Can't disable nouveau

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
condowax
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Can't disable nouveau

Post by condowax » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:03 pm

I've been trying to prevent the nouveau module from loading at boot in order to install the Nvidia driver manually, but no matter what I try, the module is always loaded. I've tried blacklisting it, removing it from synaptic, even deleting the module and still every time I boot it says the module is in use. Is there a way to disable this module form loading?

User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by rec9140 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm

condowax wrote:I've been trying to prevent the nouveau module from loading at boot in order to install the Nvidia driver manually, but no matter what I try, the module is always loaded. I've tried blacklisting it, removing it from synaptic, even deleting the module and still every time I boot it says the module is in use. Is there a way to disable this module form loading?
Best guess based on your post... you need to update initramfs as well......

See:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/X/Troubleshooting/Nouveau

specifically :

Code: Select all

sudo update-initramfs -u
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

condowax
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by condowax » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 pm

@rec9140
Updating initramfs didn't seem to make difference.

However I did manage to solve this little problem. Apparently in Mint 9 KDE blacklisting the nouveau driver makes no difference and it is still loaded anyways (I don't know if it is the same for Kubuntu). This is a problem since I couldn't install the Nvidia official driver because having nouveau enabled would cause my computer to boot into low graphics mode. I was finally able to disable nouveau by adding something to the kernel line in grub configuration.

Code: Select all

nouveau.blacklist=1
By adding this nouveau is disable from loading from the beginning and this solved my issue. After doing this I was able to successfully install the Nvidia official driver and have full 3D effects. However I did encounter a little problem, but was easily fixed. It is a known problem that after installing the Nvidia driver when botting the splash screen will have the wrong resolution. The fix for this is very simple, going to start-up manager and setting the right resolution and color depth to 24 fixes it. The problem is that when you do this the added nouveau.blacklist=1 is removed from the kernel line in the grub configuration file so next time he computer is booted it will go into low graphics mode. The fix obviously is to add that part again after setting the splash resolution.

My system is now fully functional and I no longer get the low graphics mode problem. The only problem I can't solve, which is quite minor, is that now instead of getting the beautiful mint logo on the splash I just get something that says Linux Mint 9. This problem is purely aesthetic but if anyone knows how I can fix this, help would be appreciated.

I hope this helps anyone encountering the same issues I've had with the Nvidia driver.

champ2087
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:37 am

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by champ2087 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm

@ condowax

do you think you could give a brief step-by-step for your fix? I am new to linux and not sure how or where to edit the grub configuration.

condowax
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by condowax » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 pm

@champ2087

To edit the grub config file just open the terminal and type this:

Code: Select all

sudo kate /boot/grub/grub.cfg
This should open kate with the configuration file. Now go down until you find the configuration for each entry. It looks something like this

Code: Select all

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry "Linux Mint 9, 2.6.32-23-generic (/dev/sda6)" --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	recordfail
	insmod ext2
	set root='(hd0,6)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c2a2b2f4-8172-4b52-b4f2-1fe008b109e5
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-23-generic root=UUID=c2a2b2f4-8172-4b52-b4f2-1fe008b109e5 ro  vga=799  quiet splash
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-23-generic
}
It may look different depending on your set-up. Look for the one you boot into (usually the first one) and at the end of the line the starts "linux /boot/vmlinuz...." add the following

Code: Select all

nouveau.blacklist=1
It should end up looking like this

Code: Select all

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry "Linux Mint 9, 2.6.32-23-generic (/dev/sda6)" --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	recordfail
	insmod ext2
	set root='(hd0,6)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c2a2b2f4-8172-4b52-b4f2-1fe008b109e5
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-23-generic root=UUID=c2a2b2f4-8172-4b52-b4f2-1fe008b109e5 ro  vga=799  quiet splash nouveau.blacklist=1
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-23-generic
}
Then save and nouveau should be blacklisted! Remember that if you install the Nvidia driver and try to fix the splash using the method suggested in the release notes you have to add the nouveau.blacklist=1 again because it is deleted.

