[ Solved ] Maximize, Minimize and Close buttons gone

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
FBluedevil
Level 1
Level 1

[ Solved ] Maximize, Minimize and Close buttons gone

Post by FBluedevil » Tue May 03, 2011 8:31 am

After a recent update I ran into the following problems with my windows. The minimize, maximize and close buttons no longer appear on any of the windows. Also none of my windows can be dragged using the top bar. I can re-size windows using the handle on the lower right but that's about it.

I don't know how to go about trouble-shooting this. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Last edited by FBluedevil on Tue May 03, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Maximize, Minimize and Close buttons gone

Post by MaddogF16 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:17 pm

From their wiki:

Help, my panel/task bar/desktop/window borders has disappeared

As Xfce is modular by design all of those visual elements are actually separate processes. You can just start their process again to regain them. If you want to make sure that they are started again next time you login you should check the “Save session for future logins” in the logout dialog or check “Save session automatically on logout” in “Sessions and startup settings”.

Panel xfce4-panel
Taskbar xftaskbar4 (Xfce 4.2 only)
Window Manager xfwm4
Desktop xfdesktop (can depend on the dbus service, Xfce 4.4 only)

FBluedevil
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Maximize, Minimize and Close buttons gone

Post by FBluedevil » Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm

MaddogF16

Thanks, I had not considered checking the XFCE site. I ran xfwm4 from the terminal and now everything is working again. :D

Many Thanks!

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [ Solved ] Maximize, Minimize and Close buttons gone

Post by aljoriz » Thu May 05, 2011 4:41 am

I was supposed to start a new thread lucky for me I saw this... THANK YOU!

jobgt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jobgt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi guys, I'm newbie on Linux, I installed Linux Mint XFCE, at the beginning everything was fine, after some updates I have the same problem, I can't see minimize, maximize and close buttons, and I can't change between windows, I mean, alt+tab doesn't work and when I open a new app this window comes in to the front and I can't change to the windows behind that, I click the other window and nothing happens.

Also the app that opened doesn't show in the panel bar. I try to change window behavior but window manager doesn't work, I can't do anything on window manager, shows only a blank window.

I read in other forum that right click to the panel, add panel, add window list, but still doesn't work.

I read that you say but I don't understand how to fix that, can you be more specific, the command to run.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

xfwm4

then press enter. This should restart your window manager and recover your buttons.
Registered Linux User 483387

jobgt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jobgt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:03 am

That's amazing, so easy if you know the answer. Thanks Aging, everything was fixed.

knownmystery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by knownmystery » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post ever in the forum. I just installed Linux Mint 11 and when I started using it I could see the buttons on the upper right hand side of the windows as usually but then they just disappeared on me and I didn't even touched anything. I've tried typing the code you mentioned here into the terminal but it tells me this message:

~ $ xfwm4
xfwm4-Message: To replace the current window manager, try "--replace"

(xfwm4:3082): xfwm4-WARNING **: Another Window Manager is already running

So I don't know what to do please, I am new to Linux and I have no idea how to solve this and as you can imaging coming from Windows it is very uncomfortable for me to not have those buttons available.

Thanks a lot guys!!

knownmystery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by knownmystery » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Never mind!! I just figured it out! I read in another post that I this one for those who are still looking for the answer:

"Re: Problem with small buttons.

Postby conslie on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 pm
Try getting fusion-icon from the Package Manager. It should the appear as Compiz Fusion Icon in the Mint Menu. Run it and it should appear on the panel. Right click and choose Select Window Decorator, pick Emerald and the re-select GTK."

So this solved my problem! Thanks guys!

DeadlyDaddio
Level 1
Level 1

Where oh Where has my Title Menu Bar gone...

Post by DeadlyDaddio » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Good Eve Fellow Mint Enthusiasts,

I've been using Ubuntu for years but this year I took time to test other distros, most fortunately Linux Mint 10 and now 11 DVD x64. I was just so pleased to discover just how refined Linux has become, well Mint Linux anyway... I don't particularly like the non-configurable Ubuntu interface though v11.10 looks pretty solid and thus I am greatly looking forward to the next version of Mint Linux 12 DVD x64.

I have a favorite old (heavy) MSI 17" Turion 64 / Radeon x700 video equipped laptop that I purchased for a client many years ago for around $2500 and this year he finally wanted to get a new more powerful unit. When I ran a check (via the Hard Drives SMART info), I was utterly shocked to discover that in around 5 years, this client had used this lovely, expensive unit for only 36+ hrs.

Damn, I gave him a $100 tradein value on the unit, being as old and heavy as it is and promptly installed Mint Linux 10 DVD x64 with wonderful, snappy reliable performance. Upgrading to 11 was a breeze and works even better. Certainly prettier especially equipped with the Avant Window Navigator (AWN), configured just right!

OK, enough wind-bagging it, I did something lame and accidently clicked something in the upper Lft hand corner of a window and poof... All of my Title Menu Bars are now missing on every program with the single exception of Chromium which has it's own Title Menu Bar...

Would someone kindly know where I can look to restore my Title Menu Bars on all programs? I've looked everywhere and can NOT find anything on this anywhere or in the forums other than loose references to the problem that no one has responded to or have responded with solution not relevant to my particular blunder...

Thanks so much Mint team, you all produce the finest, most refined Linux distribution on the planet!

Daddio

PS: Terribly sorry but I seemed to have posted in the Xfce forum though my post is regarding the Mint Flagship DVD x64 version. I found this via forum search but didn't check which corner of the forum it was located in...
Linux Mint 18.3 x64 KDE AMD A10-7890K, MSI A88XM Gaming MB, 16GB DDR3 2400 GS, AMD R7 SSDs (120GB for Mint, 120GB Win10, 512GB SamSSD Win7-64 Ult, 512GB SamSSD Gaming & Scratch), and also on my 17.3" AMD Phenom II laptop.

Return to “Xfce”