gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by oldgranola »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:41 pm
oldgranola wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm
Hello gm10. I saw the self update displaying a fix for the auto launch of the kernel manager and hit the update button. However, it is still happening,
I'm very confident that it is fixed, but you have to realize that you only received the fix after applying the update, so what you were seeing was still the behaviour from the broken previous version (1:6.1.0~gm10 up to 1:6.1.4~gm10 have that problem). So I'll ignore your report for now but should you see it happening again with future updates, then by all means, please do let me know!
Gotcha. Makes total sense. Thanks
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Hi! Missed me? (I'd bet not :P )

A new old issue popped up and given the predicament I'm in (again?) it may not be your fault at all, but since it involves one of your tools I thought this should be the best place to report. It's about Software Sources, launched through Update Manager.

Some time ago I reported that upon trying to enable/disable the romeo packages or the Ubuntu pre-release packages there was a long delay or hang up of some sorts, possibly related to network issue. Can't remember if you did something about that or not, possibly yes because a few weeks ago when disabling both I think it all went through fine (damn my bad memory!). The issue came back just earlier when I tried to enable again the same options: when pulling the romeo switch it went to ON but in an indeterminate state, the window went out of focus and it stayed like that.
Now comes the funny part: when taking a screenshot of the current window, it wasn't the main window that blinked, but a smaller rectangle in the middle of it.
An invisible messagebox! I was even able to drag it around blindly (the cursor changed to a gripping hand) but couldn't interact with it by pressing Enter (like either accept or dismiss whatever it was trying to notify me).
The screenshot took whatever was in that area (514x149px) of the main window.
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 10-10-41.png
Normal messagebox would be this:
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 10-41-04.png
Now, this may be the result of whatever got screwed up on my system recently, or may be a hidden bug in Software Sources. Only you can check that. In the mean time I'll install the nVidia driver update, reboot (after a session of 6 days 14 hours) and try to reproduce the issue.

EDIT:
Seems the issue is random.
Before installing updates I checked again - Ubuntu pre-release first, then romeo. Both options presented with a visible confirmation dialog.
After reboot I checked again - romeo first (as first time), then Ubuntu pre-release. Romeo presented with the visible dialog, Ubuntu pre-release popped an invisible one. Tried tabbing+Enter but it wouldn't close, so main window had to be forcibly closed.

EDIT 2:
Dunno if it has anything to do but a week or so ago I enabled somewhere in system settings an option to prevent stealing focus. It doesn't quite work as it should - or as I thought it would.
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 11-25-58.png

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Something new I just discovered (new comment since it's new issue and can't post any more screenshots above anyway).
After all updates (including romeo and pre-release), CPU is now constantly at 67-70°C, whereas before it was at 35-45°C with same kernel - all while doing nothing "heavy".
A look in system monitor revealed software-sources.py taking a constant 23-24% of the CPU power:
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 12-18-08.png
Details:
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 12-19-13.png
Apparently each update - official or not - brings this system closer to total failure. Only the time machine could save it. Maybe.
For what it's worth here's the updates performed earlier before CPU Temperature suddenly rose.
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 10-42-39.png

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 am
Some time ago I reported that upon trying to enable/disable the romeo packages or the Ubuntu pre-release packages there was a long delay or hang up of some sorts, possibly related to network issue. Can't remember if you did something about that or not, possibly yes
Actually I don't think I did, I think I said I could reproduce a crash by toggling those buttons very quickly and repeatedly, and even then it was (for me) really hard to reproduce and it wasn't clear to me what to do about it. It seems to be a race condition in the GTK library. I'll take a look at it again, maybe I'll think of something this time.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Apparently there are no problems when disabling either option as there is no messagebox displayed at that point - only when enabling there's that Windows-like confirmation box, which reminds of an old joke:
"Do you know why Micro$oft don't build cars? Because when you hit the breaks there'd be a voice asking: «Do you really want to stop the car now?» " :lol:

Anyway, thanks for looking into it. Wish I could help with more than these reports. No, actually I wish these weird things never happened (usually only to me).

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Drugwash wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 am
Apparently there are no problems when disabling either option as there is no messagebox displayed at that point - only when enabling there's that Windows-like confirmation box
Last time I looked at it I had actually considered removing the confirmation box and just putting the text in a tooltip, for that would prevent this issue, but I decided that Mint had the right idea with the romeo popup (even though romeo is irrelevant, it's not being used), so I added the same thing for my proposed toggle. In particular the latter is not something that should be enabled accidentally.
Drugwash wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 am
(usually only to me).
In my experience the majority of users will never report bugs, they either live with them or move on to another application. That's why I don't rate bug reports by report count, I'm grateful for every single report.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Nice, right:

Your tools are looking good and doing well. As if they're made for Bodhi. :mrgreen:

By the way: are your tools 64-bit only?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 am
Nice, right:

Your tools are looking good and doing well. As if they're made for Bodhi. :mrgreen:

By the way: are your tools 64-bit only?
I see you have taken some liberties in translating the "Install Updates" button. ;) Google gives "Installeer updates" as the verified translation. Fight! :mrgreen:

The PPA builds for both i386 and amd64.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:33 pm
I see you have taken some liberties in translating the "Install Updates" button. ;) Google gives "Installeer updates" as the verified translation. Fight! :mrgreen:
My entire translator career stems from the wish to fight against the English Disease that's eating into Dutch like a cancer growth. I like English, but I love my own language as well. Worth fighting for. :twisted:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gogo1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gogo1 »

Hi gm10.
I noticed a few problems.
1. This problem can be tested in this way:
Change in PPA repo Display name or/and Description.
And then run update in mintupdate, mitupdate displays an error,
Can you add somewhere an option to autofix this problem, or in mintsources -> maintains section

2. Problem with importig keys:
Unable to import all missing keys.
eg. from this link: https://mediaarea.net/repo/deb/ubuntu/
Attachments
keyerror.png

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

gogo1 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 am
Hi gm10.
I noticed a few problems.
1. This problem can be tested in this way:
Change in PPA repo Display name or/and Description.
And then run update in mintupdate, mitupdate displays an error,
Can you add somewhere an option to autofix this problem, or in mintsources -> maintains section
Yes, this one is a bit tricky. I could even have mintupdate ignore the problem entirely (and update regardless), but the idea behind warning about these meta-data changes is that they can convey important information about the repository, e.g. your PPA owner may have added a "PPA no longer maintained" warning or something like that to the name. There's also a security-aspect to this. Ideally we'd have a popup interface asking the user about each case, but that faces some technical problems at the moment (the use of Synaptic).

I'll add it to the list of things to think over, thanks for the reminder.
gogo1 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 am
2. Problem with importig keys:
Unable to import all missing keys.
eg. from this link: https://mediaarea.net/repo/deb/ubuntu/
That's unfortunately working as intended. While my tool finds the key on the keyserver, it does check the validity of the key, and the one found there was expired. Therefore my tool rejected it.

There was, however, an up-to-date key at https://mediaarea.net/repo/deb/ubuntu/pubkey.gpg , and while my tool has no reasonable way of knowing that, I just took that key and uploaded it to the keyserver myself (which is something the maintainer of that repository should have done), so if you try again now, my tool will find the up-to-date key on the keyserver and add it successfully.

t42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t42 »

Just to let you know, I installed gm10's Linux Mint Tools in Xubuntu 19.10.
So far it's working fine!
For installation were used Pjotr's notes at Easy Linux Tips Project, 'dynamic' version (without Timeshift).
Thank you for this amazing project!

Some random details:
Update Manager: 1:6.1.5~gm10
Xubuntu 19.10
Xfce 4.14.1
Kernel 5.3.0-26-generic
systemd 242
compiler: gcc v: 9.2.1
Python 2.7.17 (default, Nov 7 2019, 10:07:09)
Python 3.7.5 (default, Nov 20 2019, 09:21:52)
-=t42=-

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

t42 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 pm
Just to let you know, I installed gm10's Linux Mint Tools in Xubuntu 19.10.
So far it's working fine!
For installation were used Pjotr's notes at Easy Linux Tips Project, 'dynamic' version (without Timeshift).
Thank you for this amazing project!
Glad you like it, thanks for the feedback! And Pjotr will be very pleased you used his size. :)

gogo1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gogo1 »

Thanks for the answer, today the importing of keys works, I forgot to wait for the new keys to be published.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

gogo1 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:24 am
Thanks for the answer, today the importing of keys works, I forgot to wait for the new keys to be published.
It's instant as soon as you upload it. Everybody can do that, so I did. I don't know if the maintainer would eventually have done it.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

Hello,
I have update manager set to show LTS kernels in preferences>advanced. However, it also shows 'low latency' kernels. I installed by mistake. Not a problem because I can uninstall of course but why would it show up at all? I don't have show "other kernels" box checked.
Recently installed:

Code: Select all

01/25/2020 06:13:08 PM linux-modules-5.4.14-050414-lowlatency <none> 5.4.14-050414.202001230832
01/25/2020 06:13:07 PM linux-image-unsigned-5.4.14-050414-lowlatency <none> 5.4.14-050414.202001230832
01/25/2020 06:12:54 PM linux-headers-5.4.14-050414 <none> 5.4.14-050414.202001230832
01/25/2020 06:12:49 PM linux-headers-5.4.14-050414-lowlatency <none> 5.4.14-050414.202001230832
FYI
Thanks
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

oldgranola wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:31 pm
I have update manager set to show LTS kernels in preferences>advanced. However, it also shows 'low latency' kernels. I installed by mistake. Not a problem because I can uninstall of course but why would it show up at all?
This is by design actually. It will always show all installed kernels no matter your selection in the dropdown so you do not lose sight of what you've got installed. It will, however, append the flavour (in this case -lowlatency) to the version in the list to indicate that this is a kernel of a different flavour than the one you have selected. The button for mass removal also affects all installed kernels.

Not a good idea? Too confusing? Personally I like it that way but I'm always open to feedback on how to improve things.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

I think it is a little confusing as it shows up and is 'checked' to install by default in the regular update manager window not just the kernel manager. It would be nice to have more control as to what shows up there.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

oldgranola wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 am
I think it is a little confusing as it shows up and is 'checked' to install by default in the regular update manager window not just the kernel manager. It would be nice to have more control as to what shows up there.
Not entirely sure what you mean here. If you install a kernel, then Update Manager will add a corresponding meta-package to your update listing to install (if not yet installed) in order to keep that kernel up-to-date. If you also have one of a different flavour installed then that one will be kept up to date as well. Once you remove all kernels of that flavour, the meta-package will be removed along with it.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:07 pm
oldgranola wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 am
Not entirely sure what you mean here. If you install a kernel, then Update Manager will add a corresponding meta-package to your update listing to install (if not yet installed) in order to keep that kernel up-to-date. If you also have one of a different flavour installed then that one will be kept up to date as well. Once you remove all kernels of that flavour, the meta-package will be removed along with it.
As far as I see, I had not installed the low latency version before but now it wants to update it which I did by mistake, then removed it. I don't understand why it lists in the update manager.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Community Projects”