gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by trytip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 am

OMFG how many times do i have to kill this damm password. can you please leave my settings alone already. :mrgreen:
i mean you already operate outside of mint/ubuntu can we not program something that leaves my settings alone PLEASE ? enough i have to enter my password and jump through squiggly letters proving i'm just a bloke for online banking, when i get home i want to be PASSWORD FREE on my own damm computer

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 am

trytip wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 am
OMFG how many times do i have to kill this damm password. can you please leave my settings alone already. :mrgreen:
i mean you already operate outside of mint/ubuntu can we not program something that leaves my settings alone PLEASE ?
Let's not do this again, I already told you what you can do:
viewtopic.php?p=1712323#p1712323

Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 am

trytip wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 am
i mean you already operate outside of mint/ubuntu can we not program something that leaves my settings alone PLEASE ? enough i have to enter my password and jump through squiggly letters proving i'm just a bloke for online banking, when i get home i want to be PASSWORD FREE on my own damm computer
You may want that. I most certainly do not.

I consider the current password requirements as an essential part of the security of my Linux operating system. For God's sake no concessions to bloody "user-friendliness" in that respect, please. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 am

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 am
I consider the current password requirements as an essential part of the security of my Linux operating system. For God's sake no concessions to bloody "user-friendliness" in that respect, please. :mrgreen:
Well, I have some, you don't need to authenticate for self-updates (because they are not optional) and you only need to authenticate once to gain access to all features. And you do not need to authenticate to refresh the repository indexes but that's similar with Mint's version.

But some things need to be locked behind an authentication wall so they are not freely accessible to any person and software accessing your computer. In fact I had even considered requiring authentication to change any of the preferences because somebody disabling your automatic refreshes, adding all updates to your ignore list or disabling your automated system snapshots can also be very problematic. But I decided against it because I thought users would rebel, not being used to it. That's why only the automation features in preferences require authentication. ;)

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 am
and you only need to authenticate once to gain access to all features.
so in order for me not to input passwords i first have to input a password, got it :D don't want to get offtopic and i do thank you for your work, i couldn't do it, don't even know how to do it.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 am

trytip wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 am
gm10 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 am
and you only need to authenticate once to gain access to all features.
so in order for me not to input passwords i first have to input a password, got it :D don't want to get offtopic and i do thank you for your work, i couldn't do it, don't even know how to do it.
You're welcome, and I linked you my post where I explained how to disable passwords system-wide. Certainly you understand why this will never become the default for the application.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 am

he he made me chuckle comment from some users that wants the same thing
Yes, please. How will this break the system? Not this! Something stupid that you do after this will break the system, but not this! This will allow you to do anything on the host without password. If you do something stupid, you'll break the system. If you have to put the password and you do something stupid, you will break the system. This, per-se, just makes it a bit easier to do something stupid. – dangonfast Jun 25 '15 at 7:27
pure GOLD

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Today, I've updated the contents of my "semi-frozen" PPA to version 1:6.0.5. In my testing I couldn't find any showstopper bugs and it's polished enough.

Well done, gm10, and thanks! :)

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm
Today, I've updated the contents of my "semi-frozen" PPA to version 1:6.0.5. In my testing I couldn't find any showstopper bugs and it's polished enough.

Well done, gm10, and thanks! :)
Sure thing. I actually have a few things coming up still (mostly for software-sources) that should still go on yours before you freeze but otherwise I agree, I'm feeling good with the state of things. Regarding your qualification "showstopper" bugs - found any other bugs? :)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:56 pm
Regarding your qualification "showstopper" bugs - found any other bugs? :)
One or two minor ones. Nothing important.

I'll try to reproduce them with enough useful information for you. Will probably have to wait until Thursday, because tomorrow is a busy day for me.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am
Or even unless you can keep reproducing this. There was no recent update to apt. Maybe you changed to the 5.3 kernel and are experiencing the same issues as I do with it.
There have been system updates related to networking, CPU microcode and so on on the Ubuntu side (remember I have Romeo packages enabled).
Kernel is still the same 5.0.0-31; last time I tried 5.3 it wouldn't build the nVidia video driver so I wouldn't waste time with it since.
There are constant updates to the P2P application too as I'm using the development version (which has reached the RC stage recently).
So anything could trigger the unwanted behavior and I wouldn't know how to find the culprit. That's why I said we should let it be, at least for now.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 am

OK, hereby some comments. Small stuff, nothing important:

1. When I launch the Preferences of your mintupdate, it opens with the General tab, which is of course as it should. The General tab is 3/4 redlined, in order to indicate that it's the active tab. Fine as well. But when I click on another tab, for instance the Automation tab, it's the General tab that keeps the red lines....

