Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
newbie_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Wifi and Kwallet

Postby newbie_noob » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi, I have two problems.

First one, my internal wifi card on my laptop doesn't work with lmkde12, how can I fix that?
I have an external wifi usb adapter that however do work directly.

Secondo, after having sent my password to connect to a wifi network (wpa, leap), I got asked to create a password for Kwallet and I canceled that.
The connection worked fine.
Later (after a reboot), I tried to connect to the network, but each time got a pop-up of Kwallet asking to create a password for Kwallet. After several tries to connect without that Kwallet thing I gave up and created one password for it. Then, nothing hapenned, it did not connect to the network. Now, there is just *nothing* that happens when I click on the network I want to connect to.

claudecat
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wifi and Kwallet

Postby claudecat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:59 am

You could try this:
Disable the KDE Wallet entirely under System Settings/Account Details/KDE Wallet - uncheck the "Enable the KDE Wallet Subsystem". That may result in your wireless working again. If not, go into the network settings and delete your existing connection, then make a new one using the same settings. The wallet won't get in your way this time.
As for your internal wifi card, what is the make and model? You may need to simply download a firmware file for it, but you'll need to know which one it is. From the terminal, lspci or lsusb should show you that info.

newbie_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Postby newbie_noob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 pm

I disabled the kdewallet and deleted my connection configuration, but there is just nothing that happens when I click on the network name to connect, and on any other wifi network.

For the driver, this is the info on the model from lspci: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless Lan Controller (rev 01).

I have a new problem with kde, I opened an mp3 file to try the differents players that there is per default: vlc, then gnome mplayer, then Amarok. When I started with Amarok, all my widget got a black background, and their font turned grey, which is very hard to read. The panel tool too, in fact, almost everything. I clicked to close Amarok, and the gui closed, but the music was still playing, and the Amarok process was still running. I closed the process and the music stoped. However, the color theme is got changed, and to a very annoying color theme. How can I revert back to the default color theme for kde? And how can I prevent applications from changing my desktop settings?

claudecat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby claudecat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:32 pm

I'd fire up "Additional Drivers" (under settings). It may be that all you need is the driver for the Broadcom chip and your video card to solve both your issues.

JDinAZ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JDinAZ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 pm

newbie_noob wrote:I disabled the kdewallet and deleted my connection configuration, but there is just nothing that happens when I click on the network name to connect, and on any other wifi network.

For the driver, this is the info on the model from lspci: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless Lan Controller (rev 01).

I have a new problem with kde, I opened an mp3 file to try the differents players that there is per default: vlc, then gnome mplayer, then Amarok. When I started with Amarok, all my widget got a black background, and their font turned grey, which is very hard to read. The panel tool too, in fact, almost everything. I clicked to close Amarok, and the gui closed, but the music was still playing, and the Amarok process was still running. I closed the process and the music stoped. However, the color theme is got changed, and to a very annoying color theme. How can I revert back to the default color theme for kde? And how can I prevent applications from changing my desktop settings?

I had the graphics glitch with the very dark and hard to read boarders happen to me as well. i'm not sure what changed it or how to prevent it but this is what I did to correct it. Open System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Desktop Theme and switch it to Air.

*Edit* Also I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it but after installing the latest Catalyst ATI drivers from AMD I've not had anymore weird graphical glitches and the desktop feels much smoother.

tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tomp01 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:52 pm

My advice is to just disable KDE Wallet, I never really understood why is there anyway? It is more trouble than it is worth.

doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Postby doubled » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Can't say how strongly I agree. It is the bane of KDE! Always getting in the way, blocking wireless configuration, confounding it. I wish it would go away forever.

Sure enought, now, somebody will declare it useful. Then download it and install it and use it; but don't make us all suffer by making it default.

I feel better now!

ffabris
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ffabris » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:45 am

Return to “KDE”