Thanks for the workaround. I have not tried it, because I just got it to work by changing the locale settings. But I'll try it if synaptic ever fails again. However, it now seems to me that it was the creation of these folders upon the first launch of Synaptic
that made it crash due to my locale & language settings.
What I just did, was to reset all locale settings to American English (both county and languages), keeping American English as preferred language #1. The reboot and launch synaptic, and for some strange reason it did not crash. Then I set all locale settings back to Norway/Norwegian Bokmaal, with American English as 2nd preferred language (fall-back?). Launching synaptic without any trouble, then rebooting and still no problems with synaptic. I don't know why this did not work last time I tried, maybe I had missed one setting necessary to change? Probably so. Anyway, opposite to what described here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/196661
, I've got a "Norwegian" system running with synaptic (and hence mintupdate) working.
After another few reboots Synaptic stopped working again... Do not understand why, and the work-around described above did not work either; running
now gives following on the command-line:
Code: Select all
(synaptic:2638): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(synaptic:2638): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
(synaptic:2638): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed