Can't go back to windows 10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RnT_Doom
Level 1
Level 1

Can't go back to windows 10

Post by RnT_Doom »

It's been a few days since i switched to Linux mint, my HP laptop was originally Windows 10.
Mint worked better than i thought the only problem is i can't use some programs on Linux cause they don't support it.
So i downloaded the win 10 iso and flashed my usb using ventoy, at the boot menu i get two options for my usb UEFI or Legacy.
when i choose the UEFI i get an error, when i choose legacy it works at first then i get a message telling me im missing drivers, so i download
intel rapid storage tech and it recognizes my drivers but gives an error after.
i tried so many ways im feeling drained for the past few days can anyone help me.
https://imgur.com/a/W72atRz
(here's the errors i talked about)
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't go back to windows 10

Post by Hawaiihemd »

So you want to reinstall windows?
Use this tool: https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB-ng
RnT_Doom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RnT_Doom »

Hawaiihemd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:37 am So you want to reinstall windows?
Use this tool: https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB-ng
I already did but it's the same result, i feel like BCD file got corrupted that's why im getting that error imma try and look for a way to fix it
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

With windows ISOs, for me, ventoy has been unreliable.

So I suggest you reinstall with an installation media created with woeUSB-ng. Probably less time consuming than trying to fix the issue at hand.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Whatever application you use, make sure you don't eject the USB stick before the iso is copied over. Copy progress bar is simply unreliable.
Run sync in a Terminal and wait for command prompt to reappear just to ensure that the write operation is complete.
@Hawaiihemd: this could have been the reason for your Ventoy failures.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

@MiZoG
Very good point in this context! I second the use of sync to ensure writing to the external media is complete.
Although, for me, that was not the issue as I am aware of that particular "problem".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Hawaiihemd wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:57 am @MiZoG
Very good point in this context! I second the use of sync to ensure writing to the external media is complete.
Although, for me, that was not the issue as I am aware of that particular "problem".
I use Disks to serve the Same Purpose.
you can tell it to "eject" the flashdrive, and watch the symbols, it will show you when it is safe to use the Power OFF tab...

in fact, you can click on Power Off, and Disks will NOT, eject the flashdrive, until Sync has finished.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Depending on what programs you want, Windows 10 runs fine as a Virtual Machine. I prefer VirtualBox. All you need is that W10 .iso, and W10 doesn't require a registered copy. Without registering, you lose the ability to set your desktop eye candy and get a nag for registering, but programs install and run normally.

If W10 is only needed for a few programs that aren't gpu intensive, running it in a VM is my preferred method.

Return to “Installation & Boot”