nepomuk error question

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Rua
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:09 am
Location: Netherlands

Nepomuk error on startup

Post by Rua »

I keep getting two identical notifications with the following error message:
Nepomuk Indexing Agents Have Been Disabled

The Nepomuk service is not available or fully operational and attempts to rectify this have failed. Therefore indexing of all data stored in the Akonadi PIM service has been disabled, which will severely limit the cap...(here it cuts off)

The following problems were detected:

- Nepomuk is not running.
I don't really know what Nepomuk or Akonadi are but I get these messages each time I log in and it's a bit annoying. Is there a way to fix it somehow?

mbalazs81
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by mbalazs81 »

+1
Linux Mint Cinnamon

User avatar
podagee
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:45 pm
Location: hawaii

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by podagee »

im running the mint 12 kde 32bit stable and i get the same thing also after about 10 minutes on.im also wondering if there is anything different between the rc and the stable???i see no difference except the window manager not crashing as much.
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

Rua
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:09 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by Rua »

I just noticed that there is a program called AkonadiTray running in the system tray from startup. But I have no idea what it's for or why it's there. Is it really needed?

User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by kmb42vt »

I believe the idea for Linux Mint 12 KDE was to completely disable Nepomuk, Strigi and Akonadi as well as removing all of the KDE PIM packages (Kmail and such). But for some reason, Akonadi and Nepomuk were only half disabled and all the background services for both are still running on install. The doing the following will disable Akonadi and Nepomuk completely. If you decide you wish to use the indexing/tagging/rating features of Nepomuk and Strigi along 'Backup' and enabling the Akonadi server, just reverse the procedure.

***************************************
Disable Nepomuk and Akonadi
***************************************

Disabling akondi: press 'alt+f2' on the keyboard to bring up the Run dialog box, start typing 'akonadi' and 'Akonadi configuration' will appear in the drop down menu. Click it and go to the Akonadi server configuration tab, then press Stop at the bottom right plus un-check 'Use internal MYsQL server'. A notification should show that akonadi has been stopped.

1. Disable Semantic Desktop
a: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Basic Settings, un-check 'Nepomuk' and 'Strigi' if it's not already.
b: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Desktop Query, un-check “Index files on removable media” and un-check every folder under “Customise index folders…”
c: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Backup, set “Backup frequency” to Disable

2. Disable Nepomuk related notifications:
a: System Settings -> Application and System Notifications -> Manage Notifications, un-check all the “Show me a message in a popup” under “Desktop Search” and Semantic Desktop”

*************************

Much of this info came from another poster which I had to edit some due to English not being their native language but I can't seem to find that particular thread again. Hope it helps. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by Zalbor »

This hasn't worked for me, I'm still getting that error...

User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by kmb42vt »

Zalbor wrote:This hasn't worked for me, I'm still getting that error...
Hmmm, it worked for me without a problem. Double check just to make sure you accomplished everything in the instructions and be sure you reboot afterwards. I'm not booted into LM 12 KDE at the moment so I can't check exactly where you can set LM 12 KDE to log into an empty session rather than the previous session (default) but if, after you double check, it's still happening you could set KDE to log into an empty session at startup but I don't think that will make a difference. Doesn't hurt anything to set it that way. I set mine to an empty session first thing after install.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by Zalbor »

Sorry, I had missed "step 0" in your instructions. It's fine now, thanks.

neilwin
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:32 am

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by neilwin »

Thanks for the list of instructions to follow to sort this, I too had this problem which now seems to be sorted. Strangely on Mint 10 KDE all I did was your instruction 1a and it worked. I did not have to do all the other stuff.

I have always thought that the great advantage on Linux was that users have a choice about their set up. If you don't like a particular package which happens to be included in the install you can remove it. However, with this Akonadi nonsense, it seems to be not the case. I have been told that trying to remove akonadi can cause a lot of problems. Just disable it but leave it there. To me this goes against the whole ethos of Linux.

SsAnubis
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by SsAnubis »

These instructions worked so thanks for taking the time to put them up.
kmb42vt wrote:I believe the idea for Linux Mint 12 KDE was to completely disable Nepomuk, Strigi and Akonadi as well as removing all of the KDE PIM packages (Kmail and such). But for some reason, Akonadi and Nepomuk were only half disabled and all the background services for both are still running on install. The doing the following will disable Akonadi and Nepomuk completely. If you decide you wish to use the indexing/tagging/rating features of Nepomuk and Strigi along 'Backup' and enabling the Akonadi server, just reverse the procedure.

***************************************
Disable Nepomuk and Akonadi
***************************************

Disabling akondi: press 'alt+f2' on the keyboard to bring up the Run dialog box, start typing 'akonadi' and 'Akonadi configuration' will appear in the drop down menu. Click it and go to the Akonadi server configuration tab, then press Stop at the bottom right plus un-check 'Use internal MYsQL server'. A notification should show that akonadi has been stopped.

