[SOLVED]Background not correct after updates.

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gideond
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Background not correct after updates.

Post by gideond »

I ran the latest batch of updates last night via Mint Update (levels 1-5). This morning I rebooted and got hit with all the XFCE changes, which I quickly figured out. However, my desktop background will not display correctly. I can see the chosen image briefly at startup or shutdown but then it is replaced by the default background and shortcuts. I've run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade which found a few more updates this morning, but still nothing is fixing the desktop issue. I can change the background and see the change has taken effect during that brief glimpse I see of it but the default background still remains in place the rest of the time. Any idea on fixing this?
Last edited by gideond on Mon May 09, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gideond
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Background not correct after updates.

Post by gideond »

I may have fixed this myself. I figured it was an issue with Nautilus on the system (not sure exactly what installed Nautilus to begin with.) I did a complete removal of Nautilus and upon logout and login my regular desktop was back again. Was this the right thing to do? I haven't noticed any issues yet.

kjuergen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kjuergen »

I have the same problem and removing Nautilus doesn't help.
The broken right click menu has a change background entry and I just navigated to the background I wanted and now it's there. Now I have to try to get the right click menu fixed.

A lot of things are broken/non-functional in the settings manager.......

Looks to me that running XFCE on top of a gnome system isn't the best Linux experience...... If there only would be a distribution which only does security updates and application upgrades for things like LibreOffice aso.

Edit: Heureka!!!! I went into my main system and rebooted the XFCE machine and what a surprise: everything is back to what I want it to be..

Juergen

gideond
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gideond »

I wasn't really expecting the Nautilus removal to work but it did for me. I've done a full reboot now and no more issues. Hopefully I can keep this old PC running a while longer.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This is odd cause I just updated and Nautulis wasn't installed.
Maybe the package that recommended it to be installed was fixed.
Can you all list what you have installed since you installed Linux Mint Debian Xfce?
I have a vanilla install and for some reason I can't reproduce this problem.

gideond
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gideond »

There are only two things I can think of that may have triggered a Nautilus install. Those would be the Mint Menu and Dropbox. This is a test machine so I really haven't installed much on it.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

gideond wrote:There are only two things I can think of that may have triggered a Nautilus install. Those would be the Mint Menu and Dropbox. This is a test machine so I really haven't installed much on it.
I have mintmenu installed but not dropbox.

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

There are only two things I can think of that may have triggered a Nautilus install. Those would be the Mint Menu and Dropbox
No. A docky probably is the "guilty" party, cairo, awn or even mint-meta-debian.
That is the main problem in Software Manager's current version: it does not show you all the packages that they are going to be installed . And that's way synaptic seems -for the moment- the best place for installations.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

gideond
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gideond »

Yep you are probably correct. I forgot that I had installed Docky but never turned it on. I activated it and it seems to work correctly without Nautilus though.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Well the package dropbox actually installs dropbox-nautilus so that may be the problem.

gideond
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gideond »

merlwiz79 wrote:Well the package dropbox actually installs dropbox-nautilus so that may be the problem.
That's what I was thinking. Dropbox still seems to be running fine after removing Nautilus so hopefully it isn't going to cause any issues.

Return to “Xfce”