2. The panel buttons of mintupdate's main window (Clear, Select All, Refresh, Install Updates) show a rather clunky and "cheap" animation when clicked. It would be nicer if those buttons could actually be pressed, so that they seem to "sink" when pressed. Like the identical buttons in the official Update Manager of Linux Mint.

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 am

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 am
when I click on another tab, for instance the Automation tab, it's the General tab that keeps the red lines
There is no such behavior on my system with my modded theme. Could you please switch to other theme(s) and check again?
Pjotr wrote:
The panel buttons of mintupdate's main window (Clear, Select All, Refresh, Install Updates) show a rather clunky and "cheap" animation when clicked.
No such thing here either. Same advice as above. Just to make sure where the fault actually lies.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:53 am

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 am
Pjotr wrote:
when I click on another tab, for instance the Automation tab, it's the General tab that keeps the red lines
There is no such behavior on my system with my modded theme. Could you please switch to other theme(s) and check again?
Pjotr wrote:
The panel buttons of mintupdate's main window (Clear, Select All, Refresh, Install Updates) show a rather clunky and "cheap" animation when clicked.
No such thing here either. Same advice as above. Just to make sure where the fault actually lies.
Or a problem with the GNOME's Mutter compositor on Virtualbox. I can repro the first issue in an Ubuntu 18.04 VirtualBox VM using gnome-shell and the default Ambiance theme, which I assume is what Pjotr tested with. Not the second issue btw, I just get no animation at all. Switching the theme to Adwaita it all looks ok though, so maybe it's really a problem with Ubuntu's theme (I didn't install it to my real system to test).

Either way, there's not really anything I can do about that. Thanks for the report though Pjotr!

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am

Could use some pre-release feedback on a Software Sources change. Personally I don't like the duplication of entries in the listings, so I'd like to do this rather than have separate rows for the binary packages and the source packages:

Good idea? Should the column headers stay as in the screenshot? I think "Enabled" instead of "Binaries" is easier for newbies to understand but you may disagree.

Frankly the only reason against it that I can find is that this would be PPA-specific, for third-party repositories often do not have source code repositories, so we would have an inconsistency whereas I had been trying to make those two views look and work the same. Not a compelling reason compared to all the UX advantages of treating PPA binary and source repos as a unit. But if you tell me it would be confusing because you've all been doing it the "old" way since the beginning of time then I'll reconsider. ;)

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 am

If you want to combine things then I'd rather have it Binaries and Sources. It would be more logical and less confusing at least for those who can make the difference. And if Binaries (only) is marked by default then maybe newbies would not mess with the settings unless they really know what they're doing.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 am
It would be more logical and less confusing at least for those who can make the difference.
I clearly need a newbie-focus group. :lol:

My thinking was that newbies won't know a thing about binaries or sources, but they can understand whether a PPA is enabled or not. Sources are basically an optional feature as on the official repositories page, so there is some consistency in that.
Drugwash wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 am
And if Binaries (only) is marked by default then maybe newbies would not mess with the settings unless they really know what they're doing.
Defaults will remain, i.e. they'll follow what you selected on the official repositories tab about source code repositories. But toggling the Enabled/Binaries column off will automatically disable Sources as well (you can theoretically enabled them again on their own though). Toggling binaries on again will enable sources again if the general source code setting is enabled. Makes sense all around I hope.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Enabled - Sources is fine, I think. But perhaps Source Code would even be clearer and logically more correct: after all, you're dealing with software sources in general.

Anyway: one line with two checkboxes is an improvement over the current two separate lines. :)
Last edited by Pjotr on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Saw the push message to fix the update manager oops, followed the CLI approach. Worked fine thanks Just loving this PPA, particularly the update manager. And especially in THAT , the kernel manager tool. I can even look at non-generic including low latency kernels for my gaming toy. I also really appreciate the more granular handling of removing old kernels. Now I can ditch UKUU on LM.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Drugwash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Drugwash » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm
they can understand whether a PPA is enabled or not.
Yes, when any of the checkboxes is enabled/marked then the PPA is enabled. What if one only wants the sources and not the binaries? Wouldn't the Enabled checkbox mislead them? We need to teach people, not spoon-feed them. (this brings me back to the 2004-2009 Miranda IM days when I used to say the same thing and nobody was listening)
Pjotr wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:43 pm
Anyway: one line with two checkboxes is an improvement over the current two separate lines.
Fully agreed on this one.

Return to “Community Projects”