oem patch for AMD Cpu - 7000 Series

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jopp-Lm
Level 2
Level 2

oem patch for AMD Cpu - 7000 Series

Post by Jopp-Lm »

Hi,

I get a list of errors on startup:

Code: Select all

hub 8-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)
this bug seems related to my AMD 7000 series cpu as discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=396321
At the bottom of the discussion, a user with name SMG wrote:
A 7000 series Ryzen needs to be using a 6 series kernel. You need to install in compatibility mode then boot in recovery mode and install the newer kernel. Please also make sure to run all the updates available in Update Manager so you also have the latest firmware packages. You can install the latest 6.1-oem kernel with
Unfortunately this description is far from clear, there are no clear steps to follow.
So I've to start from USB boot in compatibility mode and install linux-oem-22.04. But then I should switch to.. Recovery mode? Isn't Recovery mode when Mint crashes, how to get there? Sorry, this description is simply not clear, therefore I am asking here.

It sounds like linux-oem-22.04 is a simple install like anything else - if I follow https://linux-packages.com/ubuntu-jammy ... -oem-2204c and there's no warnig to reccommend some special procedure to install linux-oem-22.04 or to install from USB stick and sub-menus there.
Also, I found `linux-oem-22.04` in Mint Install manager too. Why would this package be there if you can install it without additional caution measures?

Btw, this bug would patch my cpu's integrated graphic chip - nothing necessary for me as I've a graphic card, but I just wanna have a better integration of my Hardware with Mint and 2nd, to clean up with startup bugs.
Therefore, installing linux-oem-22.04 normally should do it too, as said I don't rely on the integrated graphics chip of my cpu.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: oem patch for AMD Cpu - 7000 Series

Post by Pjotr »

As long as you have internet connection and are able to boot into the desktop, you can simply do this:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels
Install the latest kernel of the 6.5 series. Then reboot.

You might also do a fresh clean re-installation of Mint 21.3 by means of its Edge iso, which contains the 6.5.x kernel by default:
https://mirror.cs.jmu.edu/pub/linuxmint ... t-edge.iso
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Jopp-Lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jopp-Lm »

Thanks!
just strange, I installed Linux Mint Edge on my new rig and System Information in System Settings shows me this:

OS				Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Cinnamon-version		6.0.4
Linux Kernel			6.5.0-26-generic
So I didn't frame my issue the right way.
in Protocols, under Hardware:

hub 8-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)

kernel-device: +usb:8-0:1.0
prio: 3
there are two more Hardware errors with the same kernel device and priority value, but these 2 should not be related to my original issue above:

usb 1-3.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb 1-3.2: device not accepting address 6, error -71

kernel-device: c189:5
prio: 3
Last edited by Jopp-Lm on Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Let's check whether those boot errors are significant or not:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID19
(item 19)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Jopp-Lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jopp-Lm »

Alright, so my errors might be harmless ?
On Mac, I checked logs aswell but there I knew why my system printed these errors, with Mint all is new to me.
So, I'll keep this logs up for later in time. In my opinion a verbose log is more informative than a simplified log, it's ok. :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Jopp-Lm wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:43 pmthis bug seems related to my AMD 7000 series cpu as discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=396321
At the bottom of the discussion, a user with name SMG wrote:
A 7000 series Ryzen needs to be using a 6 series kernel. You need to install in compatibility mode then boot in recovery mode and install the newer kernel. Please also make sure to run all the updates available in Update Manager so you also have the latest firmware packages. You can install the latest 6.1-oem kernel with
Unfortunately this description is far from clear, there are no clear steps to follow.
That topic is nearly a year old. Please check the dates on posts and do not randomly follow directions which are that old.

Please check this topic on the Debian forum for more information about that message USB hub error: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)..

You have not provided your computer's system information, but check to see if you are using the most recent BIOS/UEFI for your motherboard.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Jopp-Lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jopp-Lm »

Well I am not new to Linux but to Mint yes.
I posted my question to get clarity what I shall do next as I don't do random stuff. About "old" is relative - as an ex-Mac user I felt pretty annoyed of the quick development pace of Apple products and their new features - politics in the last decade, this brought me to Linux. Old is relative, but yes, Os related components must be new, not like user applications which in most cases, isn't essential. Extra care is necessary for critical components.

Now I don't enjoy inspecting tecnical sutff of my pc, but yes, sometimes you just have to, as it's a good practice to care for a well working machine. I am definitely happy with Mint and have yet several issues to check off to optimize my experience. All in all, Mint works great so far.
Thanks for your link, will check it out.

Return to “Installation & Boot”