Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
thetall82
Level 1
Level 1

M10 KDE NetworkManager saves connection but doesnt show it

Post by thetall82 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:34 am

Hi,
I searched the forums but wasn't able to find a post for this specific issue. I think it's KDE releated because (1) on Mint 10 gnome I can connect to the internet smoothly, (2) I had similar issues with other recent KDE distros, like Chakra 2011.02, OpenSUSE 11.4, Pardus 2011 (unsolved).

After installing Mint 10 KDE on my desktop pc (it's 3 years old and the ethernet card alsways worked with many different distros) I opened the networkManager, saw it recognized my ethernet interface,clicked "edit connections" and created a new DSL connection, typing in the service name, username and password. That's the same and only data I typed into Mint 10 main edition networkManager.

I save the connection and it's stored correctly, I can see it in the "DSL" tab of the manager.
But then, when I close that dialog window and click the networkManager icon again, I can't see my DSL connection listed. And so I don't know how to connect to the internet.

What's the problem? Any ideas on what should I try?

Thanks in advance for any help

- thetall82 -

vaxxipooh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: M10 KDE NetworkManager saves connection but doesnt show

Post by vaxxipooh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:03 am

thetall82 wrote:Hi,
I searched the forums but wasn't able to find a post for this specific issue. I think it's KDE releated because (1) on Mint 10 gnome I can connect to the internet smoothly, (2) I had similar issues with other recent KDE distros, like Chakra 2011.02, OpenSUSE 11.4, Pardus 2011 (unsolved).

After installing Mint 10 KDE on my desktop pc (it's 3 years old and the ethernet card alsways worked with many different distros) I opened the networkManager, saw it recognized my ethernet interface,clicked "edit connections" and created a new DSL connection, typing in the service name, username and password. That's the same and only data I typed into Mint 10 main edition networkManager.

I save the connection and it's stored correctly, I can see it in the "DSL" tab of the manager.
But then, when I close that dialog window and click the networkManager icon again, I can't see my DSL connection listed. And so I don't know how to connect to the internet.

What's the problem? Any ideas on what should I try?

Thanks in advance for any help

- thetall82 -
Hi there

I have problems as well with Networmanager - i have an static IP and i cant set my network settings system wide (if i logout user network goes down) KDE Networkmanager seem's to be just crap ..
However i now set my static IP with ifconfig like this little example bash script:

#!/bin/bash
ifconfig eth0 111.222.333.444 up netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 111.222.333.1 dev eth0
echo "nameserver 111.222.333.000" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 111.222.333.222" >> /etc/resolv.conf

i then name it to my_network.sh and call it from /etc/rc.local so i have network up on boot

However i think its possible to do likewise sort of the same with your DSL connection .. just head forward and read on this:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/configure.html

Hope you get it working ..
~.: Vaxxipooh :.~
Gunnarn, Sweden
http://kahli.dmz.se

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy ...

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:20 pm

vaxxipooh wrote:I have problems as well with Networmanager - i have an static IP and i cant set my network settings system wide (if i logout user network goes down) KDE Networkmanager seem's to be just crap ...
For what ever reason the "System Connection" can not be enabled as you need "root" access to do this, even logged in as root and starting an X session does not activate this...option and theres no "Administrator" mode ala the KDE 3.5.x setup....

Its either not complete via the GUI or it has to be set via CLI?

"Upon further review...... " :D

What needs to be done is to edit a file in:

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/

To have what needs to be started up here.

Appears the GUI lacks this ability, and I've not found any man pages for it yet.....
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:34 pm

vaxxipooh wrote:
thetall82 wrote: What's the problem? Any ideas on what should I try?
Hope you get it working ..
Well some more info:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204340

ok... looks like there needs to be a file called:

Code: Select all

System eth0
With your info:

EXAMPLE:

Code: Select all

[connection]
id=System eth0
uuid=91600xxx-0000-0000-0000-000039000xxx
type=802-3-ethernet
autoconnect=true
timestamp=0

[802-3-ethernet]
speed=0
auto-negotiate=true
mtu=0

[ipv4]
method=manual
address1=192.168.0.46;255.255.255.0;192.168.0.1
dns=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
dns-search=domain.com
ignore-auto-routes=false
ignore-auto-dns=false

You need to create this as root with vi, nano or something... I am not sure on the specifics yet... I am working on it...

