Should I wait?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wrender
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Should I wait?

Postby wrender » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:13 pm

My mom's computer is all crapped up with windows xp and I had enough of it. So I planned to install linux on there.

I am trying to figure out whether I should just install kubuntu 9.10 or wait a little bit for Linux Mint KDE 8.

Cheers,

~Wren

ps. Is there a ball park guess to when they are aiming to release Mint KDE 8? say December , January?

User avatar
hinto
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Cary NC, USA

Re: Should I wait?

Postby hinto » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 pm

It all depends on what you want to do (and which platform)
In the x64 area, Mint only comes in Gnome and you install KDE (it looks like you want KDE from your post)
Also, in the x64 area, and (at least) AMD Phenomx4, I needed the 2.6.27 kernel or greater due to (I think) cpu frequencies although I think NVIDIA benefited there, too.

If you have a dual core, you should be fine.

What I did on my Phenom x4 pc, was install Mint 7, change jaunty to karmic in /etc/apt/sources.list and did a
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

I now have Mint 7 built on top of Karmic. Granted, this is Gnome, but I can install KDE. Also the KDE Mint is 32 bit only AFAIK.
I'd expect Mint 8 to have a similar upgrade path (as I look in to the past Mint releases) for it Mint additions to Karmic.

Hope this helps with your decision.

-H
"In God we trust, all others bring data."- W. Edwards Deming

wrender
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Should I wait?

Postby wrender » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:37 pm

32 bit is fine for her system....

wrender
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Should I wait?

Postby wrender » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:45 am

So is there a guess ... shot in the dark of the aim to release kde mint 8? January maybe? Im just trying to guess what I should do/tell my family member. :roll:

User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1886
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: Should I wait?

Postby lagagnon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:53 am

wrender wrote:So is there a guess ... shot in the dark of the aim to release kde mint 8?


"When it's ready" is the usual answer for that question.

User avatar
hinto
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Cary NC, USA

Re: Should I wait?

Postby hinto » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:32 am

There's really no need to wait as long as there is
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

You can install Mint 7 (The 32 bit KDE Version since you want the 32 bits) and when Mint 8 is ready, you can upgrade
to that. There are usually directions on how to perform the upgrade on the Mint website.

-H
"In God we trust, all others bring data."- W. Edwards Deming

User avatar
AfterEight
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:07 pm
Location: Drinking the 'Water of Life' Scotland

Re: Should I wait?

Postby AfterEight » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:47 pm

wrender wrote:So is there a guess ... shot in the dark of the aim to release kde mint 8? January maybe? Im just trying to guess what I should do/tell my family member. :roll:


Hi wrender,

The RC1 of Linux Mint 8 has just been uploaded here . . . http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/

The KDE version is usually released a few weeks after the stable version has been upped.
Hope this helps.

AfterEight
Image
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra ----+---- Dathon and Picard at El-Adrel IV
Registered as user #474278 with the Linux Counter

kanishka
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:59 am

Re: Should I wait?

Postby kanishka » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:56 am

AfterEight wrote:The RC1 of Linux Mint 8 has just been uploaded here . . . http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/

AfterEight

GRAB!

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wrender
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Should I wait?

Postby wrender » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks! I'll have to check it out tonight...

stalonge
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Should I wait?

Postby stalonge » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 am

Thats great , i test here , and all seems fine .. ( Its very similar to Gloria )

Great job , devs

:D :D


Return to “KDE”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests