gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 am

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:09 am
I rather like the idea of dropping software-sources from the Ubuntu stack, though. It's sloppy and messy to have two tools for software sources control in Ubuntu, yours and the official Ubuntu tool. Especially since it may cause the spooky mintsources trouble.
Thank you very much but there is nothing sloppy or messy about that tool and it is perfectly compatible with Ubuntu as well as existing software. It is also perfectly independent of the mintsources package. Furthermore, mintupdate does not depend on it, either, so nobody is forcing you to install it if that is all you want.
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:09 am
Can you perhaps put the (very useful) one-click repair buttons of your software-sources in a separate tool called e.g. sources-repair or something like that?
I have no plans of doing so.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 am

Loud and clear, and no doubt about it. :lol:

Just to leave no room for misunderstanding: I didn't call your sources tool sloppy and messy, I called having two different sources tools sloppy and messy (with the new tool not having all the features of the old one, too).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:13 am

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 am
Just to leave no room for misunderstanding: I didn't call your sources tool sloppy and messy, I called having two different sources tools sloppy and messy (with the new tool not having all the features of the old one, too).
I understood you, but it still comes down to the same thing. Nearly everything on Linux has several commands to it, it's just the nature of the ecosystem. And software-sources is no subset of the feature set of software-properties-gtk, the feature sets are quite different and even where functionality overlaps the implementation is quite different. Look, it's you who wanted to bring these things to Ubuntu - it's ok if you want to backpedal now but don't lay this on me. I got no subscription to your agenda.

As a side note, I may eventually enable Ubuntu mirror support in software-sources. It's no priority to me at all but it's certainly desirable.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 am

OK.... After pondering this with a mug of coffee from freshly ground Arabica beans, I've decided that I won't spend additional time in testing software-sources: I'll simply do away with software-sources in my Ubuntu how-to's.

Apparently Ubuntu deeply deplores dethroning software-properties-gtk; I've never before had to repeat a removal command twice. Nor was I ever before confronted by apt-get with the demand to type in "Yes, do what I say!". I don't like it, it's disconcerting, it may needlessly scare off users.

In short: the price for those nifty one-click repair buttons in software-sources is too high. I want clean normal behaviour in all potential use cases (install methods and removal methods).

So my new advice to Ubuntu users will be: install mintupdate and Timeshift only.

Onward! Let's conquer those Ubuntu desktops with a superior Update Manager. :mrgreen:

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:41 am

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 am
OK.... After pondering this with a mug of coffee from freshly ground Arabica beans, I've decided that I won't spend additional time in testing software-sources: I'll simply do away with software-sources in my Ubuntu how-to's.

Apparently Ubuntu deeply deplores dethroning software-properties-gtk; I've never before had to repeat a removal command twice. Nor was I ever before confronted by apt-get with the demand to type in "Yes, do what I say!". I don't like it, it's disconcerting, it may needlessly scare off users.
Ubuntu couldn't care less, it's intentional behaviour due to mintsources being marked as an essential package, plus bad packaging due to it replacing parts of software-properties-gtk, but both of those are Clem's/Mint's decisions that I won't interfere with.

Yet that still has got nothing to do with my software-sources package. Anyway, let's stop it here, I'm sounding like a broken record, so let's just each keep doing what we are doing. ;)

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:40 pm

OK, now that you guys are having a break, may I ask a question? Thank you.

I've been having annoying networking problems lately and after much tinkering came to the conclusion that the latest 5.0 kernels - namely 5.0.0-32 to 5.0.0-34 - are the culprits. Download speed gets throttled/bottlenecked in certain applications. I found 5.0.0-31 to be the latest acceptable one. However, I don't want to uninstall the newer ones, at least for now, and I do want to allow further kernel updates for testing purposes in case the issue gets fixed.

Question is: is there a way to set a particular kernel as default, ignoring any other newer ones that are currently installed, so any startup/reboot would always use that and only that kernel until further change?
Additional question: if possible, could that be done through the Kernels window in Update Manager, and could we have an additional mark such as default for it?

OveS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OveS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm

I would remove the newer ones. If they don't work properly, why keep them around?
You can always install them again if you want.

By the way, have you tried the 5.3 kernels? I'm very satisfied with 5.3
--
Ideapad 530S-14ARR - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, Thinkpad X240 - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon,
MacBook Pro 15" (mid-2010), iMac 20" (early-2008), Raspberry Pi 2, 3 and 4

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:40 pm
OK, now that you guys are having a break, may I ask a question? Thank you.
I know, right? This whole Ubuntu side-show is creating a lot of noise. ;)
Drugwash wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:40 pm
Question is: is there a way to set a particular kernel as default, ignoring any other newer ones that are currently installed, so any startup/reboot would always use that and only that kernel until further change?
Additional question: if possible, could that be done through the Kernels window in Update Manager, and could we have an additional mark such as default for it?
To your first question: Yes, of course, there's several ways of doing that. The way I've got my system set up is such that it always boots the last booted kernel unless you specifically select another one. For that your /etc/default/grub must have this:

Code: Select all

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
instead of GRUB_DEFAULT=0 that's usually in there. Then sudo update-grub and you're good.

The same limitations apply as for my "Reboot to another kernel" functionality, i.e. it won't work with RAID, LVM or other setups that prevent GRUB from writing to its environment block.

The alternative is to set GRUB_DEFAULT to a specific menu entry, which would then have to be adjusted as kernels get added. This would work on all systems.

Since my "Reboot to another kernel" functionality already includes a grub.cfg parser that i wrote I could indeed do that automatically on supported systems. Unfortunately I never received any feedback on that functionality despite specifically asking so I'm not sure whether it's actually working for people. In particular with non-standard setups like GRUB customizer and all that. Here's my original post about it: viewtopic.php?p=1646536#p1646536

Anyway, it's an interesting idea, I'll consider it. Implementation/presentation throughout the application would have to be carefully considered to prevent users from accidentally configuring this and then not understanding why they never boot to updated kernels. Reminds me that I also wanted to add functionality to let the user toggle whether a kernel should get removed by the automatic maintenance service eventually or not.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:17 pm

OveS wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm
why keep them around?
For several reasons: maybe I did something wrong, maybe it's applications' fault... I don't like installing/uninstalling/reinstalling - if I take something out then there must be a strong reason and it's gonna be forever. For now I may wanna try certain other combination of kernels and future versions of the applications.
OveS wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm
have you tried the 5.3 kernels?
No, I haven't. I recall some report (by gm10?) about the 5.3 line being unsatisfactory in some regards so I postponed testing until further details. Someday I may try those but considering my ten-year old hardware a line may have to be drawn in regard to updates - be it kernel or anything else.
Later edit:
I tried the 5.3.0-21 kernel and it errored out at building the nVidia 340.107 modules. Can't go higher with the nVidia drivers for my video card so I guess that's it, I gotta stop at the 5.0 line.
End edit

Thank you for your interest.
gm10 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm
This whole Ubuntu side-show is creating a lot of noise.
It's OK, everybody has the right to their own show. After all it's for a good cause.
gm10 wrote:
The way I've got my system set up is such that it always boots the last booted kernel
That's not exactly what I had in mind; if I test a different kernel and get tired, go to sleep, next day I might forget it and boot to the same kernel - extra hassle to reboot and choose the "good" one (if I can remember which one is it).
gm10 wrote:
The alternative is to set GRUB_DEFAULT to a specific menu entry, which would then have to be adjusted
That one doesn't seem ideal either - adjustments are easy to forget, especially for a guy like me with memory issues.
gm10 wrote:
Since my "Reboot to another kernel" functionality already includes a grub.cfg parser that i wrote I could indeed do that automatically on supported systems. Unfortunately I never received any feedback on that functionality
Actually I just used that option to get into 5.0.0-31 after all testing so it seems to work, at least on my system. And your mentioning of Grub Customizer reminded me I have it installed and had used it long ago to set up a splash image, resolution and font colors; looking right now in its options I see it can change the default entry to a specific one. I'm gonna set it up and try it on next reboot (which can take a few days if nothing goes horribly wrong).
Even later edit:
I did reboot this morning after changing GRUB default item and it didn't work - it still booted with latest 5.0.0-34 instead of 5.0.0-31. :(
(tried to attach a screenshot but got slapped in the face by a 'file too large' message - who is messing with these things?! :( 323kB is too large? )
End edit

However, for those not using Grub Customizer (I know how much fuss it generated around the board in the past) some similar options in Update Manager might be the best choice. ;)
gm10 wrote:
let the user toggle whether a kernel should get removed by the automatic maintenance service eventually or not.
That could be useful for those that don't want to keep all old kernels except for one or a select few. I had to disable the automatic cleanup altogether and reinstall 5.0.0-31 that had just been automatically deleted few days ago.
Last edited by Drugwash on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:17 pm
That could be useful for those that don't want to keep all old kernels except for one or a select few. I had to disable the automatic cleanup altogether and reinstall 5.0.0-31 that had just been automatically deleted few days ago.
Yeah, although the automatic maintenance should not touch manually installed kernels, so that one should be safe now even if you re-enable the service. It's only cleaning up those which were installed as an update.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:06 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 pm
It's only cleaning up those which were installed as an update.
I know, it was just bad timing. Still, manually marking some automatic updates as "pinned" (unremovable) would be useful in some corner cases.