&*@!$(*$^!)(&*^)$(!@*&$)_!@($& !_@$ ! KDE 4.6.x :evil:

kartooso77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kartooso77 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:41 am

Hi, I share the exact same problem and I have faced the same issue whit all those distro's that you have named above.
I have a feeling that this is somehow related to kwallet. In earlier versions of KDE while establishing a DSL connection kwallet would come up and as for providing a password, I would usually leave it blank and then the connection would be established.
In KDE 4.6 the kwallet does not come up, or dose it I don't remember !! I'm pretty sure this is a known bug. I have gone back to LM9 KDE which works like a charm. I'll keep checking up on this and get back to you if I get a solution anywhere. :?:

thetall82
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thetall82 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 am

Hi

I also installed on KDE wicd 1.7 (downloaded the files and dependencies required from packages.ubuntu.com using my mint 10 gnome partition. But I can't figure out how to set up a DSL connection with it :-\

I was also thinking of installing gnome networkmanager but i cant use synaptic from the kde installation so that would be a nightmare do downloads and install all the required libraries manually.

Maybe the simplest thing to do is going back to kde 4.5, if this issue is kde 4.6 releated and is not going to be fixed soon.

Any idea?

Thank you
-thetall82-

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 am

thetall82 wrote: this issue is kde 4.6 releated and is not going to be fixed soon.

Any idea?
Based on what I've fleshed out this is a HUGE BUG that exists in NM, or more aptly, an INCOMPLETE...

As what its supposed to do and and what it does... are not in sync yet. From what I've found even if the file was present in system it still would not do anything with it.

Seems KDE devs are too busy with spinny wobbly v. function... :evil:

Since I can control the DHCP server in my instances where I need a static IP assigned I can set it so they get the same IP's each time, thus all the port forwards for VNC, mySQL, and SSH still work

I think this is an upstream issue that Mint needs to address and fix... till upstream can break away from the spiny wobly flavorade (YES ITS A BIG SORE POINT!)

vaxxipooh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vaxxipooh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm

thetall82 wrote:Hi

I also installed on KDE wicd 1.7 (downloaded the files and dependencies required from packages.ubuntu.com using my mint 10 gnome partition. But I can't figure out how to set up a DSL connection with it :-\

I was also thinking of installing gnome networkmanager but i cant use synaptic from the kde installation so that would be a nightmare do downloads and install all the required libraries manually.

Maybe the simplest thing to do is going back to kde 4.5, if this issue is kde 4.6 releated and is not going to be fixed soon.

Any idea?

Thank you
-thetall82-
Hi there
i think synaptic is installed by default in Linux Mint 10 KDE .. i have it and got it when i installed . . open an terminal and try: sudo synaptic

and as well take a look here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3104329.0

Have it nice
Gunnarn, Sweden

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:35 am

How do you get the kdewallet to stop asking for your password at startup to enter wifi? I checked "connect automatically" in the Network Connections.

I do notice there is no "Apply to All Users" as I think earlier version had.
Chakra Linux

thetall82
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thetall82 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 am

vaxxipooh wrote:
Hi there
i think synaptic is installed by default in Linux Mint 10 KDE .. i have it and got it when i installed . . open an terminal and try: sudo synaptic

and as well take a look here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3104329.0

Have it nice
Hi and thanks for your reply. Sorry, I didn't explain it very well, I meant I have no connection on my KDE installation (it's on a separated partition), so synaptic IS installed BUT it couldn't downlod the required dependencies from the web.

Thanks for the tutorial link, I'll look into it.
Anyway it's a shame that such a popular environment as KDE releases a final version with this huge bug! :-\
I'm trying KDE4 for the first time since it's regression from KDE3 in 2008 but I see they still have a lot to work to rech the quality they had with the previous major branch.

-thetall82-

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:19 am

mintnoob wrote:How do you get the kdewallet to stop asking for your password at startup to enter wifi? I checked "connect automatically" in the Network Connections.
You need to go into the option where it stores the passwords in an encrypted file and change to a plain text file. INSECURE!! !!

This will then not ask for the KWallet password but again is INSECURE!