EDIT:

As Raffle 10 pointed out there is a proper way of doing this:
The correct method is to add nouveau.blacklist=1 to /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.blacklist=1"

Then:

Code: Select all

 sudo update-grub2
Last edited by condowax on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raffles10
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by Raffles10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:09 am

That's the trouble with editing grub.cfg it get re-written every time you run update-grub that's why you should never edit that file directly amendments should go in /etc/default/grub or /etc/grub.d/* then update grub to generate a config file that will always maintain your amendments.

The correct method is to add nouveau.blacklist=1 to /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.blacklist=1"

Then:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub2
Having to blacklist nouveau to install nvidia is a PITA anyway and it isn't necessary in Kubuntu 10.04 which Mint 9 KDE is based on.

condowax
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by condowax » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

@Raffles 10

I knew there was a proper way to do it but I'm still thinking like the old grub days :lol:

I don't know it the problem is specific to my card but in the Gnome version of Mint I could just install the driver and it worked, but in the KDE version if I didn't blacklist nouveau it wouldn't work. I haven't tried Kubuntu, just Mint KDE, so I don't know if this bug is specific to mint.

User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by rec9140 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 am

Raffles10 wrote:Having to blacklist nouveau to install nvidia is a PITA anyway and it isn't necessary in Kubuntu 10.04 which Mint 9 KDE is based on.
The issue is the changes that upstream is making and this causing issues with removing.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/ProprietaryDr ... provements

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/u ... ry-drivers

These changes effect KMint as a derivative.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Raffles10
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by Raffles10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 pm

rec9140 wrote:
Raffles10 wrote:Having to blacklist nouveau to install nvidia is a PITA anyway and it isn't necessary in Kubuntu 10.04 which Mint 9 KDE is based on.
The issue is the changes that upstream is making and this causing issues with removing.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/ProprietaryDr ... provements

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/u ... ry-drivers

These changes effect KMint as a derivative.
The point I was making was that in Kubuntu 10.04 the recommended nvidia driver (195.36.24) installs and works perfectly and there is no need to install nvidia manually. As Mint 9 KDE is based on Kubuntu 10.04 I wonder what the Mint devs have done to so completely balls up support for nvidia 195.36.24. :roll:

User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by viking777 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:17 pm

It works on Gnome and Fluxbox.

KDE4 = Kant Do Enything 4 the life of me.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Raffles10
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by Raffles10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

viking777 wrote:It works on Gnome and Fluxbox.

KDE4 = Kant Do Enything 4 the life of me.
Correction:

Linux Mint KDE4 = Kant Do Enything 4 the life of me

User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by rec9140 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Raffles10 wrote:Linux Mint KDE4 = Kant Do Enything 4 the life of me
KMint is NOT the problem.... KDE4.x IS starting with the lead "developer" asegio. :evil: :twisted: is!

KMint does a WONDERFUL job of cleaning up the mess that is foisted upon them by their source(s)....some is beyond their control.

It all seems to be hit or miss on what happens when you install the OEM Drivers v. the other various drivers. You were lucky it worked. Others it doesn't and by my count of experiences its trending more to BORQ'd v. work.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Raffles10
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by Raffles10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:24 pm

rec9140 wrote:
Raffles10 wrote:Linux Mint KDE4 = Kant Do Enything 4 the life of me
KMint is NOT the problem.... KDE4.x IS starting with the lead "developer" asegio. :evil: :twisted: is!

KMint does a WONDERFUL job of cleaning up the mess that is foisted upon them by their source(s)....some is beyond their control.

It all seems to be hit or miss on what happens when you install the OEM Drivers v. the other various drivers. You were lucky it worked. Others it doesn't and by my count of experiences its trending more to BORQ'd v. work.
This is just plain wrong.

I've installed various nvidia driver versions on different KDE4 based systems: Debian, Sidux, Suse, Mandriva, Kubuntu. I've encountered no problems except with Mint 9 KDE. Blaming everything on upstream is a cop out. Mint have made a complete mess out of something that worked for everyone: installing the recommended driver as provided in the Ubuntu repo' via jockey.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It wasn't broke 'til Mint fixed it.

Nicekiwi9
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by Nicekiwi9 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:27 am

Ok seriously what the hell, I have tried all the info in this thread and all the sugesstions on google I could find, nouveau still won't just bloody die. So infuriating. Please help!!

