Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by Fred »

cedric and others,

KDE 4 is a work-in-progress. Be patient, it will get there. 4.1 was better than 4.0 and 4.2 is better than 4.1. :-)

If you want a mature KDE, as opposed to a cutting edge version, stick to KDE 3.5.10.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

cedric wrote:
KDE and Gnome are not using desktop the same way, so I've managed to have the compiz cube :
go to the compiz onfiguration manager
general option
desktop size, and for horizontal virtual size enter 4.
The cube works fine for me, on my little aasus eeebox 202 !
That fixed it, and was pretty well the last tweak I was waiting to solve. Thanks!

Bagheera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bagheera »

Why openoffice 2.4? we cant install oo3?

a note in favor... suspension to ram worked from cd live!!

and media work fine too.

aviynw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aviynw »

If you want to make compiz the default window manager you can change in kde settings under "default applications."

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux »

I installed this Mint6 RC last night and I must say, WOW!!! This is the most polished KDE4.2 of any distro I have tried. Opensuse 11.1, and Sabayonlinux4 which is what I had used for the last month. Sabayon was nice but KDE4.2 had some nagging crashes. Mainly with plasma, dolphin copying/moving files, and sound issues on startup not working but worked a few minutes after boot. I expect they will fix these soon since it is beta.

Anyways, Mint6...I haven't had any crashes or sound problems. I did have a little trouble with mounting my NAS. But after searching I just installed samba and all is good.

As far as this...
Bagheera wrote:Why openoffice 2.4? we cant install oo3?
I am not sure myself, but I just replied to this thread regarding installing OO3 in Mint6 Felicia. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a

I am hoping that someone will respond with answers to my questions. Because I believe installing that would change the beautiful Mint splash screen the devs have built in to Mint6 KDE.

Thanks again to the devs for getting this released! Still waiting for an official announcement :wink:

EDIT: What do I do about the "lock" icon at the bottom that flashes and says I have "232 Recommended software updates?" Are all of those for this Mint6 KDE RC?

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

WildSioux wrote: EDIT: What do I do about the "lock" icon at the bottom that flashes and says I have "232 Recommended software updates?" Are all of those for this Mint6 KDE RC?
Yes. Either click it and add all those updates

or

Open Synapic, click Reload, Click Mark All Upgrades, click Apply, click Apply on the new window that opens up.If you know all about Synaptic already, my apologies for restating the ovious.

Doundounba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Doundounba »

Hi all - first post on these forums!

I just wanted to say I'm very impressed wth LinuxMint and with the KDE-RC1 DVD that was recently made available. As I start searching for a KDE4 distro (currently my main machine is running Kubuntu 8.04.2), I've installed the regular LinuxMint on my laptop without any issues (other than it being Gnome, I mean), and I just booted this same machine from the KDE-RC1 DVD. As someone else noted in this thread, suspend to RAM worked from the liveDVD - that's impressive.

Problems so far:
- Couldn't get my wireless to function (though it works fine and automatically with regular LinuxMint-6 (driver is ipw2200)).
- If I change the default cursor to something else, the change is only partially done - the cursor changes back to its default image in some areas of the screen (eg in the Panel).
- I saw some rendering oddities, where some windows would sometimes only get partially rendered, as if the background image was covering part of the window.

I'm not sure whether the cursor and rendering issues are Mint's or just that even at 4.2, KDE is still a little rough around the edges... Any opinions? My laptop is a Dell 700m. I'd be willing to investigate the wireless issue further if someone could point me in the right direction.

Anyway, I skipped on Kubuntu 8.10 after being disappointed with early versions of KDE4. But now apps are starting to require it (e.g. Amarok2, Kdenlive), so I'm in the market. LinuxMint looks really good, so I'm tempted to switch. Color me impressed so far!

cedric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cedric »

Well I tried something else, and maybe this would make an advice for people that have old screen.

Since yesterday I had a old Hercules Prophetview 15" TFT screen (from 2001 ), when I made the install of kdemint6 I've noticed some strange things.

This afternoon, I've used my brand new 22" wide samsung on my eeebox202, and I've made a new fresh install ... and yes, things are working much better, plasma works nicely, and plasmoids too.

I'm surprised to see that mintkde4.2 works so fine with eeebox, only 300Mo Ram used, similar to the mint main edition ! But I think that the new kde desktop is really more pleasant to use.

Maybe it could be a good thing to advice people using old fashionned screen that they might have some problems with plasma ?

One bug I've noticed on my both installs, is that when I do "reboot the computer", it starts log off, but don't reboot at all, I have to switch off the computer manually, It's strange because when I click on shut down, it does it well.
For french speaking drummers : www.latoiledesbatteurs.com

big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Post by big_dog1968 »

aviynw wrote:And it doesn't look like the rc comes with support for google gadgets.
I was reading online about google gadget's integration with plasma and for it to work it looks like plasma has to be compiled with certain code from the "google-gadgets-for-linux" project (http://code.google.com/p/google-gadgets-for-linux/). Kubuntu didn't compile plasma with this code because it didn't have an adequate license. http://forum.kde.org/google-gadgets-in- ... 28883.html. I know Mint includes many things that ubuntu doesn't because of licenses, is there a reason whhy support for google gadgets wasn't included?

thanks for all the great work. :D.
First is it so that Google Gadgets don't work with Mint KDE? If so can this be fixed? Also, I read somewhere that Macintosh Widgets could work with KDE 4. Is this true?