Manage Connections, then Other then Connection Secrets , change to Plaint text file... INSECURE!

vaxxipooh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vaxxipooh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:28 pm

thetall82 wrote:
vaxxipooh wrote:
Thanks for the tutorial link, I'll look into it.
Anyway it's a shame that such a popular environment as KDE releases a final version with this huge bug! :-\
I'm trying KDE4 for the first time since it's regression from KDE3 in 2008 but I see they still have a lot to work to rech the quality they had with the previous major branch.

-thetall82-
Hi again ...

what about pppoeconf .. arent there a possibility to set up DSL from there ?

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Con ... _DSL_Modem
Gunnarn, Sweden

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm

thetall82 wrote:I'm trying KDE4 for the first time since it's regression from KDE3 in 2008 but I see they still have a lot to work to rech the quality they had with the previous major branch.
I like that... I really like that... "...it's regression from KDE3...." :D :P

As the resident and King KDE4.x basher.. I will be the first to admit that KDE 4.6.0 has cleaned up a lot of the problems... still lots of things I am not happy with and will never be corrected.... its made it to my 2 test machines and is being burned in on my main desktop for work and home... which no version of KDE4.x (NOT REFLECTIVE OF KMINT! THIS IS A KDE4.x situation only) has made it this far before...theres still some testing and a couple little niglets that are on the border of killing the deal....but I am willing to test it out some more...I am still keeping my eye on the REAL KDE aka Trinity ...

This issue with static IP's and being reachable at boot needs to be resolved ... fortunately for me I am in control of all the DHCP servers at work and can work around this by assignments.

thetall82
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thetall82 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:21 am

Yesterday I tried to use the pppoeconfig s explained from here: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Con ... _DSL_Modem on my KMint 10 installation, but it didnt work :( Same hardware, boot on my Mint 10 Gnome installation, everything works smoothly.

I'll have a try with other distros, maybe Mepis 11 RC and Kubuntu 11.04 beta, if it does not work, bye bye KDE Sh1tCompilation 4, I'll switch back to Gnome or Xfce.

Thanks in any case to all of you for the kind help :)

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:24 am

thetall82 wrote:I'll have a try with other distros, maybe Mepis 11 RC and Kubuntu 11.04 beta, if it does not work, bye bye KDE Sh1tCompilation 4, I'll switch back to G[censored diseased] or Xfce.

Well if any of those use the networkmanager (which as far as I remember they all do) v. some of the other network managers, you will have no change. The issue is KNetworkManager and its incomplete features, but shipped it any way...

vaxxipooh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vaxxipooh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 am

thetall82 wrote:Yesterday I tried to use the pppoeconfig s explained from here: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Con ... _DSL_Modem on my KMint 10 installation, but it didnt work :( Same hardware, boot on my Mint 10 Gnome installation, everything works smoothly.

I'll have a try with other distros, maybe Mepis 11 RC and Kubuntu 11.04 beta, if it does not work, bye bye KDE Sh1tCompilation 4, I'll switch back to Gnome or Xfce.

Well uninstall KNetworkmanager and install gnome-network-applet - i have seen ppl success that way ...
Gunnarn, Sweden

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:25 pm

I had issues with all the KDE 4.xxx no connection problems too. It WAS KDE wallet. You have to go into system settings and enable KDE Wallet. Once you do, then setup a password for it. Once you try to connect it will ask again for that password. Enter it and then connect. I also had to go into network settings and enable it for all users and when KDE wallet popped up the first time I had to tell it to ALWAYS do whatever action it was (cannot recall, but it had 4 choices). Once I did all that [crap] then it finally worked ok. Huge pain and something a newb would never figure out on their own (and should never be expected to!). Seems if you just click through KDE wallet and don't enable it, nothing will work, at least on my systems, to connect. It just acted like there was no connection.

To me this is a bug, a defect, a whatever...but is not at all clearly defined for any user and it is in no way intuitive enough to just figure out if you're also trying to figure out how your new distro works. I hate to see something like this that could drive new users away thinking the whole OS is no good, when in actuality it's just that the KDE devs setup wireless in such a way as to make it obscure and confusing. Gnome network manager is probably a good workaround, or wicd, but the problem remains for any new user.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

TBABill wrote:I had issues with all the KDE 4.xxx no connection problems too. It WAS KDE wallet. You have to go into system settings and enable KDE Wallet. Once you do, then setup a password for it. Once you try to connect it will ask again for that password. Enter it and then connect. I also had to go into network settings and enable it for all users and when KDE wallet popped up the first time I had to tell it to ALWAYS do whatever action it was (cannot recall, but it had 4 choices). Once I did all that [crap] then it finally worked ok. Huge pain and something a newb would never figure out on their own (and should never be expected to!). Seems if you just click through KDE wallet and don't enable it, nothing will work, at least on my systems, to connect. It just acted like there was no connection.
If this is for wireless systems then you need to change the way its storing the passwords for WEP/WPA connections.