Please check the later edits above.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:16 am

Update:

Total views of my "ubuntuplus" page in English:

And in Dutch:

The higher Dutch number is probably caused by the fact that I've posted about it on the Dutch Ubuntu forum. Perhaps I should also do that on the English Ubuntu forum.

What's the current traffic count on your Launchpad for mintupdate for Ubuntu?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:42 am

It's no doubt because you posted about it. I usually see my downloads spike after I recommend the PPA to solve a problem in some thread, it's just how these things work. ;)
Pjotr wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:16 am
What's the current traffic count on your Launchpad for mintupdate for Ubuntu?
The mintupdate download count is up by a few hundred, but the required dependency mint-common only by 25, so either launchpad is being its usual buggy self or I managed to add a bug myself somewhere leading to that - feels like an automatic self-update bug with the app repeatedly cycling trying to update itself, but I'm not aware of any such issue currently.
Last edited by gm10 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:37 am

A potential bug, but with a caveat, because of insufficient information: on the Dutch Ubuntu forum a guy testing your mintupdate on his Xubuntu 18.04 reported that the kernel tool kept showing a spinning wheel endlessly. He "solved" it like this:

- First the background: his Xubuntu was running on an unsupported 5.3.1.x mainline kernel, which was the only kernel his Xubuntu had. This mainline kernel was not installed with your kernel tool, but months earlier by someone else. Apparently the laptop was sold to him like that (the guy isn't very proficient with Linux).

- On my advice he applied this solution: he installed the linux-image-generic-hwe-18.04-edge package (by means of Synaptic), which gave him the official 5.3.0-19 kernel. Then he booted from that new official kernel, removed the unsupported mainline kernel and voilà: your kernel tool worked completely fine again.

For what it's worth.... I might ask him for more information, but in view of his level of proficiency I'm not sure whether that would be helpful.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:37 am
A potential bug, but with a caveat, because of insufficient information: on the Dutch Ubuntu forum a guy testing your mintupdate on his Xubuntu 18.04 reported that the kernel tool kept showing a spinning wheel endlessly. He "solved" it like this:
If he tested that across reboots and it stayed that way then it would indeed be a bug, otherwise maybe the package management system was busy. It's a shame I cannot debug it now because you worked around it and I assume no log was kept, either. I'm not aware of any issues with that.

The tool obviously supports mainline kernels, so that alone cannot be it. It does not matter how they were installed, either. In fact the worst thing that should be able to happen even with custom or self-compiled kernels is that said kernel might simply not be shown in the list and be unable to be removed via the kernel window, but that's all.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 am

Yeah, well, let's leave it at that.... I was already unsure to begin with, whether it would have any use to report such an insufficiently documented issue at all. :P

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 am
I was already unsure to begin with, whether it would have any use to report such an insufficiently documented issue at all. :P
It's always useful, maybe I'll get another insufficiently documented report about the same issue tomorrow but together they provide all the pieces of the puzzle I would need. ;)

If it happens again it would be great if you could ask them for a copy of the log , and if it's got nothing, then also to quit the app, start it again from a terminal window, reproduce the bug and post any terminal output, too.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am

i have a feature request, can we maybe get rid of the password dialog in installing kernels? or a way to disable it in advanced options? dude, i'm so tired of entering passwords every freakin time i do anything to my root. i keep editing /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.linuxmint.mintupdate @root_functions but every update reverts it defaults

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:29 am

trytip wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am
i have a feature request, can we maybe get rid of the password dialog in installing kernels? or a way to disable it in advanced options? dude, i'm so tired of entering passwords every freakin time i do anything to my root. i keep editing /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.linuxmint.mintupdate @root_functions but every update reverts it defaults
Heh, you must have hated the official version then because it was asking for a password left and right. At least mine only asks for it once and then you're authenticated for the entire app, including the apps it can launch.

I'm not sure I want to add such an option but I'll think about it. But if you just want to disable password prompts altogether I suggest you override that globally with a pkla, just configure this for your user/group/anyone and you'll never be bothered again by any application:

Code: Select all

Action=*
ResultActive=yes
(here's an unrelated example from my hibernation guide on how the file should look and where it goes: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=284100&p=1569661#5)

Otherwise, to prevent just a single file like my authentication policy from getting overwritten by a package update have a look at dpkg-divert.

Everything is possible. :)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Another Ubuntu user reports that he's happy with your mintupdate, this time on the international Ubuntu forum:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13905318

Return to “Community Projects”