Unable to move panel aplets (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
oxf

Unable to move panel aplets (SOLVED)

Postby oxf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 am

I'm using Mint 16 Xfce.

I have to simple panels at the top and botom of the screen. For some reason on the lower one it won't alow me to move applets over to the right side and they are all pushed to the left. I've looked in the panel preferences > Items and can't see anything stopping it like spacers etc. And the panel is unlocked

Specifically what happens is this. I right click on the applet, select move and when I try and drag it a red vertical line pops up to the right of the applet and even though I take it right to the right it just flies back to it's original postion.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks
Kate
Last edited by oxf on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Unable to move panel aplets

Postby gold_finger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 pm

oxf,

Just did a test run in VBox and had same problem as you described. Played around with it for a bit and found that it appears to default to aligning everything on the left when no separators are used.

To solve the problem, I added a separator and placed it in first (left-most) position; set its properties to "expand". (Assuming you don't want to see the separator, also set it to "transparent".) Then everything shifted to far right instead. From there you can move what you want back to the left using method you described.

You could also just place that expanded separator before the one or more items you want to be on the right.

If you want some items to be near the center of panel instead of far right and left, you need to use a combination of "expanded" separators -- one set to the right of the left-hand icons and one to the left of the right-hand icons. Then when you place an item between those two separators it will appear at center of panel.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

oxf

Re: Unable to move panel aplets

Postby oxf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks! that has fixed it. I don't know how I missed that, I thought I checked "expand" but apparently not!

Return to “XFCE”