Manage connections | Other | Connection Secrets

change Store Connection Secrets to : PLAIN TEXT

************NOTICE INSECURE! !*********************** I strongly suggest against this..............

Then it will not ask for KDE Wallet password to open KDE Wallet. If you set this to start, it probably will not use KDE Wallet either, but again I like KDE Wallet others seem to rail against it....
TBABill wrote:To me this is a bug, a defect, a whatever...but is not at all clearly defined for any user and it is in no way intuitive enough to just figure out if you're also trying to figure out how your new distro works. I hate to see something like this that could drive new users away thinking the whole OS is no good, when in actuality it's just that the KDE devs setup wireless in such a way as to make it obscure and confusing.[censoreds] is probably a good workaround, or wicd, but the problem remains for any new user.
That is your choice... I personally like the security... ... KDE 3.x handled this better .. but its a regression for "shiny new" that is "won't fix. works as designed" for the KDE 4.x bunch.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:27 pm

I like the security too and always enable it. However, a new user may not understand or figure out the relationship KDE Wallet has to getting online, or what happens if you do not enable it at all. It's a sore spot that needs some tweaking because right now a user who decides to try KDE as their DE will likely be confused and probably unable to get online at all unless they populate each screen correctly along the way. Any mis-step due to a lack of understanding will render their experience less than ideal without a clue where it went wrong.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:40 pm

TBABill wrote:However, a new user may not understand or figure out the relationship KDE Wallet has to getting online, or what happens if you do not enable it at all. It's a sore spot that needs some tweaking because right now a user who decides to try KDE as their DE will likely be confused and probably unable to get online at all unless they populate each screen correctly along the way. Any mis-step due to a lack of understanding will render their experience less than ideal without a clue where it went wrong.
OK... hmmm..... what method would be possible to communicate this? And where ? I've got an idea... but it will never happen, unless KMint is going to do that on its own..... so for discussion... lets play this out.... Janey Newby comes along and ....

If she boots up... with only a wireless connection available your not going to be connected the first time....so you click on the network manager click on wireless to see the wireless networks... click on your chosen network.. it brings up the connection menu for that connection ...

At this point if the option that is the default, store encrypted, is set and you have not setup KDE wallet your going to be requested to do this, set up a password enter it twice, then do the config for the network, save the pass, confirm you want to give KDE Wallet access.. etc..

How do you handle the newby? The newby on the future boot ups? ? This is where KDE3.5.x got this right, but regressed in KDE4.x no ifs/buts about it..... but.. what should be happening here? ? ?

The next scenario...thats out there is the faction that, they install, and go and start tweaking the setup... this faction turns off KDE Wallet (this faction would like to see KDE Wallet removed from KMint, KDE, and the planet, universe, galaxy and the like), but doesn't change that "store connection secret" option..... and I've not tried this, but I am guessing that you've now probably set your self up for a run into a brick wall that the wireless network will not connect as it can't create an encrypted file to store the WEP/WPA sutff....

Again this is for discussion... how do you deal with these 2 scenarios... ?? I can think of a couple and it requires KMint dev involvement for one, and a few other ways... well not going to happen... it won't happen in KDE4.x nor would it happen in KDE3.5.x or likely to happen in Linux, of any distro... its just way too "hand holdy" for Linux, and I have to agree. There is some learning required regardless of the OS, yes Linux has a higher bar in some things, no dispute there, and yes in a lot of ways things could be done to lower that bar and lessen the learning curve, and I don't disagree.. I am all for making things as useable as possible but theres a fine line between ease of use and out right mind reading the users intentions, which I know most think the computer should know what they want it do from "mindless clicking" on anything...and it applies to more than just connecting to wireless..I deal with " ... but the computer should know that when I clicked there it should do x,y,z!" Ok.. Judy... Elroy will now park the flying car too.... :P :mrgreen:

So I am interested to see where you go with this... so for the KMint X-Prize money... how do you solve this? :mrgreen:

Return to “KDE”