User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by rec9140 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 am

Raffles10 wrote:This is just plain wrong.

I've installed various nvidia driver versions on different KDE4 based systems: Debian, Sidux, Suse, Mandriva, Kubuntu. I've encountered no problems except with Mint 9 KDE. Blaming everything on upstream is a cop out. Mint have made a complete mess out of something that worked for everyone: installing the recommended driver as provided in the Ubuntu repo' via jockey.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It wasn't broke 'til Mint fixed it.
No... actually if you were to bother to do some research on other sites you will see that others using plain *buntus ARE HAVING the SAME ISSUE.

Its an upstream issue.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Raffles10
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by Raffles10 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:55 pm

rec9140 wrote:
Raffles10 wrote:This is just plain wrong.

I've installed various nvidia driver versions on different KDE4 based systems: Debian, Sidux, Suse, Mandriva, Kubuntu. I've encountered no problems except with Mint 9 KDE. Blaming everything on upstream is a cop out. Mint have made a complete mess out of something that worked for everyone: installing the recommended driver as provided in the Ubuntu repo' via jockey.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It wasn't broke 'til Mint fixed it.
No... actually if you were to bother to do some research on other sites you will see that others using plain *buntus ARE HAVING the SAME ISSUE.

Its an upstream issue.
Either you don't understand what you're talking about or you're incredibly stupid.

There is no issue with installing the current recommended nvidia driver in the Ubuntu repo's with any *buntu distro except Mint KDE.

Mint 9 KDE 64 is the only *buntu that will not accept the current recommended nvidia driver from the repo'.

Is that clear enough ?

This is a seperate issue to installing nvidia drivers manually from nvidia's website.

User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by rec9140 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Raffles10 wrote:Either you don't understand what you're talking about or you're incredibly stupid.

There is no issue with installing the current recommended nvidia driver in the Ubuntu repo's with any *buntu distro except Mint KDE.

Mint 9 KDE 64 is the only *buntu that will not accept the current recommended nvidia driver from the repo'.
I've investigated the situation. I've posted other places with the same issues on NON Mint. Your incorrect.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

condowax
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by condowax » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:37 pm

@rec9140

I don't know if it is specific to mint, but the people who were having similar issues on other *buntus fixed it by just adding nouveau in the blacklisted modules. This solution didn't work in mint, the blacklist has to be done in grub.

@Nicekiwi9

Maybe you could try before boot, when grub appears, to edit the kernel line before boot. I think its Ctrl-C to edit the grub entry or something like that it says at the bottom.

User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by rec9140 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:10 pm

condowax wrote:I don't know if it is specific to mint, but the people who were having similar issues on other *buntus fixed it by just adding nouveau in the blacklisted modules. This solution didn't work in mint, the blacklist has to be done in grub.
I've seen a LOT of resolutions to this in varying ways, and it is NOT specific to KMint, its is a *buntu issue in general... There is a larger bug at work here.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Nicekiwi9
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Can't disable nouveau

Post by Nicekiwi9 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:17 pm

condowax wrote:@Nicekiwi9

Maybe you could try before boot, when grub appears, to edit the kernel line before boot. I think its Ctrl-C to edit the grub entry or something like that it says at the bottom.
Ok, I tried that. added

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub2
to the grub boot cmdline, booted into recovery mode to user console and succesfully installed Nvidia, used

Code: Select all

startx
and booted, flash of Nivida and I'm in. Messed with Compositing effects YUS! <3, then tested it if still worked after a reset.

It diden't. Tried with the grub cmdline etc (on normal boot, not recovery mode but tried that too later) just incase but it just brings up that ubuntu warning box saying Nivida kernel not found, checked some more and it also says kernel found but no screens found etc etc.

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C video

Code: Select all

  *-display               
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: NVS 3100M
       vendor: nVidia Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a2
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
       resources: irq:16 memory:cc000000-ccffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) memory:ce000000-cfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:2000(size=128) memory:cd000000-cd07ffff(prefetchable)
=( How do I keep it working!!!!? :cry:

Post Reply

Return to “KDE”