.

What i noticed : 1 time i see asrock logo in middle and f2 f6 buttons in the lower right corner of the screen (showing how to enter bios)
on the 2 time its only asrock logo no more message in lower right corner :|
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

It begun to happen to me after new grub2 version was released several years ago. I'm still not sure if it is because logo image is still buffered when on grub menu and it is shown when start loading selected menuentry or because Plymouth delay on early stage /sys/firmware/acpi/bgrt/image is displayed or something in between... but sure it is not because it reboots or boots twice.

I agree with Pjotr, it is innocent enough and I gave it up.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”