If someone can tell me where to find additional KDE 4 widgets/plasmoids, that would also be appreciated.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If someone can tell me where to find additional KDE 4 widgets/plasmoids, that would also be appreciated.
I believe you can find lots of them here.

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcont ... cd1d8332e2

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

if you go to add widgets there is an option to install them which goes off to kde-look.org or kde-apps.org or you can look on your local box.
but I think more widgets are listed on the site than via the installer to the site.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

p10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by p10 »

Have been running RC1 on my Acer Aspire 7720 since Sunday night. It has been performing quite nice, and only a few small problems:
- Hybernate results in a freeze when I try to restart.
- There is a problem setting screen brightness. When I set the brightness something else changes it back to what it was before. Happens every time I close the lid, but can also happen during work. It is almost as if there is two power managers at work, and I only have access to one of them...?

arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Been running rc1 for a couple of days and it looks pretty stable. No crashes or anything, but not sure I am ever going to take to kde 4. Just loved 3.5 for years but this is a different animal.

The main problem on install was a complete failure to detect the monitor (a bog-standard 2 year old Benq LCD on bog-standard nvidia fx5200). It insisted on running at 800x600 with the vesa driver (no other options). At this resolution, I cannot even see the bottom of some of the dialogue boxes which means i can't select admin mode to make changes :?

I hate the new xorg which only shows everything as "auto configured" and no monitor section at all. This is hopeless if you need to change settings. It is fine for MS Windows which has NEVER failed me in detecting a monitor (no good for much beside :D mind you) but useless for linux where I nearly always have to make some changes to settings.

I finally got it working correctly by interrogating the Xorg log and constructing a new xorg.conf file with setttings extracted from the log. Fine for me but how on earth would a newbie do it? Is there an easier way for all this?

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@p10 check out or turn off the randr service.
it use to cause lots of screen flashing/resetting early on.

Boo

kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

My Felicia KDE RC sports the same problem I had with Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2; i.e., graphical corruption of the desktop when I launch Openoffice.org :(
The OOo window decorations flicker or disappear or corrupt, and the same happens everywhere I put the mouse pointer, bottom panel included; so, Ctrl+Shift+Bspace is necessary to have an usable desktop again.
If I do not launch anything OOo, the desktop is stable. :cry:
I have an nvidia 7600GS with proprietary drivers correctly installed, no Compiz but just the default kWin settings.

Since it happened exactly the same with KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu, it should be a known problem (but I didn't find anything about it)

big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Post by big_dog1968 »

exploder wrote:
I believe you can find lots of them here.

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcont ... cd1d8332e2
Is there a way to make the "Add Widgets" program point to that directory. When I try to use the add from web feature it points to a much smaller and less interesting list of widgets than your link had. I have tried following the directions to install the widgets, but it never works. Cmake gtells me I don't have a ...CXX compiler...blah, blah, blah...etc. and when I add a compiler, I get another unintelligible (to me as a novice) reason Cmake won't do it. The "Add Widgets" program on the other hand downloads and installs them flawlessly.

If someone could just tell me how to get it to point to this page (great Plasmoids there), or if you think you can make a Linux noob understand how to compile, and install the plasmoids, it would be appreciated. If you are going to try to instruct me in how to make Cmake work, please start with the assumption that I am an absolute caveman when it comes to Linux and Bash. Thanks.

arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Hmmmmmmm rc1 looked pretty good OOB but a few things I have tried to set up fell over:

1. Twinview with an nvidia card and right drivers works just fine with two monitors, but settings don't survive a reboot. After rebooting, I get only the primary monitor and the 2nd one is disabled. i can use nvidia-settings to reset it but goes again on the next reboot.

2. Can't set up a static ethernet setting with Network Settings as it has a bug (well written up by now). If you click on network settings it just says" Could not parse the xml file". I can set up a manual connection by editing interfaces file etc etc but resolv.conf (needed for my DNS) gets overwritten each reboot.

3. No sound with Skype - just says "Sound problem". I am working on that one. Soundblaster live card. Also dies in audacity after one recording with the mic (i.e can't make a second mic recording without closing and reopening audacity - just says "Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.)

Getting less happy by the minute :?

p10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by p10 »

Boo wrote:@p10 check out or turn off the randr service.
it use to cause lots of screen flashing/resetting early on.

Boo
Thanks for the tip Boo! Will be testing it out tomorrow!

I also notice that if I use the Dragon media player, and then try to use another media player afterwards there is no sound (system sounds are still there). A restart fixes the problem until the next time I use Dragonplayer.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

p10 wrote:
Boo wrote:@p10 check out or turn off the randr service.
it use to cause lots of screen flashing/resetting early on.Boo
@Boo: where do I turn it off from? I couldn't see anything in System Settings; I did find 2 libs installed looking at Synaptic. Should I delete one or both?

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

The RC1 has been relesed so please post bugs to the bug thread.

Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=22787

Boo

Return to “KDE”