1. Disable Semantic Desktop
a: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Basic Settings, un-check 'Nepomuk' and 'Strigi' if it's not already.
b: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Desktop Query, un-check “Index files on removable media” and un-check every folder under “Customise index folders…”
c: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Backup, set “Backup frequency” to Disable

2. Disable Nepomuk related notifications:
a: System Settings -> Application and System Notifications -> Manage Notifications, un-check all the “Show me a message in a popup” under “Desktop Search” and Semantic Desktop”

*************************

Much of this info came from another poster which I had to edit some due to English not being their native language but I can't seem to find that particular thread again. Hope it helps. :)
It doesn't seem to be a very practiced habit on these forums but this really should be stickied or placed in a central repository aka a FAQ section for future reference of the Mint community. Also, if you would like to avoid this issue altogether I've found that it's a result of using an existing partition containing your home directory. Ubuntu based distros have a habit of using old config files without question and that's where this error came from (I've had similar issues with other distros). I'm not entirely certain which file needs deleted or modified so I simply deleted all the hidden files and folders in my home directory except for ones like .mozilla and such that I knew had nothing to do with the overall desktop setup, ran the install again and the error no longer presented itself.

I'm sure someone out there with a firmer knowledge of KDE would know more precisely which file needs deleted/modified than my solution, but I figured I would throw it out there incase anyone might be interested or wanted to build upon it..

Rua
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:09 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by Rua »

I did keep my home directory but it was from Mint 11 main edition, so I don't know how that could affect KDE...

User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Nepomuk error on startup

Post by kmb42vt »

SsAnubis wrote:These instructions worked so thanks for taking the time to put them up.
kmb42vt wrote:I believe the idea for Linux Mint 12 KDE was to completely disable Nepomuk, Strigi and Akonadi as well as removing all of the KDE PIM packages (Kmail and such). But for some reason, Akonadi and Nepomuk were only half disabled and all the background services for both are still running on install. The doing the following will disable Akonadi and Nepomuk completely. If you decide you wish to use the indexing/tagging/rating features of Nepomuk and Strigi along 'Backup' and enabling the Akonadi server, just reverse the procedure....
It doesn't seem to be a very practiced habit on these forums but this really should be stickied or placed in a central repository aka a FAQ section for future reference of the Mint community. Also, if you would like to avoid this issue altogether I've found that it's a result of using an existing partition containing your home directory. Ubuntu based distros have a habit of using old config files without question and that's where this error came from (I've had similar issues with other distros). I'm not entirely certain which file needs deleted or modified so I simply deleted all the hidden files and folders in my home directory except for ones like .mozilla and such that I knew had nothing to do with the overall desktop setup, ran the install again and the error no longer presented itself.

I'm sure someone out there with a firmer knowledge of KDE would know more precisely which file needs deleted/modified than my solution, but I figured I would throw it out there incase anyone might be interested or wanted to build upon it..
This Linux Mint 12 KDE (RC) install was to a freshly formatted test partition (ext4) on my hard drive so a previous Home partition didn't apply here when I saw the problem and found a solution. I actually never reuse an old Home partition for my even my main Distro as I prefer to start fresh formatted partitions for an upgrade to the next version.

And I agree, solutions like this should be stickied but while these are some of the best forums in the Linux distro world, the monitoring and organization of "solutions" could be improved. In this case it takes a moderator to to "sticky" a post and I ain't one. :wink:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

User avatar
podagee
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:45 pm
Location: hawaii

nepomuk error question

Post by podagee »

currently running mint 12 kde 32bit and im sure it happens on the 64bit also.the nepomuk file indexing errors are getting quite annoying.does anyone have a solution to it?
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

User avatar
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9925
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: nepomuk error question

Post by Oscar799 »

Threads merged - same question
Image

SpfldCynic
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:42 am

Re: nepomuk error question

Post by SpfldCynic »

@kmb42vt

Thank you for posting those fixes!!

I do have a newb question though. This is basically my first Linux experience. If I wanted to make the indexing and search work, would I need to redownload and install the items I just disabled? ( I know you said reverse those processes to use them, but that would lead to the same errors coming up, would it not?) Or does Mint 12 KDE have a different option for indexing etc?

Thanks again, fixed my error popups!

User avatar
podagee
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:45 pm
Location: hawaii

Re: nepomuk error question(SOLVED)

Post by podagee »

after upgrading to kde 4.8 i actually no longer see the error pop up.
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

guimaster
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:16 am

Re: nepomuk error question(SOLVED)

Post by guimaster »

podagee wrote:after upgrading to kde 4.8 i actually no longer see the error pop up.
Interesting.... You lost the error simply by upgrading to 4.8? I suppose that doing so would automatically enable the Nepomuk & Akonadi services... I'll go for that solution as I've heard that 4.8 is a beauty!

awolf
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

Re: nepomuk error question

Post by awolf »

So, I'm planning to update to KDE 4.8... and anyway, I'm not sure I understand what Nepomuk and Akonadi are for, but if Mint wanted to disable them, should I want to disable them myself?
If Nepomuk is anything like Tagger or Punakea on my Mac (programs for sorting files by tags within the system), I might be interested. I like the idea of file sorting with tags and not only with the limitations of folders... But if there's a better tool for file tagging and organization (whether in the system or via some independent interface / structure)...

And Akonadi? Is there something about syncing user systems, like addresses and calendar and such? Is that what it's related to? I like that idea, but what would Mint be proposing instead for that?
Aaron Wolf
music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

Post Reply

Return to “KDE”