EA_NOT_FOUND error when running asus-fan-control

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Twanman1412
Level 1
Level 1

EA_NOT_FOUND error when running asus-fan-control

Post by Twanman1412 »

New user here,

Just switched to linux a few days ago and I am still trying to get used to it. I have an asus laptop (FX506LH-HN283T) and I was trying to install software to be able to control the fan speed. I had found a Github repository, https://github.com/dominiksalvet/asus-fan-control, with a program that should do just that.

However after installing the program and trying to run it, the terminal gives me an error.

Code: Select all

acpi call failed with 'Error: AE_NOT_FOUND'
I have found other forum posts talking about how this happens when they boot into linux, but I have not found any posts about this error appearing when running a program.

Any help is appreciated!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: EA_NOT_FOUND error when running asus-fan-control

Post by xenopeek »

AFAIK that means ACPI bug in the BIOS. Possibly a BIOS update can fix it but don't raise your hopes too much.

Maybe a kernel upgrade can help though again don't raise hopes. If you're using a 5.15 kernel try installing the 6.5 kernel. You can do so through Update Manager's View > Linux kernels menu. The 5.15 kernel will stay installed and in case of problems with the newer kernel you can through the GRUB boot menu still boot the older kernel.

Can you read fan speeds if you type sensors on the terminal?

I'm using a desktop with ASUS motherboard. I set the fan curves through the BIOS itself. Is that maybe possible with the laptop as well?

I came across another Linux tool for ASUS fan curve control, https://gitlab.com/asus-linux/asusctl. But there are a lot of hoops to jump through with that one: you'd need to compile it from source and it needs a newer kernel than is available on Linux Mint (you'd need to install a so called mainline kernel from Ubuntu).
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: EA_NOT_FOUND error when running asus-fan-control

Post by Hoser Rob »

I looked at that link in the OP. Your machine isn't on the list of hardware on which it's been tested and shown to work.

It also says:
Compatibility notes:

Devices with AMD processors do not work with AFC.
Devices with the 7th gen Intel processors work well.
Other devices may vary.
Intel 7th gen is Skylake/Kaby Lake, which came out in 2017 and is really barely a modern cpu.

Like all such programs I've looked at this looks very flaky to me. I'd contact the dev or try something else.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”